Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lets hear about your boating accidents.

gonorth

Someone was selling some cracked windshields in the deals section. Cabin fever is starting to set in so I tried to start some discussion about how they got cracked with the following post:

Do they come with a good story about what happened? You know, something like Wakegirl was doing an around-the-boat on her wake board and the rope got caught on the mirror. I am sure there are better stories than that, let's hear some.

So, lets hear about your own bone-head moves that resulted in less than the expected results. If if you have never screwed up (like me, ha ha) then make up some story about how these windshiled got cracked or anything else.

I'll start, and this is a real story.

Some 30+ years ago, still in high school I was out boating with my best friend in his dads boat. We often went skiing after school with that boat. We were cruising maybe 30mph up a river. For some reason we started a wrestling match in the back of the boat, no driver, boat was still doing 30-ish. I notice the boat is starting to turn toward a wooded shoreline, just behind the 10 feet of woods was a chain link fence. I try to get up to the wheel or the throtle but my friend has no clue and was holding me back. I finally kick him and turn the boat just in time so that a tree branch hits the corner of the windshield and totally shatters the port half up to the walk thru. No other damage. We would have taken on the shore almost head on if I hadn't made to to the wheel. Man that was stupid and really hard to explan to his dad. I can't even remember what we told him hapened.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRAGONFLYPRINCESS

• gonorth

• VinRLX

• Big Dubya

Wasn't asking to hear about the tragic ones, lets hear the funny and embarassing ones. Anyone ever forget to put the plug in? Leave an antenna, flag or lite mast up going into a coverd lift or under a low bridge? Most boat ramp incidents are very funny after a few days, months, years, whatever.

This summer we were pulling out of Billy Chinook And some guys in a pontoon boat were not very nice,we smiled and let them go as there time must have been more important!After we loaded and put everything away,we followed them up the hill,noticing that they did not take the bimini"s down.So by the time they got to Redmond there were no more bimini"s.We felt bad watching them being desroyed,as these were such nice guys and all,can anyone say CARMA! Yahoo.gif

Edited by footin-a
This summer we were pulling out of Billy Chinook And some guys in a pontoon boat were not very nice,we smiled and let them go as there time must have been more important!After we loaded and put everything away,we followed them up the hill,noticing that they did not take the bimini"s down.So by the time they got to Redmond there were no more bimini"s.We felt bad watching them being desroyed,as these were such nice guys and all,can anyone say CARMA! Yahoo.gif

No, but I can say Karma Tease2.gif

Go back to the old MBO archives and read the very lengthy "I'm an Idiot" thread that some wench aka Gusthecat started. It was hilarious. Now, if only Jason could pirate that one away from the darkside.

OK, we had a situation of sorts I guess last summer right after we bought our BU. Hubby had back us down the ramp and I started the boat and was TRYING to get the boat off of the trailer. Hubby was getting grouchy cause the ramp was packed and the darn boat would not back off the trailer no matter how much I gased it. WELL, I remembered we didn't take the straps off the back. Crazy.gif So, we pulled out a bit undid the straps and then backed back in to the water. THIS TIME some idiot was camped out on his fishin boat right in my path . I'm use to an inboard/outboard so I thought I could just manuver AROUND this guy. WRONG!!!! SOOOO, I gunned it again WHY I don't know. I smacked the BU right into the side of his boat..OH, $*^t was I in deep crap. The guy was not mad as he was in the way but did I ever get the stink eye from hubby. I'm happy to report there was no damage to either boat and I learned my lesson about gunning the boat off the trailer. Crazy.gif

This is exactly why experienced boaters back it onto the trailer. When you go to launch, you can steer in either direction. Crazy.gif

I know how to back the boat that wasn't the issue... it was the fact that I wasn't use to a v-drive and second there was a ton of people getting all pissy bout the back up so I was frustrated. The vdrive backs off the trailer alot differant than does the I/O boats. I can steer side to side but, it's not as smooth as the I/O. Needless to say we have spent alot of time since the purchase of the BU backing and loading until I felt I could do it PERFECTLY!!!

This is exactly why experienced boaters back it onto the trailer. When you go to launch, you can steer in either direction. Crazy.gif

"Hold on, I saw this in a cartoon once, but I think I can pull it off."

--Steven Wright, to his hitchhiking passenger.

I know how to back the boat that wasn't the issue... it was the fact that I wasn't use to a v-drive and second there was a ton of people getting all pissy bout the back up so I was frustrated. The vdrive backs off the trailer alot differant than does the I/O boats. I can steer side to side but, it's not as smooth as the I/O. Needless to say we have spent alot of time since the purchase of the BU backing and loading until I felt I could do it PERFECTLY!!!

Does your boat really steer side to side in reverse, or are you just telling us a story? ;)

Edited by MrChrissy

We beat all the Wally's out to favorite cove in our old '85 Ski Centurion on fine Saturday morning. I coasted to a stop and got the wakeboard out on the deck and noticed that the water was up above my ankles. Hmmm I thought. Usually the water is just barely over the teak even with the FatSac full. I mentally ran thru my prelaunch checklist and drew a blank when trying to remember putting in the plugs (all 3 of them). I hollered at my wife "THE PLUGS!!" thinking that would spin her into action since I was already half way into my bindings. Well, she panicked and became motion-less. So in short order I had to remove my bindings and hop into the drivers seat. Said a quick prayer to the carb gods that she fire on the first turn and motored across the lake wondering what I was going to do. A quick check of the mid-ship drain plug revealed it was in place so it was just the two stern plugs that were out. Those are out of the water once you're underway so we were safe as long as we were moving. So we drove around for about 15 min wondering what we were going to do. Finally I remembered a shoreline that was very gradual and drove over to it. I figured if we could beach it and hop out and plug it quickly it wouldn't be too bad. Thankfully the plan worked although we must have looked very funny both bailing out the back of the boat as it skidded to a stop on the beach and plunging our heads under the platform. Luckily neither of us dropped a plug and the bilge pump saved the day.

Of course by the time we got it all figured out and taken care of...drumroll please...there was not one but TWO tubers destorying our glass. Man did I feel dumb.

On the plus side, I learned my lesson because this has only happened once since we got the 'Bu..... Mad.gif

I know how to back the boat that wasn't the issue...

I was just yanking your chain. I said back the boat ONTO the trailer, as in load it backwards. When launching, you could then forward it off the trailer. Sounds Crazy.gif doesn't it?

Does your boat really steer side to side in reverse, or are you just telling us a story? ;)

ROFL.gifROFL.gifROFL.gif YOU R ONE FUNNY GUY... Crazy.gif

actually, i've discovered that you do have SOME ability to steer to port if you develop a little bit of speed in reverse... just steer about 1/2 rudder to port and get on 'er

really helps when launching in a current where you NEED to go straight or to port due to obstacles

however, don't put the rudder to full port, as this will just act as a brake and then the paddlewheel effect will take over and pull you to starboard.

Edit: i had my sides mixed-up :Doh: dummy

Edited by Big Dubya

I was just yanking your chain. I said back the boat ONTO the trailer, as in load it backwards. When launching, you could then forward it off the trailer. Sounds Crazy.gif doesn't it?

I know :blush: I just wanted to make sure that you all knew I wasn't a retard Crazy.gif when it came to unloading....that's not a bad idea though Whistling.gif I'm interested to see that be done.. just not mine. Biggrin.gif

I know :blush: I just wanted to make sure that you all knew I wasn't a retard Crazy.gif when it came to unloading....that's not a bad idea though Whistling.gif I'm interested to see that be done.. just not mine. Biggrin.gif

Just drive the truck & trailer in forward until the boat floats off the trailer... :Doh:

actually, i've discovered that you do have SOME ability to steer to starboard if you develop a little bit of speed in reverse... just steer about 1/2 rudder to starboard and get on 'er

really helps when launching in a current where you NEED to go straight or to starboard due to obstacles

however, don't put the rudder to full starboard, as this will just act as a brake and then the paddlewheel effect will take over and pull you to port.

Hey, thanks. I've always wondered how to unload and NOT turn myself around. Actually, my hubby or oldest son will walk along the dock with me until I'm clear so that I don't turn around or hit another boat or the dock for that matter. I know I'm such a big baby... :blush:

Just drive the truck & trailer in forward until the boat floats off the trailer... :Doh:

UUUMMMM, let me think about this one..... Crazy.gif hey it just might work Whistling.gif

actually, i've discovered that you do have SOME ability to steer to starboard if you develop a little bit of speed in reverse... just steer about 1/2 rudder to starboard and get on 'er

really helps when launching in a current where you NEED to go straight or to starboard due to obstacles

however, don't put the rudder to full starboard, as this will just act as a brake and then the paddlewheel effect will take over and pull you to port.

Hey, thanks. I've always wondered how to unload and NOT turn myself around. Actually, my hubby or oldest son will walk along the dock with me until I'm clear so that I don't turn around or hit another boat or the dock for that matter. I know I'm such a big baby... :blush:

I do the same thing for my wife. If we launch port side to the dock, I can keep her away from the dock with the occasional push off and she doesn't have to worry about hitting a boat launching in the spot next to us on the other side of her.

I had a relatively new footer on the boom one time who was flopping around like a fish out of water. He just refused to let go making attempt after attempt to get himself spun back around to plant is feet. As I was laughing it up with my buddies watching him flop around, I quit watching where I was going. When he finally let go I turned my head forward to see that we were VERY close to the rapidly approaching rocky shoreline. I turned the wheel as hard as I could and barely avoided a collision with the rocks that surely would have been catastrophic at 40 mph. Shocking.gif

Lesson learned..not going to do that again. :Doh:

I do the same thing for my wife. If we launch port side to the dock, I can keep her away from the dock with the occasional push off and she doesn't have to worry about hitting a boat launching in the spot next to us on the other side of her.

What a good HUBBY!!! Biggrin.gif