Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2021 A24 order help

Dsalyers

6 hours ago, MystiikVLX said:

Not sure if you skipped some items but looking over my potential order I noticed missing:

stereo remote  198

subwoofer 853

mirror- PTM panoramic 690

speakers rev 10?  1927.00 per pair

tracking fin 2nd?

on board charger?

skybox rear seating with back rests?

just throwing those out for discussion as I'm looking at ordering an A24 as well.

The stereo remote is included in stereo pack 3, I think stereo pack 2 as well if I’m not mistaken. Stereo pack 3 also comes with the 12” sub and 2 wet sound tower speakers (if that’s what you meant by “speakers rev 10”)

I didn’t add the second fin - is this worthwhile?

on board charger - for a phone? If so I believe those necessary outlets are also standard? I’m not positive on that but don’t see that as an option either....

The mirror is standard, I think. 

I chose to not get the skybox seating, I think it’s roughly $1,200 and I just didn’t think they are worth it. I do have the chilax seats currently but I’m also not sure if they are worth it either.

6 hours ago, pauley71 said:

Consider the speed prop.  M6 is plenty of motor and it will lower your RPMs/Fuel consumption a little and give you better cruise speed.

I did ask about swapping out the stock for another one today and my dealer advised against it. Basically said the stock is more than sufficient and capable. I think I’ll do some more research into it though. Thanks for the suggestion. 

Speakers for sound pack 3 I believe offers 8 or 10 inch tower speakers and an option for second pair.

on board charger for batteries. I have one on current boat. 

I see you got AGM batteries. That is an upgrade option? If yes, I didn’t know that

1 hour ago, formerathlete said:

Cell phone holder is a waste, imo. So is tower storage pole. My dealer gave me one for free made out of a 2x4 and mounted to a plastic platform. Does the job. 

I mostly agree but it fits well and looks good how it’s installed. I’m all for removing extra things I don’t need but the cost for it makes up less than a fraction of one percent of the total cost and is an easy add. I think if I didn’t see it actually installed, I might have gone without. 

Edited by forte
11 minutes ago, MystiikVLX said:

Speakers for sound pack 3 I believe offers 8 or 10 inch tower speakers and an option for second pair.

on board charger for batteries. I have one on current boat. 

I see you got AGM batteries. That is an upgrade option? If yes, I didn’t know that

Correct about the speakers but I’m only getting 2 for now. 

on board charger - I did ask about this but stated since I have the alternator and dual battery setup I wouldn’t need that. Thoughts?

I’m not sure if there is another upgrade for it, but I think that’s the default when you add the dual batteries with the dual battery switch. Not positive though

15 minutes ago, MystiikVLX said:

Our chilax seats are very popular. I’d recommend them

I’m going back and forth on them. The A24 the dealer had in stock had them and he said how great they were as well. But I don’t know, just don’t see myself using them much if at all. 

4 hours ago, forte said:

I’m going back and forth on them. The A24 the dealer had in stock had them and he said how great they were as well. But I don’t know, just don’t see myself using them much if at all. 

We don’t have them on our A22 and not once have we wished we did. One of those things that could be nice if you have it but won’t miss it if you don’t. 

Love my cell phone holder. Don't understand not getting it.

Didn't get any chillax seats. Wish I got the passenger side one, but on the other hand, I've seen those hinges get really terrible over time. Nice in theory. I would never pay the $1k+ for the seat backs for the sliding seat. Too much of a PITA to get them out of the rear lockers, hook them up, etc... You still get the sliding rear seat by default.

20 hours ago, forte said:

Hi all - First post and while I don't want to hijack, starting a new thread seemed unnecessary as I'm in the same boat. I have a 2021 A24 currently ordered and want to solicit feedback. Here are my options currently configured:

Gel Base (Ebony) upgrade $1,547.00
Malibu Monsoon M6Di $4,958.00
Standard - 17 x 155 - 1778 n/c
115a Alternator n/c
Exhaust - Surf Pipe $764.00
Heater, 3-Outlet $640.00
Underwater Lighting $446.00
Underseat Lighting - Blue $241.00
Stereo Option - Pack 3 $2,026.00
Rack - Spinner Board Racks $715.00
Rack - Spinner Board Racks $715.00
AW20 Tower Storage Pole $74.00
Quick Release Latch $251.00
Plug N Play Ballast Plumbing - HI FLO w/Auto Vent $799.00
Surf Gate w/Axis Surfband $3,819.00
Wedge - Power Wedge III $3,594.00
Chillax Cockpit Flip Up Seats $1,060.00
Cup Holders - Stainless $326.00
Depth Finder $411.00
Driver Seat Swivel and Slide $408.00
Mobile Phone Holder $154.00
Seat Bolster - Flip Up (Drivers) $214.00
Soft-Grip Flooring $1,261.00
Dual Battery Switch (Cable and Boxes Included) $192.00
Dual Batteries - (2) Group 24 AGM $778.00
Pull Up Cleats - Three Pair $561.00
CS Boat Cover w/APS 2 and Swimboard Cover $938.00
CS Bimini Top and Boot - w/Rope Storage and Surf Board Storage $917.00

= Total is 97k

I will almost always be in river/bay water and is considered brackish (roughly 1/5th salinity of sea water), but my dealer didn't bring up a salt series engine. I'm assuming he doesn't think I'd need it, but I am curious if this is something I should get?

Other options I've been considering: Swapping the CS Bimini for the Great Lakes rope and surf storage (I believe this is an upgrade but not sure the advantages over the CS), battery charger, and prop upgrade (but also not sure of the advantages or which one I'd get over the stock). I don't think I've see a Great Lakes top in person, would getting this negate the need for the aftermarket bimini top extenders? My dealer has/can install them and I think the extension goes for about $1,500. 

I hadn't considered two options that I read here but both interest me; Hydraulic steering or Shock assist. I will have to collapse the tower often so is shock assist a must then? Additionally, since I will typically have the tower down, should I remove the CS Boat Cover w/APS 2 and Swimboard Cover for $938.00 and get something aftermarket? The reason I ask, when I was going over the boat, the dealer said that the cover is really intended for use when the tower is up. I can't be positive, but it looked like it did a poor job of protecting much when he put the tower down to show me. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks

So for me the shock assist tower and hydraulic steering were 100% worth it.

If you are lowering the tower often then the shock assist is a must. Makes it a breeze to lower and raise. If you put 2 pair of rev 10s, or even 1 pair, it’s not a one person job to lower the tower.

As for the cover, it will not work well with the tower down. You may want to go with the custom cover. My dealer saved the shipping cover for me and it is designed to be on with the tower down. That could be used for storing on a lift or outside with the tower down, but it would be a pain in the a** to put on and take off between outings during the summer, and I doubt it would hold up well long term with frequent removals. 

We use the rear transom stereo remote a lot while floating. The onboard battery charger is worth it for us.  The Clamping racks are expensive, but worth it. I got them after buying our boat, but they gave me the discount I would have gotten if I’d ordered them with the boat. 

On 11/18/2020 at 9:56 AM, Dsalyers said:

So for me the shock assist tower and hydraulic steering were 100% worth it.

If you are lowering the tower often then the shock assist is a must. Makes it a breeze to lower and raise. If you put 2 pair of rev 10s, or even 1 pair, it’s not a one person job to lower the tower.

As for the cover, it will not work well with the tower down. You may want to go with the custom cover. My dealer saved the shipping cover for me and it is designed to be on with the tower down. That could be used for storing on a lift or outside with the tower down, but it would be a pain in the a** to put on and take off between outings during the summer, and I doubt it would hold up well long term with frequent removals. 

We use the rear transom stereo remote a lot while floating. The onboard battery charger is worth it for us.  The Clamping racks are expensive, but worth it. I got them after buying our boat, but they gave me the discount I would have gotten if I’d ordered them with the boat. 

Ok done, I added the shock assist. But my dealer is still pretty adamant that hydraulic steering is a waste for these type of boats. He continued with his experience in Malibus and that he'd never get it in one personally. Possibly a factor of being in a river? Obviously he'll add it if I want but said it drastically changes the way the boat handles in lower speeds and when docking, not for the better. I should note that this will be my first boat so perhaps in my case....ignorance is bliss?

I talked to him more about the stock cover and he agreed that it isn't ideal for it to be used when the tower is down (which in our case will be down more than up) so we took that off and he ordered an aftermarket one that will work with the tower down. I forget the name of the cover he mentioned, but said it would work.

Thanks for the insight with the use of the transom remote. That's something else that I probably wouldn't get if it was an option. I just don't see us using it much but obviously that can change. We'll see. 

What are the clamping racks you are referring to?

Edited by forte
17 minutes ago, forte said:

Ok done, I added the shock assist. But my dealer is still pretty adamant that hydraulic steering is a waste for these type of boats and that they sold 94 Axis/Malibus last year and only 1 had the hydraulic steering. He continued with his experience in Malibus and that he'd never get it in one personally. Possibly a factor of being in a river/bay? Obviously he'll add it if I want but said it drastically changes the way the boat handles in lower speeds and when docking, not for the better. I should note that this will be my first boat so perhaps in my case....ignorance is bliss?

I talked to him more about the stock cover and he agreed that it isn't ideal for it to be used when the tower is down (which in our case will be down more than up) so we took that off and he ordered an aftermarket one that will work with the tower down. I forget the name of the cover he mentioned, but said it would work.

Thanks for the insight with the use of the transom remote. That's something else that I probably wouldn't get if it was an option. I just don't see us using it much but obviously that can change. We'll see. 

What are the clamping racks you are referring to?

The PTM spinning/clamping racks. About a 2500-2000$ add on after MSRP discount and counting the removal of the regular racks from price.

So only comparing to our 2019 A22, our A24 with hydraulic steering handles 100% better in every phase. Low speed and docking included. I haven’t been in an A24 without it so I can only compare to our previous A22. Just our experience. No regret about getting it. But my sample size is small so consider that fact also. 

4 minutes ago, Dsalyers said:

The PTM spinning/clamping racks. About a 2500-2000$ add on after MSRP discount and counting the removal of the regular racks from price.

So only comparing to our 2019 A22, our A24 with hydraulic steering handles 100% better in every phase. Low speed and docking included. I haven’t been in an A24 without it so I can only compare to our previous A22. Just our experience. No regret about getting it. But my sample size is small so consider that fact also. 

Understood, I do have them in our order listed as "Rack - Spinner Board Racks $715.00" if that's what you are referring to. I got two of them which I think along with the CS Bimini top with board storage would more than suffice my current needs.

I think I am leaning toward not adding it per the dealer's recommendation, but I do appreciate your positive experience with it.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone go from an older Malibu to a new Axis that does not have hydraulic steering?  We've been window shopping A22/A24 and our current boat is a 2008 Malibu 247 (big boat).  I can twirl the wheel with one finger at any speed and there's no hydraulic steering on the 247.  I'd never dream it was necessary had I not read these comments in this thread.  I've looked at a few build sheets of 2020s from my local dealer and none were ordered with hydraulic steering.  You'd really have to sell me to explain why it's necessary based on many inboards I have owned over the years.  My $0.02.  For the cost, I'd much rather put the $ towards an M6 upgrade...it gets you almost halfway there.  :-) 

2 hours ago, MystiikVLX said:

I have a 2015 T23 and the steering is fine. Is there a big difference in the 2021 A24 that would me want to change to hydraulic steering?

From what I have heard this is for saltwater use

• 2 weeks later...

What ballast bag size fits the bow in the 2021 A24? Is it the 440lb that is the same as the A22 and T22?

Wakemakers sells the 440lb but other sites list a 800-900 lb bag.

Edited by MystiikVLX
found additional info
5 hours ago, formerathlete said:

I would want more bow weight than the 440. FatSac makes a 900lb under seat bow bag for the 2021 A24. https://www.fatsac.com/custom

My only concern with such a large bag is how much it would push up the cushions, if it does. Might be worth a call to a FatSac rep. 

I am running an 850 Sumo in the bow of my LSV with no noticeable issues to the cushions. I do use a towel under it and keep some disposable coozies up there to place between the fittings and the cushions just in case. If you are worried about the cushions, you could also run it in the walk thru to accomplish the same results as in the bow.

Edited by wdr
Cl
6 hours ago, formerathlete said:

I would want more bow weight than the 440. FatSac makes a 900lb under seat bow bag for the 2021 A24. https://www.fatsac.com/custom

My only concern with such a large bag is how much it would push up the cushions, if it does. Might be worth a call to a FatSac rep. 

So a larger900 bag fits under the seats in the bow? If so, I wonder why wakemakers only list one option for a 2021 A24 and its a 440lb bag.

4 hours ago, MystiikVLX said:

So a larger900 bag fits under the seats in the bow? If so, I wonder why wakemakers only list one option for a 2021 A24 and its a 440lb bag.

That’s a great question. We have the 440 under the  bow seats of our ‘19 A22 and it’s tight. I’m guessing the ‘21 A24 bow must be significantly bigger and Wakemakers hasn’t caught up with the redesign yet.

Edited by formerathlete