Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

rollerized valve train

response LX

I'm thinking of installing a rollerized valve train in my 325hp Monsoon. The engine has about 400hrs on it & runs great but the normal faint tick, tick noise of the lifters drive me crazy! I had a rollerized Chev. 5.7L in my Camaro & the valve train noise was almost non-existant. I installed the Edelbrock RPM kit on that engine ( Intake manifold, Carb, push rods, rollerized rocker arms, rollerized lifters and cam etc.) It made a HUGE difference in power & it got better fuel economy as well (less friction). Plus, I believe the valvetrain would last alot longer. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever done any modifications of this nature? & how it would work with the MPI etc?

thanks

Doug

I'm assuming your referring to roller tipped rockers? Your monsoon should already have roller lifters, vs flat tappet old-school lifters.

Not sure you'll make the ticking go away - and they aren't cheep. you would probably pick up a couple HP, due to the friction loss against the valve stem.

I think the problem is your engine is sitting too close to you while your driving.. it should be much closer to the transom Whistling.gif

... not sure why they put it up there like that on your boat Dontknow.gif

I think the problem is your engine is sitting too close to you while your driving.. it should be much closer to the transom Whistling.gif

ROFL.gifROFL.gif

Yea, Rat's right, the further back the motor sits, the less friction. Yes.gif

Edited by LS-One

Buy one of those sound deadening kits (glue on foam stuff) for the inside of your engine compartment. That will cut down on that noise!!!!!! Biggrin.gif Much more cost effective Crazy.gif

I would rather listen to clickety-clack & have a beauty wake for slalom skiing, rather than trying to jump the tidal wave.....Oh & when i need a wake I just drop 'the wedge'. Surprised.gifROFL.gif

not sure how much quieter the roller rockers would be if the noise is really that bad you might want to have the valvetrain checked out I would think new lifters and pushrods at 400 hours might not be a bad option. Also a small block chevy usually likes a little more rocker ration on the intake but I wouldn't expect much in the way of hp. If you get a set of rockers I would get either a set of crower stainless or comp pro mags those two rockers are more than worth the extra money.

not sure how much quieter the roller rockers would be if the noise is really that bad you might want to have the valvetrain checked out I would think new lifters and pushrods at 400 hours might not be a bad option. Also a small block chevy usually likes a little more rocker ration on the intake but I wouldn't expect much in the way of hp. If you get a set of rockers I would get either a set of crower stainless or comp pro mags those two rockers are more than worth the extra money.

The noise isnt really that bad, more of a tick, tick, tick. Would you replace the cam at the same time as the lifters & pushrods?

Doug

Sorry to hijack here a bit. Is it normal to have a little bit of a tick noise in these engines. I have a little tick noise in my 2003 335 Monsoon. I talked to my dealer about this, and he said it was just the fuel injectors. I never really noticed the noise until I put some belt dressing on the belt to quiet it down. Now I can hear this ticking noise if I listen close to the plenum. Is this ticking noise normal?

Yes, the injectors make a clicking noise. Some of the engines let quite a bit of gas bypass the rings and dilute the oil. Mine does this and the lifters get noisey when the oil starts to get diluted.

I would look at the condition of the parts as you pull them out. With roller lifters the cam used should be a billet steel piece and should last a good long time. If it were me as long as that tick is not bad I would leave the motor alone and invest the money elsewhere.

The noise isnt really that bad, more of a tick, tick, tick. Would you replace the cam at the same time as the lifters & pushrods?

Doug

Yes, the injectors make a clicking noise. Some of the engines let quite a bit of gas bypass the rings and dilute the oil. Mine does this and the lifters get noisey when the oil starts to get diluted.

If you would of broke your engine in the way edwin recommends you wouldn't have this problem.

you gotta let it eat man! Crazy.gif

If you would of broke your engine in the way edwin recommends you wouldn't have this problem.

OR, if Indmar had used different rings when they built it it would not have that problem either!

OR, if Indmar had used different rings when they built it it would not have that problem either!

I'm going to switch to synthetic oil next spring & also pull the valve covers & make sure valves/lifters are set up right. How does Edwin recommend breaking in the engine? & what kind of rings does Indmar use?

I'm going to say with 99% certainty that Indmar doesn't install any rings. GM takes care of that. All Indmar does is buy a GM marinized crate engine, install an intake/induction system, change to LT1 Corvette valve covers, and slap a monsoon label on it. Is someone suggesting that GM is building them wrong? And yes, injectors do make noise. If the engine is quiet enough to hear the fuel injectors, then it's probably safe to say there is nothing wrong with it.