Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ZF Marine Ski1000 Throttle

jonthefireman

Test for system voltage on the blue wire of the "ahead" transmission solenoid plug when the shift lever is in forward and test for ground on the black/white wire.  Test for system voltage on the green wire of the "astern" transmission solenoid plug when the shift lever is in reverse and test for ground on the black/white wire.

A fused jumper wire connected to a 12 volt source can be used with a backprobing pin on the ahead green wire or on the astern blue wire to see if the transmission will shift.

Low transmission fluid level, internal transmission damage, or a failed flywheel drive plate will prevent the transmission from shifting even if the helm controller, wiring, shift solenoids, and shift actuator shaft are working normally.

Rang out the wires at the transmission. Power on blue and green when controller moved to Forward and Reverse. Ground wires also good. With engine running, and the controller in either forward or reverse, I can freely turn the drive/prop shaft either direction with my hands as if it is in neutral. Fluid level is also AOK.  Not good news, huh?

• 11 months later...
On 2/6/2020 at 5:31 AM, jonthefireman said:

Ok, maybe I'm crazy.  I assumed you could disengage the transmission on the Ski 1000 controller in order to warm the engine, but the more I learn about it I'm guessing that's not the case?  I reached out to ZF and they replied right away, as I suspected the Ski 1000 hasn't been manufactured for 7 years and their are no parts available. 

ZF was nice enough to give me the schematics of the the throttle, their PDF so I can't post them but I'll send them to anyone via email if you want them.   

I've scoured the web looking for replacement, I've come to the conclusion their about as rare as a rainbow unicorn.  I have yet to reach out to Malibu, does anyone know if a newer model replacement would work?

Could you be so kind to send me the schematics to the ZF throttle.    That would be great.   [email protected]   Thanks again, Bret