Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Winter boat market?

eyed

Do you guys think there is enough market to sell a boat in the winter. I am in Columbus, Ohio so everyone is far from thinking of water time right now. I have an 06 vride, dual axle trailer, heater, alpha I's, sub, speed control, built in ballast rear and center, wedge, stainless cup-holders (mini-bling), illusion tower, and 103 hours. Just wondering how much of a hit I would be taking to sell it. I love the boat, I was just thinking of getting a 07 VTX.

Thanks,

Don

Well, you are going to take a hit either way selling an 06. I agree with Tracie, boat show time brings out buyers, if you keep it listed through the boat show season it should sell pretty easily - just make it easy for out of state buyers to feel comfortable with you and your boat.

A starting point would be to ask your dealer what they would give you on a trade - that would be your "hit" anything above that you could get from selling outright would be a bonus.

Good luck.

Talk to Spencer at Know Wake (Columbus) or No Wake (Cincinnati) and let them know that you want to sell your boat so you can buy an 07. If I remember correctly, No Wake used to have a board set up at the Cincy boat show with pics and info on used boats they were selling or were helping people sell. You might catch someone at the show who gets sticker shock at the new ones that may be interested.

By the way, the Cincy Boat Show starts on the 6th of January this year! Yahoo.gif

I checked traderonline and any comparable boat was listed for about 42k. I was thinking around 40 for mine. I think to take the least hit I would need to hold on to it for one more season before I get a new boat.

I do not think you would have a problem selling a nice Vride like that for $40k. And most states do not charge sales tax on a used boat. For instance, in AR, they don't....even if it is purchased out of state. So I saved 6.5% tax on $45,600 as opposed to if I bought the same boat from a dealer...I would be subject to tax.

I bet you sell it for $40k no problem.

Scott

I am looking for a boat like that. Would you mind sending me some pictures at [email protected]
I do not think you would have a problem selling a nice Vride like that for $40k. And most states do not charge sales tax on a used boat. For instance, in AR, they don't....even if it is purchased out of state. So I saved 6.5% tax on $45,600 as opposed to if I bought the same boat from a dealer...I would be subject to tax.

I bet you sell it for $40k no problem.

Scott

I am looking for a boat like that. Would you mind sending me some pictures at [email protected]

I wish we had your sales tax laws. If the same boat sold 3 times in one year, there would be a 5% sales tax on each sale. They tax everything in Maine, even on a core, when you do an even exchange at the auto parts store.

I'm pretty sure that in Ohio we have to pay 6.75% every purchase as well, I would lose about 4k just in taxes, but that's understood going in.

I sent picture of the exterior that I had to your email.

Here is a link to video of the wake with just the stock ballast and wedge. I am the first rider, (I've never done water sports before and have only been wakeboarding for 1 year so be easy. My backrolls are much better now.)

http://www.myspace.com/gmhdesign click on the video named "the latex incident"

No sales tax here at all, nothing on new & nothing on used. Tongue.gif

Really??? I thought that Alaska was the only state that did not have a sales tax. You dudes in Oregon must have a personal income tax then. Biggrin.gif

No sales tax here at all, nothing on new & nothing on used.
What's the State Income Tax rate?

What's the property tax rate?

Vehicle Registration Fees?

They may not be taking your money through sales taxes but their taking your money nonetheless. Mad.gif

Cali even has a "Luxury Tax" on things like skiboats... Mad.gif ...Luxury? Have they ever ridden in a Sporty? Crazy.gif Luxury ain't the first descriptive word that comes to mind. :lol: Not that I don't love my little rocket sled. Love.gif

[/hijack]

I'm pretty sure that in Ohio we have to pay 6.75% every purchase as well, I would lose about 4k just in taxes, but that's understood going in.

I sent picture of the exterior that I had to your email.

Here is a link to video of the wake with just the stock ballast and wedge. I am the first rider, (I've never done water sports before and have only been wakeboarding for 1 year so be easy. My backrolls are much better now.)

http://www.myspace.com/gmhdesign click on the video named "the latex incident"

Not sure if they just charge you tax on the difference if you trade it like they do here in CT, but its something to consider. If you are definitly buying a new boat, ask your dealer if they will do a courtesy trade, whereby you trade your boat to them, and then they actually sell it to your buyer (you only do this transaction once you have a firm buyer), either for free (since they are selling you the new boat), or for a small fee (i.e. they give you a little less on the trade then they are selling it to you buyer for).

Edited by jcbatt

If I visit your state and buy something that I would have paid tax on had I bought it in Maine, and don't declare it on my state income tax return and don't pay the sales tax to Maine, I am in big trouble if I get caught.

No sales tax here at all, nothing on new & nothing on used.
What's the State Income Tax rate?

What's the property tax rate?

Vehicle Registration Fees?

They may not be taking your money through sales taxes but their taking your money nonetheless. Mad.gif

Cali even has a "Luxury Tax" on things like skiboats... Mad.gif ...Luxury? Have they ever ridden in a Sporty? Crazy.gif Luxury ain't the first descriptive word that comes to mind. :lol: Not that I don't love my little rocket sled. Love.gif

[/hijack]

I think that the reg fees for cars are up to a whopping $50 for 2 years (something like that). My boat reg fee that's due this month is $66 for 2 years of registration. The trailer is paid up for the next 3 years, but that's rated like a vehicle, cheap. No luxury tax to declare, nothing like that. Yes, we do have property taxes & income taxes....they do get it from you one way or another, but at least we don't get hit with multiples. And I would venture to say that Cali's tax rates on property & income are as bad or worse.

If I visit your state and buy something that I would have paid tax on had I bought it in Maine, and don't declare it on my state income tax return and don't pay the sales tax to Maine, I am in big trouble if I get caught.

Yes, I'm quite sure. Although if you can get an address here then that solves the problem (you'd still have to prove that you use the boat more than 50% here though as I recall).

Ohio does tax on the difference if you buy a new boat, so your best bet would be to find a buyer for your boat, then go to Know Wake and talk to them about doing a courtesy trade to your buyer. They will charge you a few hundred dollars for the paperwork, etc. but it will pay HUGE returns. Actually $2700 if you are in Franklin county based on $40K.