Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

idiomkrone

Surfing on 2001 Response LX

Recommended Posts

idiomkrone

Hey Team,

I am looking for some feedback from others surfing behind DD boats.  (or whoever really)   What I'm wondering is, how does this wave look for surfing behind a DD?  How do I improve it?  What can I do to make it better, Bigger, longer?  I know that's what we all want! ;)   Or is this about the best I'm going to get?  I dont have perfect pass or anything so I am using a GPS speedo on my phone to try and stick around 9-10 MPH I think.  (Been a while since last summer)

It's a 2001 Malibu Response LX, Manual Wedge down, Large sac in the stern, small sac in the bow, Home made wave shaper.   I've modified the wave shaper from the photo included because the water was splashing up into my fuel vent and causing me some issues, so the disputer plate is actually the other way now, so instead of it being a foot and half from the stern, it's off the stern-transom corner.  Works much better I found.

 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ewrkJKyVCetzrzgu5

Thanks!

Gage

Share this post


Link to post
Eagleboy99

Not sure I understand where your fake gate actually mounts?  Also, we used way more weight but the issue always seemed to be water in the vent.  Not a good thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Michigan boarder

Your wave is the most I've been able to get out of my boat too, so I'd say you've gotten about all you are going to get.  Looks pretty good!

One thing I noticed was when you had a small kid surfing and 3 on the deck, that wave was washed out.  Next time move those 3 kids further forward, to the spotter's seat and/or next to the engine, and that will help clean the wave up.

Share this post


Link to post
idiomkrone
10 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Not sure I understand where your fake gate actually mounts?  Also, we used way more weight but the issue always seemed to be water in the vent.  Not a good thing.

Yeah, ok fair enough.  haha.  I added a new photo to that shared folder.  It's a terrible paint drawing.   but the left is how i built it, and the right is how i changed it to stop water from going in the vent.

Gage

Share this post


Link to post
idiomkrone
7 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

Your wave is the most I've been able to get out of my boat too, so I'd say you've gotten about all you are going to get.  Looks pretty good!

One thing I noticed was when you had a small kid surfing and 3 on the deck, that wave was washed out.  Next time move those 3 kids further forward, to the spotter's seat and/or next to the engine, and that will help clean the wave up.

Good tip, thanks.    I'll keep that in mind.

Gage

Share this post


Link to post
Eagleboy99
1 hour ago, idiomkrone said:

Yeah, ok fair enough.  haha.  I added a new photo to that shared folder.  It's a terrible paint drawing.   but the left is how i built it, and the right is how i changed it to stop water from going in the vent.

Gage

Got it!   Thanks.  How were you able to attahc the suck-gate?  Our 99 does not have a suitable flat area and I've been tempted to craft a custom one, but frnakly, it is more trouble than it is worth due to water ingress issues (fuel vent etc.)

Share this post


Link to post
idiomkrone
On 4/24/2020 at 11:05 AM, Eagleboy99 said:

Got it!   Thanks.  How were you able to attahc the suck-gate?  Our 99 does not have a suitable flat area and I've been tempted to craft a custom one, but frnakly, it is more trouble than it is worth due to water ingress issues (fuel vent etc.)

I just put the suctions cups as far back as i can where they both make full contact.   That was my problem having the gate at the front, it was pushing it too far forward.    There is a bit of extraangle iron that hangs back and allows the gate to actually be closer to the sterm and transom.   When I get my boat home in the next week or two ill take some more photos to explain better.

 

IDIOM

Share this post


Link to post
Barefooter88

In my Wave tuning experinces speed  and weight placement  to do with your "push" and being able to stretch out or make a wave bigger. Every time we surf it's different depending on who's I in the boat moving people around works best. The next thing to do would to change the angle up and down on your suck gate once you find the best it really dont change as well as back and forth a little.Your best investment would be Perfect Pass. .2 mph makes a differance in push. It is a lot of coin to drop but I use my perfect pass alot with pretty much all my water sports. It keeps my footing and slolem speed consistant for when some one thats not very good at driving. Even though I have a V-drive these things make a big differance  due to having a pre surf era boat. 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...