Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

fits the new wakesetter vlx on a 2000 trailer (for wakesetter vlx 2000)

sandor

I have a malibu tandem axle trailer (2000) for my sunsetter vlx, but now I sold my sunsetter and have orderd a new wakesetter vlx. Thas anyone now if the boat fits my trailer??? I live in europe and it cost a lot of money to order a new one and modefy it to our rules. I hope It fits or mayby can modefy the trailer for the wakesetter.

Thanks Sandor

I doubt it, the new VLX is 6 inches longer & 5 inches wider than your old boat. Plus, when we ordered our VLX they told us because of the weight of the boat that it needed a beefier trailer to meet towing requirements. I don't know what that would mean where you live, but I'm going to take a guess that it won't work.

Seems like trailers would be a premium over there. maybe you could sell your 2000 trailer for a good price to offset the new trailer. I would definately put your new VLX on a new trailer.

Congrats on the Bu too!

last time it toke me 6 months to get the licents for the trailer done and about 2000 euro to make it a european trailer, so I don,t want to buy a new one, this one is for 3000 kg so the new wakesetter is not to havy for the trailer. I think it takes some welding to to make it fit. I also can buy a europian trailer, but they drive like s***. And this malibu trailer drives perfect (140km/h is no problem)

sandor

I just don't get why you would buy a boat without a trailer? How do you take it in to get it serviced? The dealer doesn't keep a vast array of trailers around to bring it in and service on the water is more expensive. This happened today, Last night it was 28 and tonight it's gonna be 25, so a guy calls demanding the dealer to send somebody out to do winterization on his boat on the lift, because he didn't buy a trailer with the boat, and then bitched about the extra cost, because the dealer had to send a mechanic an hour away, to winterize his boat on the water. You really don't save that much in the long run to me.

I just don't get why you would buy a boat without a trailer? How do you take it in to get it serviced? The dealer doesn't keep a vast array of trailers around to bring it in and service on the water is more expensive. This happened today, Last night it was 28 and tonight it's gonna be 25, so a guy calls demanding the dealer to send somebody out to do winterization on his boat on the lift, because he didn't buy a trailer with the boat, and then bitched about the extra cost, because the dealer had to send a mechanic an hour away, to winterize his boat on the water. You really don't save that much in the long run to me.

In europe a trailer to fit for a malibu cost about 7000 euro,s that is about 8890 dollars , That is why!!!!

A 2006 VLX weighs about 700 lbs more than a 2000 VLX and carries 11 gallons more fuel (I assume a 2007 is the same). This will make it substantially heavier as Wakegirl pointed out. You will probably have to modify the suspension to beef it up. Also, you will have to check to see if the bunk pattern will match a 2007 hull so that you don't have the boat resting on the lifting strakes. I am guessing that you will have to adjust the bunks.

For $8800, it may be worth it to you to modify your existing trailer. Do you know anyone that has a VLX on the new hull that you could borrow to see how it sits on you older trailer? That may give you a better idea of what you are up against.

But that's also a storage thing. If he keeps the boat on the lift, then he cannot take it to the shop to get it winterized, and then put it back on the lift. We have lots of people on our lake that store their boat on the lift for the winter. Now him bitching about the extra cost? that's another story. But if you have a perfectly good covered dock, and not a big garage to keep it in, why not but the boat with no trailer and keep it on the lift year round. Sure beats having it sit in your driveway...

The biggest issue will probably be the clearance of the Gorilla fins. When they were added late in 2004 it reaked havoc with a lot of owners that had existing lifts or trailers they wanted to use. Because of the extra clearance required, you'll basically need to completely rebuild the bunks of the trailer. If you're doing that, there's no reason you can't make the rest of the trailer fit the boat.

In the end, it just comes down to dollars and sense.

Why don't you just buy a trailer over in Europe instead of having a non legal American one sent over? If you jacked up the bunks on a regular trailer and put on a prop gaurd and some guide poles it would work.