Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

AXIS Bimini extenders?

Macutak

So me, it looks like an extension that requires you to "build" the top when you want to put it up.

I got this FLUID CONCEPTS bimini at the end of last season.  ABSOLUTELY LOVE this thing.  Yes, its more expensive.  But, it sets up with ease.  It folds/tucks behind the speaker pods when stowed.  It does not interfere with ropes (surf, wake, or tube).  If i were to get another Axis, i would 100% make this part of the purchase budget.  The extra shade has been a godsend.

The ONLY limfac i have been able to identify is that it appears that it will interfere with a spinner rack IF you are using the upper mounting position on the tower.  You can likely rotate the rack straight back, but not all the way in the boat.  If using the lower rack mounting position, it only interferes when you are in the process of deploying/stowing the top.  Once its set up, the top allows full access/usage of the lower spinner racks.

Edited by Texan32
  • Like 4
On 7/23/2020 at 4:32 AM, Macutak said:

https://www.onlyinboards.com/AccessoryShop/Products/Bimini-Tops/Axis-Bimini-Extension.aspx?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiL7Clobj6gIVUL7ACh2qJAG_EAQYASABEgIgr_D_BwE

has anyone tried these?  If they are secure they sure would be worth the extra shade.  Just wondering if they get in the way of the rope for surfing or wakeboarding. 

that one or another almost identical says you cant use it running and im convinced it will deafen the music noise by deflecting sound down, most affecting long line, but it still looks great 

On 7/23/2020 at 6:23 AM, Texan32 said:

So me, it looks like an extension that requires you to "build" the top when you want to put it up.

I got this FLUID CONCEPTS bimini at the end of last season.  ABSOLUTELY LOVE this thing.  Yes, its more expensive.  But, it sets up with ease.  It folds/tucks behind the speaker pods when stowed.  It does not interfere with ropes (surf, wake, or tube).  If i were to get another Axis, i would 100% make this part of the purchase budget.  The extra shade has been a godsend.

The ONLY limfac i have been able to identify is that it appears that it will interfere with a spinner rack IF you are using the upper mounting position on the tower.  You can likely rotate the rack straight back, but not all the way in the boat.  If using the lower rack mounting position, it only interferes when you are in the process of deploying/stowing the top.  Once its set up, the top allows full access/usage of the lower spinner racks.

looks great as the stock bimini looks stupid short on 22-23ft, even worse on the a24, sort of looks just about right on my a20, but functionally should be bigger

54 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

looks great as the stock bimini looks stupid short on 22-23ft, even worse on the a24, sort of looks just about right on my a20, but functionally should be bigger

ive never measured the stock bimini.  But, the FC bimini claims 40+ inches of cover.  I can say for sure that the FC bimini extends back far enough that you have to be aware of it when stepping off the sun pad into the boat.  Ive run into it a couple times.  But, thats only because i was being reckless and not paying attention.  You do NOT have to "duck" to get in the.  But if you hop down all willy-nilly, you can bonk your dome.

You did hit on another "drawback" that i forgot about.  Yes, it does cause some sound deflection from the tower speakers.  When we are surfing, i turn down the cabin speakers and only run the tower and sub.  The surfer can hear the music and the cabin fill with enough audio to enjoy.

I, too, have the Fluid Concepts bimini extender and highly recommend it.  I have had it since 2018, and it has been fantastic.  It is a very well designed piece that deploys and stows quickly and easily. Like Texan32, I would 100% buy again for another Axis.

On an A24, you probably won’t have to duck to get in, but on an A20 you may.  Totally worth the risk of an occasional head bang for the added shade, though!

BC86AB15-06ED-4C08-99FC-98D4D477C689.jpeg

• Like 2

I have the extender on my A24.  It really improves the shade coverage.  After about 100 hours of surfing there is a slight wear mark showing on my surf rope.  There is even less wear showing on the bimini itself.  However, the rope on our boat is only used for about the first 10 - 15 seconds on a 5 minute surf.

On 7/23/2020 at 4:32 AM, Macutak said:

https://www.onlyinboards.com/AccessoryShop/Products/Bimini-Tops/Axis-Bimini-Extension.aspx?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiL7Clobj6gIVUL7ACh2qJAG_EAQYASABEgIgr_D_BwE

has anyone tried these?  If they are secure they sure would be worth the extra shade.  Just wondering if they get in the way of the rope for surfing or wakeboarding. 

Did you end up getting this?  If so would love to hear about how you like it

On 7/31/2020 at 10:40 AM, MakeNWaves said:

I have the extender on my A24.  It really improves the shade coverage.  After about 100 hours of surfing there is a slight wear mark showing on my surf rope.  There is even less wear showing on the bimini itself.  However, the rope on our boat is only used for about the first 10 - 15 seconds on a 5 minute surf.

any chance you have a photo of yours? I cant seem to find any a24 photos online. if its very simple to put up and down I could see keeping it stowed for water sports  and deploying when its time for sitting around and cruising. any  of you guys have any issues with it while stowed? on the website it looks like the poles might be close to the drivers head while in the stowed position? might just be the angle of the photo though?

Edited by smuurph84

Sorry no pictures.  Boat 3 hours away in storage.  I never had the extender attached (zipper, support arms, and Velcro straps) without it being extended.  If I wasn’t going to have it extended, I removed it from my boat.  However, extended or not, it would not interfere with anything or anyone.

21 hours ago, smuurph84 said:

if its very simple to put up and down I could see keeping it stowed for water sports  and deploying when its time for sitting around and cruising. any  of you guys have any issues with it while stowed? on the website it looks like the poles might be close to the drivers head while in the stowed position? might just be the angle of the photo though?

it extends/stows in about 18 seconds.  Seriously.  The lower arms pivot in the middle and you insert a lock pin.  The upper arms pivot out/back and lock in with 2 pins.  There are 2 plastic clips that keep the lower arms together when stowed, but those alone are not enough to support it when stowed.  I use the velcro straps that came with my surf rope and wakeboard rope to bunch the top together.  That works perfectly. I only use the zip up back when i stowed it for the winter.  The velcro does a perfect job even while towing at 70mph down the highway.

If you dont have velcro wraps from your ropes (or you actually use them on your ropes...) THESE WRAPS  are perfect as well.

As for wear, this past Saturday, i tried to pay attention to the rope/bimini at take off.  The rope does rest on the bimini at idle, but as soon as there is any tension on the rope, it clears the bimini.  It did not appear to be making any strained contact. 

The poles are no where near your head.  They fall in line with the back half of the tower (hence my comments before about not working with a pivoting upper rack mount position). And now that i think about it, this past Sunday, the wife and I had dinner on the lake.  When the sun set, we stowed both tops.  The frame poles 110% do not hinder you in any way as a driver/passenger.

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...
On 7/23/2020 at 6:23 AM, Texan32 said:

I just wanted to give some info being I looked at this thread when looking at options. Only really have two Fluid Concepts and Tower Biminis.

https://towerbiminis.com/product/axis-bimini-extension/

https://fluidconcepts.net/product-category/biminis/axis-bimini-extensions/

Things to know

FC is 40in, Tower Biminis is 36in. 

FC gets in the way of the top racks as posted above and read in other places.

Tower Biminis doesn't as my post will show. (I didn't know this till I bought and was my hope when seeing pics)

FC has a zipper that I would think would help with getting the rope on tower.

Tower Biminis doesn't I paid $45 to have one added and its useless as you will see in my pic.

Both Biminis look to be easy to get off and on. 

FC has a set location 

Tower Biminis fully adjustable up and down as you can see in pics.

For me I'm happy I went Tower Biminis it wasn't as long and 4in would make a big difference in the back trying to get in and out. As you can see in my pics I have full use of my top racks. Like the fact I can adjust it up and down to set it just like I want for my needs.   

Only Negative is that I have to stand on the side of the boat to get ropes on and off.

IMG_2723.jpg.4cf27d08db4391ac0835eb3a5b303b1b.jpgIMG_2722.jpg.6eb765d0e8f080ef20a40581fceb72cc.jpgIMG_2721.jpg.a0bfca976ecf471912a35faa3bbc0c58.jpgIMG_2720.jpg.0988e09743f70161eca137118e3a5cc4.jpgIMG_2719.jpg.5c0d6cee9754048ab8c79656995a835c.jpgIMG_2718.jpg.d9ff369a7a3763c3c6ed4d911af01add.jpgIMG_2717.jpg.ffed5cf2cced0afac9d5b0d399822220.jpgIMG_2716.jpg.6837c85829ea5dfdb8e21ddba2b7adc5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2023 at 2:50 PM, Bradley Thornton said:

I just wanted to give some info being I looked at this thread when looking at options. Only really have two Fluid Concepts and Tower Biminis.

https://towerbiminis.com/product/axis-bimini-extension/

https://fluidconcepts.net/product-category/biminis/axis-bimini-extensions/

Things to know

FC is 40in, Tower Biminis is 36in. 

FC gets in the way of the top racks as posted above and read in other places.

Tower Biminis doesn't as my post will show. (I didn't know this till I bought and was my hope when seeing pics)

FC has a zipper that I would think would help with getting the rope on tower.

Tower Biminis doesn't I paid $45 to have one added and its useless as you will see in my pic.

Both Biminis look to be easy to get off and on. 

FC has a set location 

Tower Biminis fully adjustable up and down as you can see in pics.

For me I'm happy I went Tower Biminis it wasn't as long and 4in would make a big difference in the back trying to get in and out. As you can see in my pics I have full use of my top racks. Like the fact I can adjust it up and down to set it just like I want for my needs.   

Only Negative is that I have to stand on the side of the boat to get ropes on and off.

IMG_2723.jpg.4cf27d08db4391ac0835eb3a5b303b1b.jpgIMG_2722.jpg.6eb765d0e8f080ef20a40581fceb72cc.jpgIMG_2721.jpg.a0bfca976ecf471912a35faa3bbc0c58.jpgIMG_2720.jpg.0988e09743f70161eca137118e3a5cc4.jpgIMG_2719.jpg.5c0d6cee9754048ab8c79656995a835c.jpgIMG_2718.jpg.d9ff369a7a3763c3c6ed4d911af01add.jpgIMG_2717.jpg.ffed5cf2cced0afac9d5b0d399822220.jpgIMG_2716.jpg.6837c85829ea5dfdb8e21ddba2b7adc5.jpg

I'm wondering if the new dual coverage biminis will retrofit to any AW20 tower.    I love how big it is in our T250.   

16 minutes ago, dizzygti said:

I'm wondering if the new dual coverage biminis will retrofit to any AW20 tower.    I love how big it is in our T250.   

70917805663__25D0C4AE-F9E0-4A4F-8C62-625FFDE4751B.thumb.jpeg.b2321f39c28b2fc0b641b7631ede41f3.jpegIMG_2671.thumb.jpeg.ae599132f4bf4206fd955c1c4314541c.jpegIt should fit. 

16 minutes ago, dizzygti said:

I have a question for you moved all the way forward. How far does the Bimini stick out say from the back hole posted in the pic above.

The idea would be to see if it sticks out to far. I can measure mine to see for the T220 how far it goes compared. I would say I'm naked out anymore would just be sticking back to much.

6 minutes ago, Bradley Thornton said:

I have a question for you moved all the way forward. How far does the Bimini stick out say from the back hole posted in the pic above.

The idea would be to see if it sticks out to far. I can measure mine to see for the T220 how far it goes compared. I would say I'm naked out anymore would just be sticking back to much.

I can measure it this weekend, won't have the boat out until then.  

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, dizzygti said:

I can measure it this weekend, won't have the boat out until then.  

I'm 36in from the back hole to the back of the Bimini. 

My dealer retrofitted my 2021 A22 with the factory extended bimini. My tower was not pre-drilled so they had to drill it, but it was worth it. The standard bimini is horrible if you have to stow/deploy every trip. The extended bimini should be all that's offered IMO.