Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2021 A24 order help

Dsalyers

49B5CF7D-2B2B-4753-A353-F196ECB69DAF.thumb.jpeg.a854115f7254cb72479f8e6caabbc809.jpegPlacing an order for a 2021 A24 with spray date of Aug 11. 
Please share any experience with Hydraulic assisted steering option and the shock assist tower. 

Edited by Dsalyers

sweet color combo! 

I hope to be in a similar situation soon so I would love to know how well you negotiated? did you order with the M6? if you have a significant other who drives you a lot I would not do without hydraulic steering  if so. my wife complains some about holding the wheel on my axis.

Edited by smuurph84
grammer
8 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

Hydraulic steering is standard on Malibu and makes a huge difference in driving the boat.

Hydraulic steering is a $1400 option on Malibu, not standard.

• Like 1

My wife’s 2 biggest complaints about our current Axis is steering and lowering the tower(I don’t like it either). We live in a lake front community and have a slip deeded to our house. We are in a small shallow bay on the lake and have to go under a low bridge to get out of the bay to the main part of the lake for water sports, so we have to lower our tower each time we go out. 

We went with the M6

Edited by Dsalyers
7 minutes ago, gregtay said:

Hydraulic steering is a $1400 option on Malibu, not standard.

oh I didn't realize that. I've never been on a newer Malibu without it. Must be one of those "don't order a boat without it" options.

5 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

oh I didn't realize that. I've never been on a newer Malibu without it. Must be one of those "don't order a boat without it" options.

Actually I believe very few people order it and I have seen many people comment that they wouldn't order it again. If I remember correctly it works great at speed but makes the lower speed steering heavier which can make docking more challanging. (again.. I might have that wrong... can't remember exactly.) 

Given that you have to lower your tower every time you go out, getting the shock assist tower is a no brainer, IMO. I have no personal experience with it but assist > no assist.

4 hours ago, gregtay said:

Actually I believe very few people order it and I have seen many people comment that they wouldn't order it again. If I remember correctly it works great at speed but makes the lower speed steering heavier which can make docking more challanging. (again.. I might have that wrong... can't remember exactly.) 

All recent Malibu's that I have been on have steering that is VERY light. Doesn't matter if it's at speed or at the dock or whatever. Huge difference from the Axis. I'm under the impression that hydraulic steering is the difference.

Edited by boardjnky4

wouldnt buy an A22 with out hydraulic steering, the A24 doesn suffer as badly becayse if bigger prop and rudder i think, but i would still get it.

• 3 months later...

Bringing this thread back to the top, did you order the shock assisted tower?  If so, how does it work?

im prepping my order for an A22 and am pondering this. I don’t need it right now, but wonder if I should order it in the event I need it down the road in case my storage options change. 

On 7/9/2020 at 3:57 PM, agarabaghi said:

wouldnt buy an A22 with out hydraulic steering, the A24 doesn suffer as badly becayse if bigger prop and rudder i think, but i would still get it.

Is hydraulic steering available on an Axis? I went thru a build sheet with dealer and he never mentioned it as an option.

On 11/4/2020 at 5:34 PM, ndahlberg12 said:

Bringing this thread back to the top, did you order the shock assisted tower?  If so, how does it work?

im prepping my order for an A22 and am pondering this. I don’t need it right now, but wonder if I should order it in the event I need it down the road in case my storage options change. 

We did order the shock assist tower and the hydraulic steering. 

I would highly recommend both. Raising and lowering the tower can be done with one person if needed with shock assist. So simple and easy. 

On 11/4/2020 at 6:00 PM, MystiikVLX said:

Is hydraulic steering available on an Axis? I went thru a build sheet with dealer and he never mentioned it as an option.

Yes hydraulic steering is an option. Wouldn’t order the boat with out it. Makes it extremely responsive at any speed. Works great at low speed, so the comment earlier in the this thread about docking possibly being an issue was not correct. 

Just to add a bit of feedback the 2021 A24:

My wife and I have been extremely happy with this boat. Great wave. So glad we went with the M6. Torque prop is awesome. Compared with our 2019 A22 this boat was much better built and attention to detail was much improved. Only real complaint is that the Bimini design could be much better/faster to put up and stow, and also it’s way too small.  We shouldn’t have to order an extension to get better coverage.  
If you are considering a A24 vs a LSV 23(and I’ve been on both) go a A24. No brainer for value. 

Edited by Dsalyers
9 minutes ago, MystiikVLX said:

Any estimate on cost of hydraulic steering upgrade?

I think it was somewhere around 1200-1500$

Edited by Dsalyers
21 hours ago, MystiikVLX said:

I saw a walkthru video on the A24 and he said the cushion on the port side that is over the cooler is on a hinge? Is that correct?

Yes it’s “hinged”, but actually uses a gas strut like your car hood.  Works very well. 

Edited by Dsalyers

For those of you who have the new 2021 A24 did you get the wakemakers custom bags or some other ballast bag for bow and rear? What do you think of the bags you got?

Hi all - First post and while I don't want to hijack, starting a new thread seemed unnecessary as I'm in the same boat. I have a 2021 A24 currently ordered and want to solicit feedback. Here are my options currently configured:

Gel Base (Ebony) upgrade
Malibu Monsoon M6Di 
Standard - 17 x 155 - 1778 
115a Alternator 
Exhaust - Surf Pipe 
Heater, 3-Outlet
Underwater Lighting 
Underseat Lighting - Blue 
Stereo Option - Pack 3
Rack - Spinner Board Racks 
Rack - Spinner Board Racks 
AW20 Tower Storage Pole 
Quick Release Latch 
Plug N Play Ballast Plumbing - HI FLO w/Auto Vent 
Surf Gate w/Axis Surfband 
Wedge - Power Wedge III 
Chillax Cockpit Flip Up Seats
Cup Holders - Stainless 
Depth Finder 
Driver Seat Swivel and Slide 
Mobile Phone Holder 
Seat Bolster - Flip Up (Drivers) 
Soft-Grip Flooring 
Dual Battery Switch (Cable and Boxes Included) 
Dual Batteries - (2) Group 24 AGM 
Pull Up Cleats - Three Pair 
CS Boat Cover w/APS 2 and Swimboard Cover 
CS Bimini Top and Boot - w/Rope Storage and Surf Board Storage 

I will almost always be in river/bay water and is considered brackish (roughly 1/5th salinity of sea water), but my dealer didn't bring up a salt series engine. I'm assuming he doesn't think I'd need it, but I am curious if this is something I should get?

Other options I've been considering: Swapping the CS Bimini for the Great Lakes rope and surf storage (I believe this is an upgrade but not sure the advantages over the CS), battery charger, and prop upgrade (but also not sure of the advantages or which one I'd get over the stock). I don't think I've see a Great Lakes top in person, would getting this negate the need for the aftermarket bimini top extenders? My dealer has/can install them and I think the extension goes for about $1,500. 

I hadn't considered two options that I read here but both interest me; Hydraulic steering or Shock assist. I will have to collapse the tower often so is shock assist a must then? Additionally, since I will typically have the tower down, should I remove the CS Boat Cover w/APS 2 and Swimboard Cover for $938.00 and get something aftermarket? The reason I ask, when I was going over the boat, the dealer said that the cover is really intended for use when the tower is up. I can't be positive, but it looked like it did a poor job of protecting much when he put the tower down to show me. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks

Edited by forte
40 minutes ago, forte said:

Hi all - First post and while I don't want to hijack, starting a new thread seemed unnecessary as I'm in the same boat. I have a 2021 A24 currently ordered and want to solicit feedback. Here are my options currently configured:

Gel Base (Ebony) upgrade $1,547.00
Malibu Monsoon M6Di $4,958.00
Standard - 17 x 155 - 1778 n/c
115a Alternator n/c
Exhaust - Surf Pipe $764.00
Heater, 3-Outlet $640.00
Underwater Lighting $446.00
Underseat Lighting - Blue $241.00
Stereo Option - Pack 3 $2,026.00
Rack - Spinner Board Racks $715.00
Rack - Spinner Board Racks $715.00
AW20 Tower Storage Pole $74.00
Quick Release Latch $251.00
Plug N Play Ballast Plumbing - HI FLO w/Auto Vent $799.00
Surf Gate w/Axis Surfband $3,819.00
Wedge - Power Wedge III $3,594.00
Chillax Cockpit Flip Up Seats $1,060.00
Cup Holders - Stainless $326.00
Depth Finder $411.00
Driver Seat Swivel and Slide $408.00
Mobile Phone Holder $154.00
Seat Bolster - Flip Up (Drivers) $214.00
Soft-Grip Flooring $1,261.00
Dual Battery Switch (Cable and Boxes Included) $192.00
Dual Batteries - (2) Group 24 AGM $778.00
Pull Up Cleats - Three Pair $561.00
CS Boat Cover w/APS 2 and Swimboard Cover $938.00
CS Bimini Top and Boot - w/Rope Storage and Surf Board Storage $917.00

= Total is 97k

I will almost always be in river/bay water and is considered brackish (roughly 1/5th salinity of sea water), but my dealer didn't bring up a salt series engine. I'm assuming he doesn't think I'd need it, but I am curious if this is something I should get?

Other options I've been considering: Swapping the CS Bimini for the Great Lakes rope and surf storage (I believe this is an upgrade but not sure the advantages over the CS), battery charger, and prop upgrade (but also not sure of the advantages or which one I'd get over the stock). I don't think I've see a Great Lakes top in person, would getting this negate the need for the aftermarket bimini top extenders? My dealer has/can install them and I think the extension goes for about $1,500. 

I hadn't considered two options that I read here but both interest me; Hydraulic steering or Shock assist. I will have to collapse the tower often so is shock assist a must then? Additionally, since I will typically have the tower down, should I remove the CS Boat Cover w/APS 2 and Swimboard Cover for $938.00 and get something aftermarket? The reason I ask, when I was going over the boat, the dealer said that the cover is really intended for use when the tower is up. I can't be positive, but it looked like it did a poor job of protecting much when he put the tower down to show me. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks

Not sure if you skipped some items but looking over my potential order I noticed missing:

stereo remote  198

subwoofer 853

mirror- PTM panoramic 690

speakers rev 10?  1927.00 per pair

tracking fin 2nd?

on board charger?

skybox rear seating with back rests?

just throwing those out for discussion as I'm looking at ordering an A24 as well.

Edited by MystiikVLX
47 minutes ago, forte said:

prop upgrade (but also not sure of the advantages or which one I'd get over the stock).

Consider the speed prop.  M6 is plenty of motor and it will lower your RPMs/Fuel consumption a little and give you better cruise speed.