Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VTX with Diamond Hull vs. VLX? What's the difference?

Donnieb

What are the main differences between the Wakesetter VTX with a diamond cut hull and the VLX with the diamond hull? Here's what I know so far:

Diamond cut hull (VTX) is supposedly a better ski boat than the old diamond hull (VLX)

VTX is 20 ft, VLX is slightly larger by 1.5 feet, so the VLX has more passenger room.

VTX might be better for smaller garages or lakes with a size limitation to 20 ft.

Which is the better boat for surfing? Which is better for slalom skiing? Has anyone taken pictures of someone actually skiing behind the VTX? Surfing behind the VTX?

If the difference isn’t really noticeable for surfing/skiing, and since the VTX has the windshield problems, should I just get a VLX with the diamond hull? I want this for a family of 4 – and we typically bring another family of 4 with us on the lake.

Thanks.

DonnieB

What are the main differences between the Wakesetter VTX with a diamond cut hull and the VLX with the diamond hull? Here's what I know so far:

Diamond cut hull (VTX) is supposedly a better ski boat than the old diamond hull (VLX)

VTX is 20 ft, VLX is slightly larger by 1.5 feet, so the VLX has more passenger room.

VTX might be better for smaller garages or lakes with a size limitation to 20 ft.

Which is the better boat for surfing? Which is better for slalom skiing? Has anyone taken pictures of someone actually skiing behind the VTX? Surfing behind the VTX?

If the difference isn’t really noticeable for surfing/skiing, and since the VTX has the windshield problems, should I just get a VLX with the diamond hull? I want this for a family of 4 – and we typically bring another family of 4 with us on the lake.

Thanks.

DonnieB

First off, your last sentence ends any debate you had above it in your post. With a family of 4 and another 4...you need the 21.5 VLX or even the 23 LSV for the comfort and room offered.

But to answer the other questions, The new VTX with the diamond hull will be the best ski boat of the two listed. For surfing I'd look hard at the regular Wakesetter VLX (not diamond hull) or the 23 LSV or the 247 LSV. But yes, the major differences between a VTX and the VLX are size.

Hope that helps -

Peter :)

I agree that the VLX is larger (the web site says it holds up to 11 adults vs. 10 for the VTX). But I'm also a closet slalom skier, and the wake of the VTX sounds great.

As far as going for a wakesetter hull...I've heard that the diamond hull actually surfs better than the wakesetter hull (at least on the 21'6" VLX). Anyone have any experience here?

Also, does anyone have the specs on the actual storage space and seating space of the VTX vs. the VLX?

Thanks.

Donnieb

I agree that the VLX is larger (the web site says it holds up to 11 adults vs. 10 for the VTX). But I'm also a closet slalom skier, and the wake of the VTX sounds great.

As far as going for a wakesetter hull...I've heard that the diamond hull actually surfs better than the wakesetter hull (at least on the 21'6" VLX). Anyone have any experience here?

Also, does anyone have the specs on the actual storage space and seating space of the VTX vs. the VLX?

Thanks.

Donnieb

IMO & IME, I don't agree with that statement at all. I would agree that you can get a good surf wake from the diamond hull, but it's not better than the the wake hull (at least on the 21'6 VLX).

Mr. Smooth is right on the money. With that many people going out on your boat regularly, you need at least a 21'6, the 20 footer is going to feel pretty small. The thing of it is that the 20' boat loses almost all of that 1.5' in the cabin area - the bow & the lockers are almost identical in size to the VLX. So you may have a ton of storage, but there isn't going to be a lot of room to move with 8 people in that boat.

It's always a compromise between performance & comfort when choosing a crossover boat, the question becomes in what area you are willing to make the biggest compromise.

Thanks.

Donnieb

Well you're out of the closet now Shocking.gifROFL.gif

I guess if I went with the VLX I wouldn't need to worry about the VTX windshield problem (when is Malibu going to have that fixed???). :(

However, I rent a slip on a lake during the summer, and I think it will be a tight squeeze to get the 21'6" VLX into it. Hmmm.....is the VTX that much smaller?

Thanks.

Don

honestly if you are not a competition skier then it really wont make that much of a difference as to which hull you get. and anything is going to knock the socks off of the capri in your profile!