Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Buying a used Illusion tower. A few questions

chadwick02

Hi everyone,

In my quest to add an illusion tower to my 2002 LSV, I have found a gentleman (from this board), who is looking to upgrade his 2004 illusion to a 2007 illusion (I guess the newer towers have more mounting holes for racks). I am just about to buy his tower.

A few questions:

1. Will his tower fit my boat? His boat is a 2004 VLX, mine is a 2002 sunscape LSV. According to TheMalibuCrew hull chart both boats sit on a SV23 hull. His is a wake, and mine is a Diamond. Will this make a difference in the mounting of the tower? I had him measure the width of the mounts, and it appears that it will fit my boat. Are the gunnels (is this even the right term?) designed the same? I just want to make sure.

2. Any good ideas on how to ship this? Apparently his local dealer has a shipping box for a illusion tower. Will UPS do ground freight like this? Ive never shipped something this big. It needs to go from Southern US to the North East.

3. Can anyone think of anything that I have missed in buying a used tower? Am I crazy to try to do this?? Im pretty handy and plan on installing it my self. I have read lots about how others have installed them, so i think im all set on that (for now...) Any other suggestions or anything else I have missed??

Thanks everyone,

Chad

Edited by chadwick02

Hey Chad-

Here are some answers for you:

1. Yes it will fit on your boat; the Sunscape 21 LSV and Wakesetter VLX were identical from the chine up in 2002 and use the same tower.

2. It will definitely need to be shipped freight, so keep that in mind. I would try UPS Freight and Yellow Freight. Those two seem to the be easiest and best option for the average person that doesn't ship freight regularly. My other suggestion would be to try to have it delivered from a commercial address to a commercial address, as that will save you quite a bit. Finally, be sure you fully inspect the tower when it's dropped off before the driver leaves, it's very difficult to win a claim if you sign for something that's damaged.

3. The main reason not to get this tower is for the same reason the current owner is upgrading. The newer towers not only feature an additional set of inserts for board racks on the outside, but also the EZ-lift spring system, and the integrated anchor light. Only you can decide if the savings you're getting on this tower are enough to offset not having those features.

Let us know what you decide!

Malibu told me the EZ-lift spring setup will be a problem trying to fit the spring system under an earlier model boat's gunnels and side panels, but you can install the later model tower without the spring system setup and it will fold like the earlier version (that's what I did). You will have the pull-pins instead of the bolts to release it.

I'd go with the used tower if you can unless you just have to use the extra racks or want the Nav light.

Nav light would be cool, but for a substantial savings I can live with out it. Is it something that can be added at a later time? I have seen several aftermarket (i think?) tow hooks with a nav that you can add onto towers. Is this possible for the illusion?

I cant possibly imagine that I would need more than 2 racks (but then again who knows...)

The boat gets docked for the entire summer, so I would only have to pull the tower down once a year at the end of the season, and I always have plenty of help then.

Thanks Jason and Ronnie for your input!

- Chad

I remember hearing about some towers having some major problems (breaking and stuff), and some major failures. I seem to think they were older ones though. Have there been any problems with the 2004's?

Well 2004 is early for the Illusion X, that's the first year it was offered. But in terms of quality, I don't remember there being any issues with the early ones, even though it is the first widespread application of casting for wakeboard towers.

He may be talking about the original Illusion tower that was offered in '03 by Titan. That tower had loads of problems, Illusion X by Metcraft (beginning in '04) has had very few by comparison. Or he could possibly be talking about the Blade which has been discontinued.

I don't think that you will need more than two racks. I think most of the people here have just two. Besides the darn racks cost at least $300, for that price I am willing to leave a board at home if it won't fit onto one of my two racks. As for the Nav light, the '06 style light is sweet, but not worth getting a new tower to have it. There is a pretty good write up on how to add one to your illusion's pylon area.