Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 20VTX In-depth Review

ahopkins22LSV

Nice!!! Just a side note we had a Nautique GS20 at our lake yesterday. Very nice looking boat and Nautique is a great company with outstanding boats but it is not a legit crossover. I would never take it through the course. Recreational skiing only. It’s more of a wakeboard boat that can surf ok and can kinda ski. Made me realize how nice the VTX is. 

• Like 3
ahopkins22LSV
6 minutes ago, Skicolorado said:

Nice!!! Just a side note we had a Nautique GS20 at our lake yesterday. Very nice looking boat and Nautique is a great company with outstanding boats but it is not a legit crossover. I would never take it through the course. Recreational skiing only. It’s more of a wakeboard boat that can surf ok and can kinda ski. Made me realize how nice the VTX is. 

That’s good to hear! We were going to demo one a few years ago but the price just wasn’t in the cards for us so we never did. I like the boat overall though so that’s cool to hear on performance. 

• 2 weeks later...

Did you manage to try it out at the slower speeds yet (28, 30, and/or 32)?

My 08 VTx isn't really course worthy at 28. At 30 with some ballast in the bow I was able to attempt the course (still very much a beginner) but the wake is rather punishing if you aren't really hard on edge. I haven't skied it much faster than that but I have looked at the wake on my boat at the faster speeds and it definitely looks like it flattens out considerably so I have quite the incentive to advance in the respect.

ahopkins22LSV

I haven’t yet :(. To be honest I’ve skied about ten times and only one of those being behind the vtx. It’s not been a good year to ski for me. I might get an opportunity this weekend but I’m trying to figure out if I have the time to go out and spend a few hours trying all the setups. I want to do it right and not just throw something together for you guys. 

Nice write up.   Your boat does look like a very nice multi-sport option.  

I also wonder if 100lbs. or so right up in the tip of the bow would help with 22' off.  

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
4 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

Nice write up.   Your boat does look like a very nice multi-sport option.  

I also wonder if 100lbs. or so right up in the tip of the bow would help with 22' off.  

Ah good point, I knew I forgot something. We had driver and a spotter, 65% fuel, 100lbs of lead in the observer storage compartment, 100 of left bow seat, and 100 on front bow seat. Other than that, 100% stock.

Great skiing. It sounds like the ZO setup in that boat does use the accelerometer also. Can clearly hear the engine throttling up in your wake crossings at 34.2. It may not expose those settings via the display but I wonder if it's set at B2 behind the scenes or something. 

Those wakes look nearly identical to the '01 Sunsetter VLX that's long been considered an amazing ski V. Kudos to Malibu for remembering there are still a few of us swervers left! 

What an awesome boat. Fits in most garages, can surf like a champ, and you can slalom behind it without dying. 

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV
56 minutes ago, Skicolorado said:

Great skiing and great review. Did you try lift mode at all at 30mph? What’s your thoughts on lift mode?

Thank you! I did not. That could be something else I try in the future. My thoughts are it would have to be a bug improvement to run it in lift. You said it makes tracking worse right?

Yes tracking was worse but was curious. My review at 30mph ski wakes is solely off my wife and she’s not as open minded 😜

Great info @ahopkinsvtx. Thank you! Are you filling any front or center ballasts for slalom skiing or just running empty. And that's some nice skiing too!

ahopkins22LSV
14 minutes ago, KeithN said:

Great info @ahopkinsvtx. Thank you! Are you filling any front or center ballasts for slalom skiing or just running empty. And that's some nice skiing too!

All ballast completely empty for now. I may try some in the bow but for what we’ve done to this point it’s just been the 300lbs of lead spaced as I mentioned. And thank you! Been a slow season for me skiing. Just thankful to get out behind the boat when I can. 

Thanks for the video reviews! That wake off the rear pylon 15' off looks reasonably similar to my boats. I will have to get some video and look at them more side by side. Problem with the 08 is there is no center pylon. So accessing that super smooth wake in front of the rooster tail is much harder. That wake off that center pylon definitely looks course worthy. Glad to see you are getting a lot out of your upgrade! Malibu did right this year. Might have to think hard if I want to upgrade or not but as we just paid off the 08 the cost/benefit ratio might not be there but now this will be in the back of my mind.

Edited by LateNightSalami
  • Like 1

Great review, thanks! Any reason why you picked-up the wake tower instead of the txi-like tower on your boat? Looks like the wake tower is somehow obstructing the rope when skiing at shorter length: is that not a problem?

ahopkins22LSV
2 hours ago, Julbur said:

Great review, thanks! Any reason why you picked-up the wake tower instead of the txi-like tower on your boat? Looks like the wake tower is somehow obstructing the rope when skiing at shorter length: is that not a problem?

Thank you. 

Main reason is the bimini coverage is better. My wife has had skin cancer so that takes priority. I also think it looks better and the bimini is nicer for board storage and looks too. The rope will touch yes, but if you notice it is only at times when there is no load on the line. I can feel it, but impacts absolutely nothing for me. 

Thanks @ahopkinsVTX for all the postings.  You've got a beautiful boat!  I have a 2014 23LSV that we wakeboard and surf behind but I depend on my neighbor with his 1989 Mastercraft to waterski behind.  While I've gotten spoiled skiing behind his boat, I've been wanting to get out in the middle of the morning in the middle of the week when he's working and the water is glass (benefit of being retired).  Unfortunately, I have no desire to ski the wake behind my boat.  I read about the VTX and have tried to demo it twice but mechanical problems stopped the first demo and life got in the way of the 2nd.  I'm hoping the 3rd works out.  Your VTX looks like it's putting out a great surf wake.  Did you demo the boat with the PNP in it?  Was your boat delivered with the PNP installed by the dealership or did you add afterwards?  Finally, you give a great description of your boat at the beginning of your posts and I was interested if any of the features were added options and if so, which ones were they?  I would hate to order a boat thinking I was going to get a feature only to find out it was an option and we didn't order it.  Have you had anyone out wakeboarding behind it? If the surfing, wakeboarding and skiing perform as you describe and show, our biggest tradeoff will be whether we want to give up the internal space of the 23LSV for me to be able to ski anytime I want.  Again, thanks for all the post as it's been great to see and hear your thoughts and experience!

ahopkins22LSV
9 hours ago, vawareagle said:

Thanks @ahopkinsVTX for all the postings.  You've got a beautiful boat!  I have a 2014 23LSV that we wakeboard and surf behind but I depend on my neighbor with his 1989 Mastercraft to waterski behind.  While I've gotten spoiled skiing behind his boat, I've been wanting to get out in the middle of the morning in the middle of the week when he's working and the water is glass (benefit of being retired).  Unfortunately, I have no desire to ski the wake behind my boat.  I read about the VTX and have tried to demo it twice but mechanical problems stopped the first demo and life got in the way of the 2nd.  I'm hoping the 3rd works out.  Your VTX looks like it's putting out a great surf wake.  Did you demo the boat with the PNP in it?  Was your boat delivered with the PNP installed by the dealership or did you add afterwards?  Finally, you give a great description of your boat at the beginning of your posts and I was interested if any of the features were added options and if so, which ones were they?  I would hate to order a boat thinking I was going to get a feature only to find out it was an option and we didn't order it.  Have you had anyone out wakeboarding behind it? If the surfing, wakeboarding and skiing perform as you describe and show, our biggest tradeoff will be whether we want to give up the internal space of the 23LSV for me to be able to ski anytime I want.  Again, thanks for all the post as it's been great to see and hear your thoughts and experience!

Whew, lots of questions here. I will do my best.

I did not demo the 2020 before we bought it. We ordered it in January. I had faith that it would not disappoint based on my previous experience with the VTX and Malibu in general. We have always used 550 plug n play bags for surfing though. Our dealer includes bags with all purchases.

For features and options, your best bet is to go to your dealer, sit down and build one. Go through every option with them. Standard items are the basics in the boat, trash can, cup holders, floor drains, etc. Everything else you pick. From the thread color on the dash to the hull color. You can literally build a boat with almost anything you want. Some of the must have options that I will never order a boat with our are: Heater, power lift driver seat, cleats, bimini, trailer transom steps. Everything else I love, and probably would check again, but those are key key items for us. If you are going to order, its a great idea to get the initial build from the dealer and then post the option list on these forums. Wealth of knowledge here and tons of experience for people to say, "oh you need this and why", or "take a second thought about that option because I've had it and never used it". Also go through your dealers inventory to find examples of options you are debating.

@hunter77ah might be able to help you with the wakeboarding review. We don't board. He did last year during our polar bear event, so it was very cold and windy, but that is the best review I can think of.

Thanks @ahopkinsVTX!  We actually ordered our 23LSV through the dealership up in MD so familiar with the process.  Even got a book from Malibu that contain pictures of our boat as  it was being built. New to the forum so this has been really informative.  Thanks again and look forward to sharing experiences!

• Like 1

Thanks ahopkinsVTX for such an extensive review of the 20 VTX.  I am new to the forum and will most likely put in an order for a 2021 20 VTX once they become available.

I have some questions:

1 - I read on another forum thread that the surf exhaust pipe hurts the ski wake.  My sibling has a 2015 Mastercraft X30 and the exhaust fumes are pretty bad when surfing.  Anyone have feedback on exhaust fumes while surfing on the 20 VTX w/out the surf exhaust pipe?

2 - We will be using the boat primarily at a lake in Wyoming with an elevation of 5,600'.  Sounds like the M5Di engine is great, but given the high elevation should I consider the M6Di or is that overkill?  Or do I just need to get the correct prop.  I will use the boat mainly for skiing a course and surfing.

3 - It there a door/cover that can slide under the center window behind the bow seating?  When I walked through the boat at the dealer last week I noticed there seemed to be a slot/bracket for a door/cover to slide into but I forgot to ask.

4 - How do the android features for music like Spotify work?  Do you download music beforehand while connected to your home wifi? Or do you connect to your phone and stream using cell data while at the lake?

5 - Anyone have any insight on what the updates for the 2021 model will be and when they will release the details?  I am hoping they might do a transom walk-over like the new 2021 23 LSV, but I realize that is most likely wishful thinking given the large redesign for 2020 VTX.

6 - Lastly - this isn't a big deal but I have seen/heard so much conflicting information about the Dry Weight of the 20 VTX.  The Malibu website says 3,500 lbs but the Malibu brochure lists it as 3,950 lbs.  Anyone know what it really is?

Thanks again for all the information so far.  I have learned a ton on these forums....and sorry for so many questions at once.

9 minutes ago, woody107 said:

Thanks ahopkinsVTX for such an extensive review of the 20 VTX.  I am new to the forum and will most likely put in an order for a 2021 20 VTX once they become available.

I have some questions:

1 - I read on another forum thread that the surf exhaust pipe hurts the ski wake.  My sibling has a 2015 Mastercraft X30 and the exhaust fumes are pretty bad when surfing.  Anyone have feedback on exhaust fumes while surfing on the 20 VTX w/out the surf exhaust pipe?

BC - If you order the power wedge III, it comes standard with surf exhaust which I recommend you getting for resale.  Cannot talk to the effect of ski wake.

2 - We will be using the boat primarily at a lake in Wyoming with an elevation of 5,600'.  Sounds like the M5Di engine is great, but given the high elevation should I consider the M6Di or is that overkill?  Or do I just need to get the correct prop.  I will use the boat mainly for skiing a course and surfing.

BC - Two routes to go here, the upgrade to the M6 is not that much more $$ as it has been previously and if you can handle that, do it.  But, a prop will make a big impact either route you go with the motor.

3 - It there a door/cover that can slide under the center window behind the bow seating?  When I walked through the boat at the dealer last week I noticed there seemed to be a slot/bracket for a door/cover to slide into but I forgot to ask.

BC - Yes, there is a wind blocker, in the larger boats it is under the bow cushions.

4 - How do the android features for music like Spotify work?  Do you download music beforehand while connected to your home wifi? Or do you connect to your phone and stream using cell data while at the lake?

BC - yes, if you have a spotify subscription, you can download music when connected to wifi for offline listening.  You can also use your phone as a hotspot or just use your phone's playlist and bluetooth it to the boat.

5 - Anyone have any insight on what the updates for the 2021 model will be and when they will release the details?  I am hoping they might do a transom walk-over like the new 2021 23 LSV, but I realize that is most likely wishful thinking given the large redesign for 2020 VTX.

6 - Lastly - this isn't a big deal but I have seen/heard so much conflicting information about the Dry Weight of the 20 VTX.  The Malibu website says 3,500 lbs but the Malibu brochure lists it as 3,950 lbs.  Anyone know what it really is?

Thanks again for all the information so far.  I have learned a ton on these forums....and sorry for so many questions at once.

1 hour ago, woody107 said:

I have some questions:

our 2011 vtx had no surf pipe, just flappers on the exhaust.  i never felt like the exhaust was really bad when surfing behind it.  Our 2019 has surf pipe, and i have not noticed exhaust even once surfing behind it.  I can't imagine that the effect on the wake for skiing would be sufficient to justify not having it.

Edited by asnowman