Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat dock height

Bear8989

Under a covered boat house or boat lift? Many variables in dock/boat lift styles and type

Or do u mean best height to board a boat that's floating from dock? 

Edited by The Hulk

Lots of variables here.  Is it a “constant level lake?” Is the lake subject to flood?

All the docks on our lake are underwater every six year, or so due to the spring rains (and we have a constant level lake.  It could be much worse for those without a spillway.)  It would have been nice to have a taller boat house/lift, to get the boat two feet higher +- above the dock.  In our neighborhood, even a 200 year flood would not get two feet above the docks.

I have my docks higher then I like but as Whitecap said our lake does very some. Also I am on the main lake and need to be above the worst wakes. Same for my lifts I set them up so I can get the boats above wake level so the waves are not smacking the hull of the boats and rocking the lifts. I can't leave a boat tied to the dock its just to rough on week ends. 

Bear8989,

if you are not building the dock/ covered boathouse now, and are evaluating an existing dock that you may purchase,  another trick to consider is to lower the tower while on the lift.  (If your boat has this option).  With the tower down, you can normally get the boat 2-5 feet higher above the dock.  It can be a pain in the a** sometimes (depending on the boat) but this technique can give you some peace when you see that water start to rise with no end in sight!

• 3 years later...

Hey all on this same topic how much dock ceiling height above the water will I need to store my 2019 25 LSV on a lift ? I don’t want to have to raise and lower tower each time. 

house I’m looking at buying is on end of a cove so no wake

I just need the hull 6” or so out of the water. Looks like I got 6-8’ at this house im looking at but could possibly modify the ceiling structure some and/or put higher floats under the whole dock to get me to 8-10’ max height 

currently no lift installed so I would have to put one on

Any advice is appreciated 

Edited by a2t
  • 3 weeks later...

thanks for all the advice lol

I did figure out you need about 11' above the water on your dock to fit a wakesetter with the tower up.

21 hours ago, a2t said:

thanks for all the advice lol

I did figure out you need about 11' above the water on your dock to fit a wakesetter with the tower up.

Thought about answering originally but - walk out to your boat with a tape measure seemed too obvious ;)

Bluefishcay

Having worked on many lifts I recommend the maxis tilting top on a floe 6k or 8k lift.  It’s a deep top which lets the tower go up into it.  Also by getting the tilt, it raises the front so it’s easier to get in and out.   6-8’ of water is about perfect.  Might need a extension kit, but not deep water legs.  Get the 24v and add solar panels.  Becomes almost maintenance free and no wiring needed.  

I have a 5k loft for my rlxi and it is 18-24” out of the water and the tower is always up.  The 6/8k lifts are even bigger.  

You talking a floating dock or one that sits on the bottom and doesn't move?  Probably a big difference between the two.  Our boat is on a floating dock and I'd estimate about 2.5 to 3 feet from the deck to the water's surface.  If it's too low to the water and you get some waves I'd worry about the boat riding over the top of the decking as it moves with the waves.

image.thumb.png.55c4156b90cba4fa3a535ee2e5653526.png