Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1994 sunsetter engine help


Recommended Posts

Hey all,

So I have a blown motor in my 94 sunsetter. It has the mercruiser 5.7 350 in it. I have been having issues identifying some key things in order to purchase a new one. I'm hoping someone can help answer or point me in the right direction to find the answer for these questions. Thank you!

Here is what I need to know. First I need to determine whether it uses flat lifters or roller lifters?

Is it mpi or tbi? 

Is fuel pump mechanical or electrical? 

Does the timing cover have a crank sensor mounted on it? 

-Kyle

Edited by Macdub27
Link to comment

Sorry I can't answer your questions directly. I  recommend contacting Mercury Marine to get the questions answered.  You will need to know the engine serial number in order to find out all of the specifics. 

Link to comment
34 minutes ago, Murphys said:

Sorry I can't answer your questions directly. I  recommend contacting Mercury Marine to get the questions answered.  You will need to know the engine serial number in order to find out all of the specifics. 

I figured as much. Just wasnt sure if anyone knew what year mercruiser phased out the flat tappet to roller cams. I believe chevy did it late 80s but saw mercruiser may have been a bit behind them? Appreciate your reply however. 

Link to comment

They did have a carb'd version and a fuel injected version. Which one is your's? 

Thru this link you can search thru the folders and find all the nitty gritty details...

Mercruiser

Steve B.

 

Link to comment

The '94 version was pre-Vortec, so you should buy a long block (comes with Vortec heads) instead of a short block (using your own heads) so the tappet/cam issue is paired up from the machine shop.  This will put you over 300hp instead of 260hp.  You can use your same exact carb with zero changes to it (I am using a stock carb on my 388).  

Link to comment
5 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

The '94 version was pre-Vortec, so you should buy a long block (comes with Vortec heads) instead of a short block (using your own heads) so the tappet/cam issue is paired up from the machine shop.  This will put you over 300hp instead of 260hp.  You can use your same exact carb with zero changes to it (I am using a stock carb on my 388).  

I am going to be buying a new long block from jasper's which they prompted me with these questions. Got all of them answered from mercury except, does the engine use stamp steel rockets or stamp steel rockets with a roller tip? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Here is a pic of an old head from my '94, stamped steel rockers.  The second pic is the new head.  Definitely go with roller tips.

 

 

Valves 002.jpg

rocker arms compressed.JPG

Edited by Michigan boarder
Link to comment

So what's the full story on the engine?  What was the full diagnosis, detonation?  rod bearings?  Do you know what caused it?  Just curious, I learned from my mistake years ago (train your drivers to know that when an alarm goes off, shut it down).

Link to comment
3 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

So what's the full story on the engine?  What was the full diagnosis, detonation?  rod bearings?  Do you know what caused it?  Just curious, I learned from my mistake years ago (train your drivers to know that when an alarm goes off, shut it down).

Thank you for your help Michigan boarder! One day got the old steam puffing out the motor and milkshake oil. Engine never overheated or any precautionary signs. Still figured head gasket so did that. Checked all cylinders and visually looked good, compression was good. Rebuilt the heads, Slapped it back together. Still was getting steam out of the valve breathers that caused motor to bog down. However no water in oil whatsoever. The steam only started once the engine would warm up. Thought maybe a bit of water was getting in due to bad exhaust manifolds. Bought some new manifolds. Still same issue. So at this point I think there is a very small crack somewhere in the block that when the engine gets hot the metal expands and let's in some water. So after 2 seasons of not being on the lake I'm over troubleshooting and just getting a reman long block. Those roller tip rockers look nice! Any advantage in using those versus the stamped steel? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

So what's the full story on the engine?  What was the full diagnosis, detonation?  rod bearings?  Do you know what caused it?  Just curious, I learned from my mistake years ago (train your drivers to know that when an alarm goes off, shut it down).

Looks like you have an aftermarket intake? Did you go with the edelbrock one? 

Link to comment
2 hours ago, Macdub27 said:

Thank you for your help Michigan boarder! One day got the old steam puffing out the motor and milkshake oil. Engine never overheated or any precautionary signs. Still figured head gasket so did that. Checked all cylinders and visually looked good, compression was good. Rebuilt the heads, Slapped it back together. Still was getting steam out of the valve breathers that caused motor to bog down. However no water in oil whatsoever. The steam only started once the engine would warm up. Thought maybe a bit of water was getting in due to bad exhaust manifolds. Bought some new manifolds. Still same issue. So at this point I think there is a very small crack somewhere in the block that when the engine gets hot the metal expands and let's in some water. So after 2 seasons of not being on the lake I'm over troubleshooting and just getting a reman long block. Those roller tip rockers look nice! Any advantage in using those versus the stamped steel? 

Roller tips reduce friction, thereby increasing efficiency.  Honestly, I was not the engine builder, a guy did it for me and I did the removal and installation, and gave him full authority on the rebuild components.

2 hours ago, Macdub27 said:

Looks like you have an aftermarket intake? Did you go with the edelbrock one? 

Yes, Edelbrock performer.  Do you have an electric choke or a manifold actuated choke?

Link to comment
47 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

Roller tips reduce friction, thereby increasing efficiency.  Honestly, I was not the engine builder, a guy did it for me and I did the removal and installation, and gave him full authority on the rebuild components.

Yes, Edelbrock performer.  Do you have an electric choke or a manifold actuated choke?

I'm not sure exactly, whatever came on the stock 94 350 mag. I would assume it is manifold actuated. 

Link to comment
2 hours ago, Macdub27 said:

I'm not sure exactly, whatever came on the stock 94 350 mag. I would assume it is manifold actuated. 

Yeah, probably.  Make sure you specify which choke you have when buying a new manifold if you do get one.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...