Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurf boards for kids

Webber54

I have an 11 yo that is 5’4” and 120 lbs that wants to learn how to surf. He is a big kid for his age and lacks coordination. I am not sure what board to get him. He has tried on a few of our boards but just can’t get up on them. I also have a smaller kid 6 yo only 45lbs. I realize I might need two separate boards. Thanks for the help! 

Edited by Webber54
Wrong weight

I have a phase 5 scamp , my son is 56 pounds and my daughter is prob 75 

both can ride the board  and she is already rope less  with it. 

might be to small for your son but they have 1 size bigger( don’t recall what it’s called that might work well. 

very easy to push the board down in the water for beginners 

if you are having trouble , getting someone up .  the best trick I have found for beginners of all ages is to put them in the water with their feet on the back of the swim platform and practice pulling them up out of the water with the rope . Seems to really help beginners 

Hyperlite Landlock - it is narrower, easier to bury the rail, volume is not as high as some of the other beginner boards so it sits in the water pretty well, very stable when up.  I've had numerous kids and adults use it for years, there is no better overall beginner board in my opinion.

Also not that expensive, $299.