Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

HELP Need a MEFI 2 ECM for Indmar Monsoon 2

Mechanic confirmed my ECM  died (likely after overheating after a faulty fuel pump). Tried to reflash and it won’t take anything anything and engine will not run. Anybody know where they can be sourced? Or have one ? 

would something like this, for volvo/merc work if recoded / reflashed ? A lot cheaper than from mefi burn for 3x the cost 

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=372427927393&category=31284&pm=1&ds=0&t=1573154661000&ver=0

Edited by mjbet91
3 hours ago, mjbet91 said:

Mechanic confirmed my ECM  died (likely after overheating after a faulty fuel pump). Tried to reflash and it won’t take anything anything and engine will not run. Anybody know where they can be sourced? Or have one ? 

would something like this, for volvo/merc work if recoded / reflashed ? A lot cheaper than from mefi burn for 3x the cost 

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=372427927393&category=31284&pm=1&ds=0&t=1573154661000&ver=0

Call MEFI Burn: http://mefiburn.com/ They'll be able to hook you up. I had two ECMs for houseboat mains (Volvo Penta) get fried by a solar charger. They bench tested them, provided me with an update (dead), were able to program and ship new units immediately.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, MalibuNation said:

Bob at MEFI Burn is a great guy as that is who you will likely talk too.

$1500 USD for a replacement. FML

11 hours ago, mjbet91 said:

Mechanic confirmed my ECM  died (likely after overheating after a faulty fuel pump).

This is highly unlikely.  The ECM will not overheat if the fuel pump goes bad.  A more likely answer is that someone hooked up the battery backwards.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, mjbet91 said:

$1500 USD for a replacement. FML

That's about what I paid each for the 2x that I needed with overnight shipping back to me. It was plug-and-play when I got the replacements, two bolts to connect them to the engine and plugging the wiring harness in. If your boat is ready to go except for the MEFI controller it's not a bad option. I'll bet Bob also has the unit you need, and no disrespect to Indmar, but did they even return your phone call yet? I'm sure they're swamped with getting engines to boat builders and working with a reduced staff.

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone later reading this forum, my solution was very strange and may help you. I was getting good spark an fuel to the rail, so this was in fact an ECM issue. However, with diacom, i was able to scan the ECM, but it wouldnt calibrate or take the updated software without crashing. My RPM was also set to 0 in diacom, so i was sure the ECM was blocking the engine signal to turn over (it should have read like 700 not 0). I attempted to reflash MANY times with a diacom experienced mechanic as well. IT wouldnt take and a tell tale issue of confusion was that diacom couldn tell what generation of ECM i had and i would have to manually select it, when it otherwise always can read the ECM and decides automatically. THis made me think it was fried. 

Before ordering a new ECM, we tried one more thing for good measure, and popped my faulty ECM into another same gen malibu. On the other boat it for some reason was acting better on Diacom, took the software, and RPM came back. IT worked ! 

THis is a long shot worith trying if you find yourself in a similiar position. Boat now starts and runs on the updated software with no issue and no new ecm needed 

• Like 2
On 8/17/2020 at 7:11 PM, Steve B. said:

Wow. Glad it is working better. Where did you get the software to do the update? I'd love to add 20 rpms at idle if that is possible.

Steve B.

Mechanic buddy, unfortunately not my own! 

On 8/17/2020 at 6:11 PM, Steve B. said:

Wow. Glad it is working better. Where did you get the software to do the update? I'd love to add 20 rpms at idle if that is possible.

Steve B.

I don't think he meant that they hacked the idle RPM, he meant that the RPM showed up while cranking, which it wasn't doing before.

I'm curious why you want 20 more RPM at idle, but you could always turn the set screw on the throttle stop.  If I recall correctly, it should be a T25 set screw.  

44 minutes ago, justgary said:

I don't think he meant that they hacked the idle RPM, he meant that the RPM showed up while cranking, which it wasn't doing before.

I'm curious why you want 20 more RPM at idle, but you could always turn the set screw on the throttle stop.  If I recall correctly, it should be a T25 set screw.  

It is just a set screw. For some reason (an incorrect one) I thought it should be done thru software. I will adjust it at the set screw.

Thanks justgary.

Steve B.

20 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

It is just a set screw. For some reason (an incorrect one) I thought it should be done thru software. I will adjust it at the set screw.

Thanks justgary.

Steve B.

Well, that may be the correct way, but I know for fact that the set screw will adjust the lowest idle.  Even if the ECM commands the IAC to lower it, it can't close the butterfly or IAC any more to slow it down.  And 20 RPM is barely within its ability to control, anyway.

I had a car once that developed a rough idle/stalling issue.  Took it to a mechanic who scanned it and said that everything was just fine.  He nudged the set screw up a touch and it smoothed out.  We decided that it might have been set at the low limit at the factory, then it wore past that over time.