Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Whats up with the Malibu Hate?

kwold

I just don't get it.

Looking at two "other" forums, it seems non-malibu owners have a axe to grind with malibu boats. Funny part is I rarely see posts from Malibu owners stating their boats are the best. Rather, I see posts from non-malibu owners trying to point out any and all shortcomings that Malibu's might have.

Just wondering where the animosity fro Malibus comes from.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Madmanacrossthewater

• 88Skier

• SacRiverRat

• Tom Sawyer

I just don't get it.

Looking at two "other" forums, it seems non-malibu owners have a axe to grind with malibu boats. Funny part is I rarely see posts from Malibu owners stating their boats are the best. Rather, I see posts from non-malibu owners trying to point out any and all shortcomings that Malibu's might have.

umm, err, because we all know they are the best and say it over here on this board???? Surprised.gifCrazy.gif

Jimmy nailed it.

Also the fact that Malibu continues to grow and grow, sell more boats then they do, LOOK better on the water or on the road than they do, generally cost less than they do, win more awards year after year after year after year - then they do.

I can see how an inferiority complex could arise.

Malibu makes great boats. So does MasterCraft and CC. You pays your money and you takes your choice. In many cases, the brand choice has more to do with dealer quality or dealership proximity rather than boat. Whichever, it is true that some people do tend to get their egos all wrapped up in their choice of boat. Or choice of car, or choice of computer platform.

I like my MasterCraft, but I've been kind of salivating over a Sunscape 23 LSV that the new Malibu dealer here in Brainerd has on the floor. Sweet boat. I probably can't justify it but I've got a buddy that more than ready to ditch his Four Winns for a top-notch tow boat, and I'm workin' on him.

There is something about the look on the face of a non Bu dealer or some owners when they ask what kind of boat you have and you say Malibu.

I really like 1960-1970 Correct Crafts, (we had one when I was a kid), and when I went to WDW in 2000, the high light of my trip was touring the Correct Craft factory. The people were nice and gave a great tour. At the end, the lady asks what kind of boat we have and my 10 yo Son says "Malibu Skier". Her look said it all.

I guess its just best to chalk it up to people needing to flex their Epenis. To be very honest, the price of the boat was one of the biggest factors in deciding to go with the Malibu.

I just can't go on WW much these days...it is getting bad over there, much like wakeboarder.com Crazy.gif People are starting threads left and right to bash other boat makers. Either they are stupid, bored, or kids. Neither of which I want to talk with.

I ordered an 07 Wakesetter VLX a month ago. I narrowed my search down to the MC X-15 and the VLX. I'm pretty sure that either boat would have been a great choice, but in the end it came down to (in no particular order):

1) Price - I could buy a fully loaded VLX for less than a plain X-15

2) Great local dealer - I was honest with the Bu sales man regarding my two choices, and he never put MasterCraft down once. He stuck to the Bu's postive features. The MC dealer was quite the oposite, and it turned me off a bit.

3) The Malibu name - I've wanted a Malibu for many years and now finally can afford one. Purely emotional.

4) Versalitiy - the VLX gives me what I want from a boat better than any other that I looked at. Its not perfect but it's the best fit or me.

Deciding between a Bu and MC is like choising between a BMW and Mercedes. Both are great, so it comes down to personal preference.

2) Great local dealer - I was honest with the Bu sales man regarding my two choices, and he never put MasterCraft down once. He stuck to the Bu's postive features. The MC dealer was quite the oposite, and it turned me off a bit.

Deciding between a Bu and MC is like choising between a BMW and Mercedes. Both are great, so it comes down to personal preference.

I agree with your points. Some MasterCraft dealers (like some owners) do have an arrogance about the brand that's not warranted. I like my MasterCraft dealer a lot and they do a good job for me, but they do put Malibu down when it comes up in our discussions. OTOH, the local Malibu dealer (whom I've known for years) has NEVER said a bad word about MasterCraft, only emphasized Malibu's good points. If her shop had been here when I was tow-boat shopping, I might very well be driving a Sunscape.

I always wanted a Mastercraft Prostar 190. When the time came to buy my first skiboat, I went with Malibu instead. The decision for me was based on the local dealer. The local MC dealer sells Maxums and other bowriders and sell skiboats on the side. Not that there is anything wrong with them, but I prefer to buy from a skiboat-specific dealer, I ended up buying a Malibu from No Wake Marine. As someone stated earlier, many of us become more loyal to the dealer than to the brand of boat. If No Wake dropped Malibu and started selling MC (highly unlikely), I would probably buy a Prostar as my next boat.

I just don't get it.

I think that because they spent more for a boat or bought a cheaper boat that it makes their choice of boat better so they have to justify it by saying bad things about Malibu. In reality they know it isn't true and they have to live with the false superiority pent up inside their head and secretly wish they had a Malibu. Its Malibu envy :blush:

What I don't care for on any site is when someone/group claim that they have the best stuff but don't qualify what best is. MC, Bu, CC all build 3 event boats that will readily pull skiers to their PB. None of them is THE best, IMO. The RLXi's have the looks and versitility and comfort, IMO. The MC197 are better to ride in for hours because they are a more rigid and are quiet. The CC196 is the easiet to keep straight with a skier tugging on the end and will hold up better with years of abuse but, they don't turn well or easily.

The dealer are another issue all together.

I have noticed and been fried on other site for saying the none of them are the best. I've been careful to not say that Malibu is the best but will fiercely defend Bu when someone says that the RLXi sucks.

As someone from the non-bu camp, I will say I like all of the big 3 boats. The only thing that the Malibu guys do specifically that drives me nuts is insist that if you buy CC or MC, you are paying for the "name" and are an image/brand-concious lunatic for no buying a Bu. IMO, there are more reasons besides the "name" that make a CC or MC cost more in some cases. This is the one argument that really tweeks me specifically with Bu guys- if you don't buy a Bu, then you are paying for a name brand only. GMAB.

As someone from the non-bu camp, I will say I like all of the big 3 boats. The only thing that the Malibu guys do specifically that drives me nuts is insist that if you buy CC or MC, you are paying for the "name" and are an image/brand-concious lunatic for no buying a Bu. IMO, there are more reasons besides the "name" that make a CC or MC cost more in some cases. This is the one argument that really tweeks me specifically with Bu guys- if you don't buy a Bu, then you are paying for a name brand only. GMAB.

Then what are you paying for?

Then what are you paying for?

Umm, a boat??

I think that there was a time when that was a valid argument, but with the way that prices are soaring I don't see it anymore. It does get tired - to me when I hear someone say something like that (regardless of whether they're talking about buying a Malibu or a Chevy), it says to me that they're having to justify their purchase every bit as much as the guy that spends the extra on whatever it is that they spend the extra on. We all have ownership goggles to one extent or another. Bottom line - all 3 are making really fine boats right now, there's no need for bashing another brand just because it wasn't right for you. Be happy with your purchase & let the next guy do the same IMO.

As for the MC dealers & their sales tactics, I've really come to believe over the years that part of their sales training is to trash on other brands. I've never seen it from a CC dealer, but I have from numerous MC dealers & have heard of way too much of it happening for it to be a coincidence. It's too bad, they could probably sell more boats by taking a proactive, positive approach - their boats are good enough to sell themselves after all. Too many people are turned off by that type of negative sales pressure IMO.

In the WW thread that I think the OP is refering to, MC people are saying that Malibu's aren't built as well as MC's because they screw certain pieces of the boat in and don't bolt them on with a backing plate. The pictures they show are for certain items like the bow light. The bow light should not need to be through bolted unless you are using it as an attachment point to be towed by a houseboat or something. :) The one thing they are making a big deal on also is that the skags are screwed on a Malibu vs. through bolted on a MC. I thought the idea behind this was that if you hit a submerged object, the skag would pull out of the bottom and leave to small holes where it was screwed in vs. taking the fin and backing plate together and leaving a big chunk missing (fast sinking). It seems to me that Malibu certainly does use bolts and backing plates where they are appropriate but not where they are not.

They also mention that Malibu doesn't use foam floatation in their boats. I don't know if they do or not, but all the boats will swamp about evenly. Assuming no ballast, will any of them completely sink?

I like them all, but as the big three focus more on wakeboard boats and 3 event boats become a smaller part of their line, I find myself liking the smaller companies more and more as their line up includes more DDs. At the Boston boat show last year, I awarded Ski Centurian as the most improved ski boat. They are getting better looking, their quality is improving and their prices have not gone up much during the past few years.

In the WW thread that I think the OP is refering to, MC people are saying that Malibu's aren't built as well as MC's because they screw certain pieces of the boat in and don't bolt them on with a backing plate. The pictures they show are for certain items like the bow light. The bow light should not need to be through bolted unless you are using it as an attachment point to be towed by a houseboat or something. :) The one thing they are making a big deal on also is that the skags are screwed on a Malibu vs. through bolted on a MC. I thought the idea behind this was that if you hit a submerged object, the skag would pull out of the bottom and leave to small holes where it was screwed in vs. taking the fin and backing plate together and leaving a big chunk missing (fast sinking). It seems to me that Malibu certainly does use bolts and backing plates where they are appropriate but not where they are not.

They also mention that Malibu doesn't use foam floatation in their boats. I don't know if they do or not, but all the boats will swamp about evenly. Assuming no ballast, will any of them completely sink?

That's one of the things in particular that MC dealers will point out, they'll say "if you submerge a Malibu, it will go straight to the bottom". It's a lie. I think that they play on the fact that Malibu uses the hollow stringers as a way of routing cables & such to say that, but they don't tell you that the entire floor is injected & filled with foam. The way that Malibu does it is to lay the floor & secure it down, then inject it/fill it with foam.

As for the fin issue, that's it in a nutshell. If a 'Bu loses a fin, you stand a good chance of getting it back on the trailer without it filling with water. There are arguments both ways & I honestly think that there's no real "right" way to build a boat since there are compromises all along the way if you want to bring the product to market that can compete pricewise.

That's one of the things in particular that MC dealers will point out, they'll say "if you submerge a Malibu, it will go straight to the bottom". It's a lie. I think that they play on the fact that Malibu uses the hollow stringers as a way of routing cables & such to say that, but they don't tell you that the entire floor is injected & filled with foam. The way that Malibu does it is to lay the floor & secure it down, then inject it/fill it with foam.

As for the fin issue, that's it in a nutshell. If a 'Bu loses a fin, you stand a good chance of getting it back on the trailer without it filling with water. There are arguments both ways & I honestly think that there's no real "right" way to build a boat since there are compromises all along the way if you want to bring the product to market that can compete pricewise.

When the river gets trashy my Bu stays in the garage. That said, I have friends that through bolted fins back on their Bus after losing them. They even claim several direct hits after through bolting with no problems. One time I did lose a tracking fin and a big chunk of glass came off with it even though it was just screwed in resulting in one H of a repair bill. If I ever lose one again I'll bolt it through.

Malibu's fins are not through bolted? They are in my Skier. Never checked the Sportster.

Nope, not on the DD's. And when they tear off, the screws don't always come out clean & neat. I can tell you from sorry experience that four neat holes in the bottom of your boat will still fill the bilge faster than your pump can keep up. My dealer thru-bolted my front fin after the screws pulled out- twice.