Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

08 Power Wedge Gauge Issue

I don't think the gauge for the power wedge on my 08 VLX has ever worked properly since i've owned the boat, but it's been good enough.  At the end of last season, it hardly ever showed the true position of the wedge and sometimes wouldn't respond at all to the movement of the wedge.  It's always had an issue of being incorrect after re-starting the boat with the wedge deployed, but it would fix itself after bumping the wedge a little.  The power wedge itself seems to work fine.

Has anyone else had this or a similar a similar issue with the wedge position gauge.  I'm not going to the dealer with this problem as it's not worth it to me.  If I can't figure out a fix, I'll just live with it.

I agree with you, I don't think my '08 gauge works very well either.  When I hit deploy, the needle moves to the 12 o'clock position but as soon as I hit down it goes straight to the bottom regardless whether the wedge does or not.  It hasn't bothered me enough to really troubleshoot, but I'd be interested to hear others thoughts or advice on it.

I think there is a sync issue between the gauge and the unit.  If I turn power off with the unit up, 90% of the time it shows it all the way down.  SO, if it's up when battery gets re-connected, it will show down.

You can adjust the wedge/rams by disconnecting the rams from the wedge and screwing them in or out the same number of turns to get the wedge in a position to match what position the gauge is saying. Probably not the best or a permanent fix, but it will work.

21 hours ago, Kojak said:

https://www.bakesonline.com/bakes-resource-library

Scroll down to Mechanical. There's a pdf file labeled Malibu Power Wedge Calibration. 

Give that a try. 

Thanks for the link.   I always switch the battery off when I take it out of the water and had no idea there was a calibration procedure that was required after the battery power had been killed.  Hopefully I'll have it on the water in the next three weeks or so and can try this out.

Edited by Kirk Rieber