Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

09 LSV vs 11 LSV vs 14 T22?

votas

Looking at a few boats this week and wanted to get feedback.  I’ve had a 2000 21 VLX which has been a great boat for us for a long time.  I’m looking to get something a bit bigger and more importantly, better push for surfing as we are doing more surfing than wakeboarding now (although we will continue to do both plus occasional tube).  Budget is $45-60k.  I’m looking at a 2009 23 LSV, a 2012 23 LSV and. 2014 t22.  From what I’ve seen/read, we get improved interior comforts and bells and whistles with the LSVs and the t22 will basically be a lot like my current boat but with a better wake, tower, and Surf Gate.  Not sure on the big differences between the 09 and 12, in fact, it seems like the 2013-14 there are bigger improvements (Surfgate and Transom seating).  I like the simplicity of the t22, as it looks like it’s more mechanical and less computer based (ie: shift on wire) which means it would be easier  for me to work on it vs take it to the dealer.  

Purchase  price being equal, are the creature comforts of the LSV that much better in an 09 and 12 Malibu than a 14 Axis?  Is Surfgate that much better than a Mission Delta or some other wake enhancer?   I don’t think I care much about the power wedge vs the manual wedge as I’d probably drop it for 2-3 of our regular riders, but then again...I’ve never been behind the power wedge so don’t know the difference.  

Opinions and thoughts on the differences, pros and cons?

ahopkins22LSV

Personally I’d go for the T22. The surf devices work great but if you are switching sides you have to transfer the device. With surf gate, you push a button. I know two people that had 2014 t22’s and loved them. @Raimie and another friend on our lake. They throw great surf waves and neither of them had issues.

T22 here as well. Even though the '09 may have less hours and been maintained very well it is still getting long in the tooth and some of those bells and whistles are going to start to give you problems if they haven't already been fixed. The actuators for those MY wedges seem to be a more common posted concern on here and sound like they are getting harder to find. I started surfing both sides a lot more with my '19 because of not having to mess with a "suck gate" like I did on my '10. So much of a time saver and most of my friends with out boats surf the normal side so that makes things a lot more enjoyable now with out having to swap bags and MOVE people!

So given that your budget goes up to 60k, keep in mind that the 14 T22s have/omit a few "featues" :

1: old tower (only appeared on T22 in 14)

2: transmission gearing 1.5:1 vs 1.72:1 (except 409) in 15-18 (might be 17 that you could get 1.72:1 with 409.... not precisely sure on that)

3: lenco vs hydro actuators on surfgates which began in 2016

4: surfband (17 or 18? can't remember).

@teamerickson lives in your neck of the woods and had a 14 T22 so could weigh in somewhat on the pros and cons above.  Assuming you plan on using the boat at "low" lakes and bodies of water around Sacramento you will probably be fine, but a 14 on Tahoe isn't going to surf well methinks.

(disclosure -- I have a 16 T22 (same hull as 14) and it has been a fabulous boat for us... my biggest (only?) complaint is that the fuel tank is only 42 gallons and it's not hard to burn through that much in a day of surfing)

• Like 1

T22 for sure between the 3 you are considering, especially if price and hours are comparable between the 3. If you are going to surf a lot,  you might need to swap props on the T22 to the "torque prop" depending on what it comes with.