Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2004 Sunscape 25 Ballast safely

craigw1926

Brand new to forum and brand new to Malibu boats. I promise I spent a couple hours searching before creating a new post. Learned a lot, but still have a couple questions. ;)

Just purchased a 2004 Sunscape 25'. A new or even near new dedicated surf boat was not an option, but I still wanted something with a lot of seating. Anyway, now I need to set it up for beginner surfing for myself and my daughter. It has a bunch of available storage, but NO factory ballast. Diamond hull (whatever that means). It came with 4 Fat Sacs of varying sizes and it does have a wedge. I get that so much of creating a good surf wake is trial and error. The boat is so big and will most likely need a lot of ballast in order to get the hull down into the water. I'd like to utilize the compartments for ballast as much as possible in order to maintain deck space for passengers, but I'm worried about overloading and stressing them. I do have a stick on surf gate and am considering the idea of a DIY transom mounted surf system, but really not sure what would even work best for this hull.

Is overloading the compartments something I need to worried about? Any advice on an integrated surf gate system that doesn't completely break the bank? Anything else that I don't even know that I don't know?