Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

LT4 - 33 gallons/hour!?

texaspro

Currently, "Freedom Marine" is called "Freedom Powersports". They are listing one boat in inventory right now, a new 2018 Monterey bow-rider that they have marked down from $106,947 to a low low price of $68,107. 

I wonder how they lost the Centurion dealership. Wait - no I don't.

• Haha 1

I have the LT4 and I think it is pretty good on fuel consumption.  My 2016 25LSV has the Raptor Supercharged 575 and it was quite a bit worse on fuel.  The LT4 is also so much more quite. 

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, Slurpee said:

Yeah. I hear you.  Ultimately that's what pushed me to upgrade the 22LSV to the 25LSV.  I was sick of filling up all the time.

I was already pushing the limits of what the wife was going to approve cost-wise, but if we knew then what we know now, we might have gone T23 on the fuel capacity issue alone.

And I tell her all the time, it has nothing to do with the cost of fuel, it's the annoyance.

Edited by boardjnky4
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, boardjnky4 said:

Yeah, the above setup is the "200 lb guy that knows how to surf well" setup. My wife's ideal setup is no passengers, surf left, lift mode, 10.6. I'm sure that's way more efficient and probably come in closer to above Centurion's 11-12GPH.

This setup is also for weekday nights when I'm limiting time on the water to around 3 hours. So I can afford to run the boat down on gas. If I go out for a 6 hour Saturday, I can't run nearly as much ballast, I'll just get my day cut short by a low fuel light after around 4 hours. Damn A22 has a CLAIMED 42 gallon tank, but i've only ever gotten around 36 on a fill up. Last time we went home on the low fuel light, it took 32 gallons. Only complaint about this boat so far.

If it is like my 23LSV the low fuel light it pretty meaningless... I can run for a LONG time after the gauge goes to 0.

1 hour ago, gregtay said:

If it is like my 23LSV the low fuel light it pretty meaningless... I can run for a LONG time after the gauge goes to 0.

Which between that fact and the issue of the smaller tank I was ecstatic with the results from the Scangauge project. 

1 hour ago, gregtay said:

Yeah I actually plan to just straight up run it out of fuel one day and just see how long I can run on Low Fuel for. My guess is I can probably get another hour of play time.

2 hours ago, boardjnky4 said:

Yeah I actually plan to just straight up run it out of fuel one day and just see how long I can run on Low Fuel for. My guess is I can probably get another hour of play time.

I used these on my old boat without issue. I'm kind of curious as well how much my tank actually holds. Would hate to completely run out of gas though.  https://www.acehardware.com/departments/lawn-and-garden/outdoor-power-equipment/gas-cans/7234339?store=16931&gclid=Cj0KCQjwrIf3BRD1ARIsAMuugNuo_IxmCdBQfcJkuJN5A6mOPYaUC1D93An-YIP1GNOJPZFss34wEdoaAv32EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

5 minutes ago, Raleigh said:

I used these on my old boat without issue. I'm kind of curious as well how much my tank actually holds. Would hate to completely run out of gas though.  https://www.acehardware.com/departments/lawn-and-garden/outdoor-power-equipment/gas-cans/7234339?store=16931&gclid=Cj0KCQjwrIf3BRD1ARIsAMuugNuo_IxmCdBQfcJkuJN5A6mOPYaUC1D93An-YIP1GNOJPZFss34wEdoaAv32EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I like this one a LOT better:

https://amzn.to/2Yo2VXu

You can leave it up on the gunnel while putting the gas in.

Edited by 23LSVOwner
  • Like 2
On 6/10/2020 at 12:22 PM, spikew919 said:

I actually have an m235. And if they say it has an 86 gallon tank. That’s wrong. Actually a 78 gallon tank. We burn about 70 gallons in a 8 to 10 hr day of half cruising and half heavily, heavily weighted surfing.  

And pretty much everyone one on this site knows That I don’t mind calling Malibu out. But you ca do the math. It burns no where close to that much fuel. 

I just upgraded from the a 2017 M235 with the raptor to the M240 with the LT4 and I’m so amazed by the decrease in fuel consumption.  I haven’t got an exact number but it seems like half as much fuel when surfing compared to my M235.  I’m not sure how much of that is the 18 inch prop.   Went from a 17x15.5 to an 18x14.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, potterm said:

I just upgraded from the a 2017 M235 with the raptor to the M240 with the LT4 and I’m so amazed by the decrease in fuel consumption.  I haven’t got an exact number but it seems like half as much fuel when surfing compared to my M235.  I’m not sure how much of that is the 18 inch prop.   Went from a 17x15.5 to an 18x14.

I actually just tried another prop 18x15.5 and I’m Gona say my fuel consumption is going to be a good bit less. And handles all the weight I have thrown at it with about 400 rpms less 

• Like 3

I may try that prop at some point.  Just everything seems to work so well at this point.  What’s your top end with the 18x15.5 ?  Mine is 40 mph with the 18x14.

2 hours ago, spikew919 said:

I actually just tried another prop 18x15.5 and I’m Gona say my fuel consumption is going to be a good bit less. And handles all the weight I have thrown at it with about 400 rpms less 

On 6/11/2020 at 3:05 PM, Raleigh said:

I have 3 of them . As purchased they are so idiot proof they are virtually unusable. I ground off the sawtooth feature to keep them from unscrewing. Also the only way I use them is to take the lid/safety anti drip cap/spout off and pour into a funnel in my boat shed. I bring down 15 gal every weekend. I tried to pour it the way it was intended and it leaked all over and poured out at the rate of about 2  oz/sec. Pouring from the big mouth into a modified funnel works well. Timed it, 60s to empty 5gal.

Just a heads up.

Edited by carguy79ta
1 hour ago, potterm said:

I may try that prop at some point.  Just everything seems to work so well at this point.  What’s your top end with the 18x15.5 ?  Mine is 40 mph with the 18x14.

Honestly, I didn’t check top end. I don’t run it that hard cruising. Usually run about 25mph cruising. Will say that In your case. If you go from a 14 pitch to 15.5 it’s going to shave 150 rpms off. So your top end will definitely go up a few mph. 

On 6/11/2020 at 9:02 AM, Five Cent Worth said:

Which one did you get?!?  :cheers:

You forgot to note our local Centurion dealer and his purple Aston Martin....  

We kicked the tires on all the brands around the lake.  None of them really bashed the others all that much.  

I ended up getting the leftover 19 from LKN marina. its grey and azure blue/ teal... i'll get some pics of it soon.

What was with the crappy Centurion wave.  It was way smaller than the Malibu.  I’m surprised they tried to compare the waves.

22 hours ago, jcon44 said:

I ended up getting the leftover 19 from LKN marina. its grey and azure blue/ teal... i'll get some pics of it soon.

Nice.  Really liked that one when we got ours as well.  Saw you out on Governs Island and thought that was the last 19 LKN had.  Looked great!

1 hour ago, Five Cent Worth said:

Nice.  Really liked that one when we got ours as well.  Saw you out on Governs Island and thought that was the last 19 LKN had.  Looked great!

Thanks, it was the last 19 they had.. We need to try to meet up some time. I spend most of my time in that cove. :) what color is yours blue/black and grey?, i saw a few Malibu's last weekend?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2018 24 MXZ, 750 Plug and Play and usually 1 or 2 clicks on the wedge and have the 450 Raptor.  I am shocked that GPH... I have never seen worse then 8GPH and usually in the 6GPH. Typically 4-6 folks in the boat and 12 pack of beer:clap:. Surf Wave is sick will all the ballast filled.

19 minutes ago, roonedoggie said:

I have a 2018 24 MXZ, 750 Plug and Play and usually 1 or 2 clicks on the wedge and have the 450 Raptor.  I am shocked that GPH... I have never seen worse then 8GPH and usually in the 6GPH. Typically 4-6 folks in the boat and 12 pack of beer:clap:. Surf Wave is sick will all the ballast filled.

To be fair, that's your average for the day. Not your point in time consumption. The 8GPH you're stating is with sitting still, changing riders, cruising a little without ballast, etc...

According to Boating Mag, no ballast, a 24 MXZ with the 575 is cruising with no ballast at almost 9 gph. So you're certainly going to consume much more than that surfing with the ballast full and using the wedge.

Untitled-2.png

EDIT: just noticed you have a different engine, but still applies I think.

Edited by boardjnky4
7 hours ago, boardjnky4 said:

To be fair, that's your average for the day. Not your point in time consumption. The 8GPH you're stating is with sitting still, changing riders, cruising a little without ballast, etc...

According to Boating Mag, no ballast, a 24 MXZ with the 575 is cruising with no ballast at almost 9 gph. So you're certainly going to consume much more than that surfing with the ballast full and using the wedge.

Untitled-2.png

EDIT: just noticed you have a different engine, but still applies I think.

It's about work and don't be too quick to judge.  My 25LSV cruising at the mid 20's eats 9gph.  Wakeboarding for the 8yo with the wedge in lift and enough weight to level the boat at 19mph is 9gph.  Surfing with a moderate wave at 11.5mph is 9gph.

17 hours ago, Slurpee said:

It's about work and don't be too quick to judge.  My 25LSV cruising at the mid 20's eats 9gph.  Wakeboarding for the 8yo with the wedge in lift and enough weight to level the boat at 19mph is 9gph.  Surfing with a moderate wave at 11.5mph is 9gph.

Slurpee - I have the same boat and motor. How do you calculate/monitor gph? Would love to see where mine is at. 

28 minutes ago, krward said:

Slurpee - I have the same boat and motor. How do you calculate/monitor gph? Would love to see where mine is at. 

@krward, go read this project on wake garage.  That's how we do it.

https://www.wakegarage.com/projects-archive/miscellaneous-projects/accurate-fuel-flow-gauge-r110

On 6/26/2020 at 7:59 PM, Slurpee said:

What's a moderate wave? I see 15-16 gph, but that's my "maxxed out" wave. 750s full, wedge 2, 11.2 mph. Certainly if I pull the wedge or put the wedge in lift or something, I can drastically reduce it.

51 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

What's a moderate wave? I see 15-16 gph, but that's my "maxxed out" wave. 750s full, wedge 2, 11.2 mph. Certainly if I pull the wedge or put the wedge in lift or something, I can drastically reduce it.

Good question.  In a '19 25LSV to me that means PNP full, 2 adults in the boat, wedge a little mellower than middle.  If I crank the wedge much closer to ramp and speed up to 11.5 and have another adult in the boat I can get closer to 14gph.