Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

LT4 - 33 gallons/hour!?

texaspro

This guy is claiming that in just 2 hours of surfing, you'll need to refill the 86 gallon tank, with the LT4 engine. For those who have the LT4, is he right? Here's the video on YouTube (comments turned off, of course).

I don't have the LT4, but I do have a way to test that claim. I know I see ~13 GPH during active surfing, but that drops to .5 (that's 1/2 GPH or less) at idle. I would like to see some independent testing group leverage the fuel flow gauge (and HP, etc.) that are available in this project:
https://www.wakegarage.com/projects-archive/miscellaneous-projects/accurate-fuel-flow-gauge-r110/

Not to mention the poor guy could hardly stay in the pocket on that last demo wave from the centurion.

If the fuel consumption numbers are right, I wouldn't buy a boat that burns 30gph to surf, but I also wouldn't buy a comparably priced boat that puts out a trash stock wave regardless of the fuel savings!

Yeah the wave heights were vastly different. The Malibu could also be running the wrong prop. You could run the M without the wedge and the wave would probably be every bit as good.

The supercharged engine will always consume a lot of fuel. That's hard to work around.

1 hour ago, texaspro said:

This guy is claiming that in just 2 hours of surfing, you'll need to refill the 86 gallon tank, with the LT4 engine. For those who have the LT4, is he right? Here's the video on YouTube (comments turned off, of course).

I actually have an m235. And if they say it has an 86 gallon tank. That’s wrong. Actually a 78 gallon tank. We burn about 70 gallons in a 8 to 10 hr day of half cruising and half heavily, heavily weighted surfing.  

And pretty much everyone one on this site knows That I don’t mind calling Malibu out. But you ca do the math. It burns no where close to that much fuel. 

3 minutes ago, spikew919 said:

I actually have an m235. And if they say it has an 86 gallon tank. That’s wrong. Actually a 78 gallon tank. We burn about 70 gallons in a 8 to 10 hr day of half cruising and half heavily, heavily weighted surfing.  

And pretty much everyone one on this site knows That I don’t mind calling Malibu out. But you ca do the math. It burns no where close to that much fuel. 

Again, weight, wedge setting and prop all matter. You'd have to compare your configs to their configs and re-test.

Thanks fellas! Good info. You can tell the guy is obviously biased and turning off the comments of a YT video is practically admitting it's BS. Again, thanks for the confirmation. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

So first of all, why a dealer is comparing a new boat to a 2017, regardless of brands is beyond be besides just trying to bash another brand...

Second, a 2017 M235 does not have the LT4 in it. It would have the 575 supercharged Raptor. Not comparable to the LT4, in terms of fuel consumption or noise. 

There are so many other things I could list that make this a clear attempt to band bash, like the Malibu isn't adjustable, but on the Centurion to adjust the wave, we can add speed or adjust the tabs :shocked:. Like on a Malibu adjusting the wedge or speed... It is so poorly done it is comical.

This times 1000.......

6 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

Again, weight, wedge setting and prop all matter. You'd have to compare your configs to their configs and re-test.

Yeah I have tried 3 different props before finding the best 17” prop. I guess if the put the wedge to the most aggressive position then maybe would burn close to 20 gallons an hour. But don’t matter what settings or prop. The fuel tank ain’t Gona grow 😂😂 

I have owned 2 M235's a 16 and an 18. The fuel burn might have been high but not close to what this guy is saying. Its simply BS. 2 Hours of Max Ballast ( PNP  + Lead in the Bow) I would burn about 15- 20% of my tank. Malibu should send them a nastygram from legal. crap like this pisses me off. 

The engine is wrong and the fuel tank is wrong. That alone is enough to get the video pulled. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Cipro said:

I have owned 2 M235's a 16 and an 18. The fuel burn might have been high but not close to what this guy is saying. Its simply BS. 2 Hours of Max Ballast ( PNP  + Lead in the Bow) I would burn about 15- 20% of my tank. Malibu should send them a nastygram from legal. crap like this pisses me off. 

The engine is wrong and the fuel tank is wrong. That alone is enough to get the video pulled. 

I think he got his dealership pulled. freedommarinetx.com is no more

1 hour ago, G Spot said:

Definitely fake news. That video is from a junk dealer in town that is back to just selling cycles and atvs.

Those guys are complete A$$ clowns.  Back when i starting thinking about getting a boat, i stopped in there to see what they had.  The sales guy (could have even been this guy....just dont remember) was SO pompous and arrogant.  Long story short....I dont care what they are selling, i wont even check out their booth at the boat show.  Just walk right by. 

Wondering if this is a centurion tactic. Dealer at the Denver Boat Show this year was bashing all the competition as well. 

I stopped by MC as well as Nautique. They weren’t using the same tactics. And I know the local Malibu dealer doesn’t. Or at least hasn’t with me. 

I hooked my boat (2019 A22) to diacom last night while surfing. Setup is as follows:

Crusader 410, 15x13 prop, plug n play 750s rear, front plug n play, 250lbs lead in bow/midship, 3 passengers, Surf Right, Wedge 2, 11.2MPH.

Result was 16-17GPH WHILE SURFING. That's not an average, that simply point in time while surfer is riding. I honestly think this wave is way bigger than the Centurion's, and if I dialed it back with wedge or threw some more bow weight at it (which is needs badly, didn't have my bow bag on hand) I could probably match the Centurion's fuel consumption.

xYecp7b.jpg

• Like 4
17 minutes ago, jcon44 said:

This is timely as i was at a centurion dealer a few days ago, looking at a used Mastercraft no less. Anyway the sales guy i talked to didn't know much about the MC but all he wanted to talk about was how fuel efficient Centurion was.. He wasn't bashing other brands but fuel efficiently and how the boats ride in rough water are how they sell them here apparently. I am not saying they don't surf well because i know they do, but i don't think that what most buyers look at first.

PS, In case you are wondering i had no interest in the MC, wife likes the seats on the transom and i was trying to make her happy by pretending to look at it, we are picking up a 23LSV tomorrow. :)

Which one did you get?!?  :cheers:

You forgot to note our local Centurion dealer and his purple Aston Martin....  

We kicked the tires on all the brands around the lake.  None of them really bashed the others all that much.  

29 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

I hooked my boat (2019 A22) to diacom last night while surfing. Setup is as follows:

Crusader 410, 15x13 prop, plug n play 750s rear, front plug n play, 250lbs lead in bow/midship, 3 passengers, Surf Right, Wedge 2, 11.2MPH.

Result was 16-17GPH WHILE SURFING. That's not an average, that simply point in time while surfer is riding. I honestly think this wave is way bigger than the Centurion's, and if I dialed it back with wedge or threw some more bow weight at it (which is needs badly, didn't have my bow bag on hand) I could probably match the Centurion's fuel consumption.

You should consider adding a Scangauge. After having a Diacom like setup permanently on my dash I was able to tweak my regular surf settings to get better fuel efficiency. 16-17gph in a 22’ with those weights sounds about right. Maybe a tad higher than I’d expect. But you may be higher than me. 

Anyways, I stopped with the, “that’s good now just a bit more to be safe” and moved to, “that’s it. Stop.” Because a tiny change in the wedge could make for another gph or two. Also we don’t put the biggest wave out for everyone. 

The point is the gph and HP numbers really help you operate the boat to max efficiency. All brand’s engines have good fuel efficiency. There’s probably no more than 5% efficiency difference across the whole lot of them. Fuel burn is proportional to work. The more work you make the boat do by sinking it and moving it faster the more the fuel burn. So fuel efficiency is all about how optimized you get the setup. 

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

xYecp7b.jpg

That’s a nice looking wave, Tom! Thought that was you last night. 

1 hour ago, Slurpee said:

You should consider adding a Scangauge. After having a Diacom like setup permanently on my dash I was able to tweak my regular surf settings to get better fuel efficiency. 16-17gph in a 22’ with those weights sounds about right. Maybe a tad higher than I’d expect. But you may be higher than me. 

Anyways, I stopped with the, “that’s good now just a bit more to be safe” and moved to, “that’s it. Stop.” Because a tiny change in the wedge could make for another gph or two. Also we don’t put the biggest wave out for everyone. 

The point is the gph and HP numbers really help you operate the boat to max efficiency. All brand’s engines have good fuel efficiency. There’s probably no more than 5% efficiency difference across the whole lot of them. Fuel burn is proportional to work. The more work you make the boat do by sinking it and moving it faster the more the fuel burn. So fuel efficiency is all about how optimized you get the setup. 

Yeah, the above setup is the "200 lb guy that knows how to surf well" setup. My wife's ideal setup is no passengers, surf left, lift mode, 10.6. I'm sure that's way more efficient and probably come in closer to above Centurion's 11-12GPH.

This setup is also for weekday nights when I'm limiting time on the water to around 3 hours. So I can afford to run the boat down on gas. If I go out for a 6 hour Saturday, I can't run nearly as much ballast, I'll just get my day cut short by a low fuel light after around 4 hours. Damn A22 has a CLAIMED 42 gallon tank, but i've only ever gotten around 36 on a fill up. Last time we went home on the low fuel light, it took 32 gallons. Only complaint about this boat so far.

Edited by boardjnky4
7 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

Yeah, the above setup is the "200 lb guy that knows how to surf well" setup. My wife's ideal setup is no passengers, surf left, lift mode, 10.6. I'm sure that's way more efficient and probably come in closer to above Centurion's 11-12GPH.

This setup is also for weekday nights when I'm limiting time on the water to around 3 hours. So I can afford to run the boat down on gas. If I go out for a 6 hour Saturday, I can't run nearly as much ballast, I'll just get my day cut short by a low fuel light after around 4 hours. Damn A22 has a CLAIMED 42 gallon tank, but i've only ever gotten around 36 on a fill up. Last time we went home on the low fuel light, it took 32 gallons. Only complaint about this boat so far.

Yeah. I hear you.  Ultimately that's what pushed me to upgrade the 22LSV to the 25LSV.  I was sick of filling up all the time.