Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 20VTX In-depth Review

ahopkins22LSV

11 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Do you course or open water ski? If open water? I suggest trying 28 off. It’s a better pull regardless of the boat you are behind. 

You would think Id know that. It's a good day when you learn something new!

Both course and open water pending conditions and available driver. At my age and fitness/fatness i'm not having much course success beyond 32@22. I will go to 28 for free ski Wed and try it out. 

Cheers

• Like 1

Once you start free skiing at yellow and green, you'll never want to go back to orange or red.

15 and 22 feel similar, kinda squishy and slow

28 and 32 feel like you hit the nitrous, but you can still turn, set an angle, and go.  That and the wakes are best here regardless of boat if you're going 32 mph or faster.

35 and shorter you start to feel the trough and it feels like you're always turning/arcing and feel less like you're on straight path through the wakes.  Feels odd.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Checking in and a question. I can’t believe how good the ski wake is on this boat. Followed the advice regarding speed/length. I would say there is exactly ZERO wake at 34.5mph and 38off with wife driving and my 3 children under 7 in the passenger seat.

Question: has anyone had any problems with the surf pipe quiet exhaust skiing consistently at these speeds? Is there any risk to damaging it or it’s mounting point?

I ordered mine without it based on a recommendation but I’m second guessing that. My wife and I ski and surf. I’ve heard a ton about how quiet it is not to mention the obvious benefit of porting during surf sessions. I just don’t want to have to repair it annually or worry about any other issues it may cause. Thoughts?

Also wanted to give a huge thanks to everyone especially @ahopkinsVTX for this thread and the amazing info. Some of the small takeaways are quite beneficial like using the lift position on the wedge. For my kids learning to ski the lift position has been a god send, one from the navigation standpoint being able to keep the bow down at low speeds, but two, the wake factor for my son increasing his confidence. anyone max out the speed on that setting yet? I’m kinda chicken, was going to try to take it up to 30 but couldn’t bring myself to ignore the warning. 

Thanks again guys!

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

@ahopkinsVTX @MacIndy2020@Skicolorado Really helpful thread.  We purchased our 2020VTX in Dec.2020 and had only tried skiing a couple times this summer and got frustrated and just surfed :(  This is getting me motivated to give it another go.  Previous boat was a 2002 21' LSV and we liked the wake for a V-drive.

I ski 32mph and my wife skis 30, open water.  Just looking for the softest wake we can get.  We currently don't have the center mount pylon. (Open to buying it if it will help!) 

From the threads it sounds like 32 @ 32 off from rear pylon may work for me and 30 @ 15 may be the ticket for her?  One 100# kid in bow and one in passenger seat.

Appreciate any additional feedback to cut back on experimenting and frustration. 

Edited by rnowacki
2 hours ago, rnowacki said:

@ahopkinsVTX @MacIndy2020@Skicolorado Really helpful thread.  We purchased our 2020VTX in Dec.2020 and had only tried skiing a couple times this summer and got frustrated and just surfed :(  This is getting me motivated to give it another go.  Previous boat was a 2002 21' LSV and we liked the wake for a V-drive.

I ski 32mph and my wife skis 30, open water.  Just looking for the softest wake we can get.  We currently don't have the center mount pylon. (Open to buying it if it will help!) 

From the threads it sounds like 32 @ 32 off from rear pylon may work for me and 30 @ 15 may be the ticket for her?  One 100# kid in bow and one in passenger seat.

Appreciate any additional feedback to cut back on experimenting and frustration. 

Go the speed you want and then look over the stern for the rooster tail at the end of the wake triangle that forms from the back corners of the boat.  Then throw a line on the boat where you attach it (usually the pylon) with a handle on the end and throw the handle in the water.  You want the handle to ride a bit in front of or behind the rooster tail so pull the line in and out until you find the right line length.

Make sense? 

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
11 hours ago, rnowacki said:

8 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

Go the speed you want and then look over the stern for the rooster tail at the end of the wake triangle that forms from the back corners of the boat.  Then throw a line on the boat where you attach it (usually the pylon) with a handle on the end and throw the handle in the water.  You want the handle to ride a bit in front of or behind the rooster tail so pull the line in and out until you find the right line length.

Make sense? 

I agree with this. For just free skiing I’d suggest getting in front for the rooster tail. From the rear pylon it is probably 32 off. I’d also suggest that you try 34mph and your wife too or at least 32. The wake really starts to flatten out nice. If you want to stay at 15 off I’d say 32 in a minimum speed and definitely off the rear pylon as you want to be behind the rooster tail.

In front of the tail is going to be a lot flatter than behind the tail for sure; the only caveat is that 32 off is a pretty quick whip.   If you are struggling with the basics of slalom mechanics (I have no idea what your skill level is) I'd opt for the longer rope while you learn how to turn and get stacked.  Then later shorten and work on getting free of the boat (and watch all the Brooke Baldwin and Allie Nicholson videos you can get your hands on!).    

• 2 weeks later...

Finally bringing some pics to the table. Sorry for the late post. Also, would probably have more boat-focused pics but three kids are hard to wrangle!

disclaimer: the snow is from March. Pics throughout the summer  

65E1A841-625E-481C-9AFC-40D607EFAF7F.jpeg

E32E78C5-52FD-40BC-B405-44526291CF6D.jpeg

A40B47B7-6659-4DF8-8C78-3E3266BFCAA7.jpeg

EA9EB231-BBFD-4D92-B968-FA5502EAB808.jpeg

519748BF-FD63-4028-9D88-494098FD6E35.jpeg

F1EFF280-C86E-4606-B264-A569E77045BA.jpeg

What a great thread.   I came off a DD and I’m a diehard skier but had to make the move as the kids started to surf.   I have a 2017 VTX and if the 2021 skis better i would upgrade. If its a better ski wake what was the change 

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
5 hours ago, Skierfirst said:

What a great thread.   I came off a DD and I’m a diehard skier but had to make the move as the kids started to surf.   I have a 2017 VTX and if the 2021 skis better i would upgrade. If its a better ski wake what was the change 

It is for sure better. I’m not 100% sure what they changed but if my memory serves me correctly they state in the 2020 walk through video that they were able to change some things to get more lift. I also think having the M5 engine as standard helped as it is lighter than the raptor. 

• 3 weeks later...

@ahopkinsVTX Thanks for the Wedge on Lift input.  I tried 28 and 32 off without Lift, but was just too short for my liking.  Open water at 28, 30, 32 MPH with Wedge set to Lift makes an incredibly soft wake with zero pop when we cross it at 15 off. The boat is a little 'floaty' and driver better have both hands on the wheel, but worth it for the soft wake and smile on my wife's face.

Happy skiing all!  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, rnowacki said:

@ahopkinsVTX Thanks for the Wedge on Lift input.  I tried 28 and 32 off without Lift, but was just too short for my liking.  Open water at 28, 30, 32 MPH with Wedge set to Lift makes an incredibly soft wake with zero pop when we cross it at 15 off. The boat is a little 'floaty' and driver better have both hands on the wheel, but worth it for the soft wake and smile on my wife's face.

Happy skiing all!  

Really great to hear!! I'd try filling the bow ballast or even half of the center ballast to see if it plants the boat a bit more. I haven't had time to experiment more with it.

Considering a 2022 VTX 20 and I want to be able to use a boom. 

G5 tower - I don't think you can get a tower mounted boom because you can't fit the hardware on the tower.

You could use the pylon mounted boom, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this.  Is the pylon solid enough?

The TXi performance tower might work for tower mounted boom, is the tubing 2.5 inches in diameter?

Because the pylon falls right in line with the base of the tower, it doesn't look like it would work.

One other question about TXi tower, how much coverage does the Bimini top provide?  Will it cover everyone from windshield to seats in front of engine cover?

31 minutes ago, OKIESRB said:

Considering a 2022 VTX 20 and I want to be able to use a boom. 

G5 tower - I don't think you can get a tower mounted boom because you can't fit the hardware on the tower.

You could use the pylon mounted boom, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this.  Is the pylon solid enough?

The TXi performance tower might work for tower mounted boom, is the tubing 2.5 inches in diameter?

Because the pylon falls right in line with the base of the tower, it doesn't look like it would work.

One other question about TXi tower, how much coverage does the Bimini top provide?  Will it cover everyone from windshield to seats in front of engine cover?

I'll be honest - Not sure on the boom or tower questions.

The bimini will not cover from windshield to rear seat very well as it just goes forward and not back on the TXi tower. This is the main reason we still went with the G3.5 tower. Now, Axis offers a new bimini option that goes forward and back that looks to be the same size at the G3.5 / G5 biminis. This would offer coverage you are seeking and we probably would have gone with the TXi tower if that was an option. Not saying it is for 2022, but for sure worth the question. That said, even with the bigger bimini it is not always shading all the seats, depends on sun angle and direction.

How does one install the removable pylon on the 20 VTX?  Does it screw into floor? I was wondering about hooking a boom up to it, but from the manual I found on the internet, it says "DO NOT attempt to use the pylon for any purpose other than towing individuals behind the boat with an appropriate towing rope.  DO NOT attempt to tow another boat by attaching a rope to the pylon.  This will overload the pylons and cause damage to the boat which will not be covered by the warranty."

Anyone?

ahopkins22LSV
4 hours ago, OKIESRB said:

How does one install the removable pylon on the 20 VTX?  Does it screw into floor? I was wondering about hooking a boom up to it, but from the manual I found on the internet, it says "DO NOT attempt to use the pylon for any purpose other than towing individuals behind the boat with an appropriate towing rope.  DO NOT attempt to tow another boat by attaching a rope to the pylon.  This will overload the pylons and cause damage to the boat which will not be covered by the warranty."

Anyone?

It does not screw in. It slides into a hole then twists to lock into place. I can see why their wouldn’t want anything mounted to it. Then again you ski from it do not sure if a boom would truly be dangerous or not. 

5 hours ago, OKIESRB said:

Anyone?

I don't know about the newer VTX models but I know I've been told about my '13 VTX is that the no-boom-rule on the middle removable pylon is because of the upward force put on it by the boom.  In otherwords you have someone out there hanging on it and it acts as a lever to pull UP on the pylon and the mechanism that holds it DOWN in the floor isn't made to hold any force from pulling UP on it.

• Like 1

Thanks, in talking with Lane Bowers, that is exactly what he said the boom MUST be able to withstand.  

The new G5 tower doesn't support the tower mounted boom since there is no way to fit the clamps around it.

That leaves opting for the TXi tower, that is if the tubing is 2.5" in diameter.  The downside is the coverage of the Bimini isn't as nice as the G5.

Should have held on to my 91 Malibu Skier and just buy a surf boat.  May have to do that with the Tige 20i.

• 1 month later...

Appreciate all the awesome info on slaloming behind the 20VTX.

I am looking to buy a new 2022 20VTX.  My wife and I are lifetime skiers, with many years of show skiing in our background.  We are in our late-50's and mostly slalom and barefoot.  We have 3 kids who are in the 20's who like to wakeboard.  We look forward to being able to surf with this boat as well.

My love is barefooting.  Has anyone mounted a barefoot boom to the tower on this boat?  If so, what tower (G5 or TXi)?  My concern is the spray from the side of the boat.  Is this even possible on this boat, or am I going to drown in the spray?

We are moving up from a 2004 MC Prostar.197TT which has served us well for many years.

Would appreciate any feedback or input on anyone using a barefoot boom on this boat.  My fallback option is to get a Response.  This boat will be in Wisconsin, so I still have time to decide.  Many thanks all.

Edited by DanN
further specifying my question
  • 9 months later...

I’m wondering… is there a huge difference in the slalom wake between the 2019 VTX and 2020 VTX? I know significant upgrades were made for 2020 model, but wondering how significant the change was to the ski wake.

Edited by mrellis
Spelling error