Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2a fuse for 14.5 ft of rgb led?

DOJOLOACH2

Based on my calculations with manufacturer of led amp ratings, it looks like I should go for a 2 or 2.5 amp fuse between controller and the first LEDs strip (link below on product) but as a summary:

LED quantity: 30LED/m, 150 LEDs

Working Current/5Meter: 2A

Working Temperature: -20°C-60°C

Output: three CMOS drain-open output

Connection mode: Common Anode(+)

Input/Output: 12V

Max load current: 2A each color

https://www.ebay.com/p/27034063711

My question to you all is if I'm pushing all 3 colors at Max brightness I would need a huge fuze, like giant... What have you guys used for fuzes to stay safe? I've got 141 led total all In parallel with eachother

Based on the link you provided, i believe I would choose a different setup.  The main title of the item when you first click the link is that its a waterproof 5050 RGB kit.  But, once you look a the details of the item, it states that its an INDOOR USE 3528 LED strip.  The whole ad just doesnt give a very warm fuzzy.

I have yet to install them, but this is a kit that i ordered that i plan on using for my Axis.  I did plug them in and played around with them in the living room.  The app seems easy enough.  The constructions appears to be on par with all the other kits out there and they are IP65 rated (waterproof)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XHKN8QL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just my thoughts...

8 minutes ago, Texan32 said:

Based on the link you provided, i believe I would choose a different setup.  The main title of the item when you first click the link is that its a waterproof 5050 RGB kit.  But, once you look a the details of the item, it states that its an INDOOR USE 3528 LED strip.  The whole ad just doesnt give a very warm fuzzy.

I have yet to install them, but this is a kit that i ordered that i plan on using for my Axis.  I did plug them in and played around with them in the living room.  The app seems easy enough.  The constructions appears to be on par with all the other kits out there and they are IP65 rated (waterproof)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XHKN8QL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just my thoughts...

Thanks for the input. I did notice the temp range was a bit low for summer... These will be interior lights but any comments on fuse rating?

Unless these will just straight up catch on fire I plan to use and will replace with better ones when the time cokdst

i saved one of the pics form the listing and zoomed in on the controller.  It states that it has s 6A max output.  I cant be sure, but that gives the illusion that there might be an over current switch built into it.  If the current peaks over 6 amps, it shuts down and power must be cycled for it to begin working again. Again, that is only a guess.  If you wanted to play it safe, i think a 3-5 amp fuse would be sufficient.  This would offer the controller a little protections.  Working amperage does not account for inrush current.  But, it shouldn't be very much.  You aren't charging a 2 farad cap.

Thanks Texan, I'll opt for a 5amp

I'll report back my findings and pics of the lights once installed

Edited by DOJOLOACH2
12 hours ago, DOJOLOACH2 said:

Thanks for the input. I did notice the temp range was a bit low for summer... These will be interior lights but any comments on fuse rating?

Unless these will just straight up catch on fire I plan to use and will replace with better ones when the time cokdst

60C = 140F.  Where is your summer? 

10 hours ago, justgary said:

60C = 140F.  Where is your summer? 

Lol whoops, I'm on the Egyptian desert haha. My bad didn't see the C