Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Water over bow - 2006 23' Wakesetter LSV


Recommended Posts

We had our very first lake day this past weekend and had 10 people (6 adults, 4 kids) on the boat all day. The lake was very crowded and the water was pretty rough. Even though only 2 kids were sitting in the bow and I had no ballast filled in the bow, we took water over the bow at least 3 times during the day. 

This is my first V-drive tow boat after owning a number of I/O bow-riders so the water of the bow thing is new for me.

Is this just par for the course for these boats or the '06 23 LSV in general? It unnerved me a bit and cooled off my excitement for the new boat considerably. 

 

 

 

Link to comment
4 minutes ago, BCJohnsontx said:

 

This is my first V-drive tow boat after owning a number of I/O bow-riders so the water of the bow thing is new for me.

Sounds exactly like my first outing 10 years ago the first time going from an I/O to inboard. It just takes practice on having enough throttle to keep the nose up. The thing that probably helped the most was understanding what a power turn is and not doing one to pick up a downed rider. Once my nephew showed me how to not throw a roller down the lake every time a rider fell most of my chili dips stopped.

All that being said, last summer I had a brain fart and dipped the front worse than I have in years.

You will master it soon.

Link to comment

@BearCreekBum

I really appreciate the feedback. I hate to be the newbie here, but what is the general correct procedure for turning around without swamping the boat? I am adding the Wakemakers kit to bump my port and starboard ballast to +910 per locker and I am also adding in a DIY surfgate soon. I figured that turning around with a full load of ballast and a surfgate is going to present some new challenges as well. 

Here are some pics of the new boat on the water. Its a bit flashy for me, but my kids said "YOLO dad, just buy it"

IMG_3857.jpg

IMG_3856.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment

 

Lots of good tips here.  

In general, cut throttle, let rollers pass, then idle back to the rider.   When surfing and coming off throttle, turn to opposite side of your surf if using gates, as that is the way the boat will naturally want to turn.   

 

 

 

Link to comment
17 minutes ago, BCJohnsontx said:

@BearCreekBum

I really appreciate the feedback. I hate to be the newbie here, but what is the general correct procedure for turning around without swamping the boat? I am adding the Wakemakers kit to bump my port and starboard ballast to +910 per locker and I am also adding in a DIY surfgate soon. I figured that turning around with a full load of ballast and a surfgate is going to present some new challenges as well. 

Here are some pics of the new boat on the water. Its a bit flashy for me, but my kids said "YOLO dad, just buy it"

IMG_3857.jpg

IMG_3856.jpg

Ya gotta love the kids..YOLO Dad just buy it!!... funny! Good looking boat btw. You will get the hang of the inboard nuances soon enough.

Link to comment

On occasion, we'll have wakesurfers pass too close to us when we're stopped on my Response.  You just need to be aware and know how to take the wakes on.  If we're stopped and a surfer comes too close, I'll start the engine and position the boat to take the rollers broadside.  Anything you can do to not nose directly into oncoming wakes, unless you have your bow good and high, will help.

If it's your own wakes... that's another story.  See the vids above.  :)

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
17 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

In general, cut throttle, let rollers pass, then idle back to the rider.   When surfing and coming off throttle, turn to opposite side of your surf if using gates, as that is the way the boat will naturally want to turn.   

@BCJohnsontx

Like others have said the videos are great and wish they would have been around 10 years ago. What hethj7 said above is the best advice I got and it made a huge difference.

However, as we all know sometimes it all gets thrown out the window and you have to rush back to protect the downed rider from another boater or lake licer not paying attention.

Link to comment

Matches my first experiences when switching to an inboard - certainly don't be discouraged.  Learned the official term is chili dipping and I have managed to have 2 inches of water on the deck of the boat.  Not awesome when you see the cooler floating by you. LOL.  Has only happened once after that first summer.  We have to many boaters in our area that pay no attention to the best way to do things - the tips in those videos are excellent.  I believe in one of them, they even demonstrate it is quicker back to the downed rider by NOT power turning.  Good Luck

Link to comment

Thanks everyone, 

Glad to hear it's just part of the learning curve. I will watch the videos and I am planning a day off during the week to get some additional experience and practice with the boat this week. This forums seems like a great community and I really appreciate everyone's contributions. 

 

Link to comment

it happens

 

make sure your bilges work and dont get upset about it. it wont be the last time it happens  my 04 was the same way  i hated how the bow turned down and was very close to the water  never made any sense to me

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...