Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ZF Marine Ski1000 Throttle

jonthefireman

I searched through and found a couple of older posts regarding this, it seems my throttle has finally developed the same broken neutral button as others.  I took the throttle apart and while nothing seemed to be severely broken, there was a plastic ring that seemed like it cracked in two.  There is also a small spring like brass washer that was floating around, which I assume is supposed to be with the plastic ring somewhere.  I've searched the web (Bakes and GLS) looking for parts or a new control with no luck.  Does anyone have any suggestions, or possibly know of a parts schematic for the control?  With a 12 year old Hammerhead, it's gonna be tough not to have neutral to help warm her up!

Ok, maybe I'm crazy.  I assumed you could disengage the transmission on the Ski 1000 controller in order to warm the engine, but the more I learn about it I'm guessing that's not the case?  I reached out to ZF and they replied right away, as I suspected the Ski 1000 hasn't been manufactured for 7 years and their are no parts available. 

ZF was nice enough to give me the schematics of the the throttle, their PDF so I can't post them but I'll send them to anyone via email if you want them.   

I've scoured the web looking for replacement, I've come to the conclusion their about as rare as a rainbow unicorn.  I have yet to reach out to Malibu, does anyone know if a newer model replacement would work?

8 hours ago, jonthefireman said:

Ok, maybe I'm crazy.  I assumed you could disengage the transmission on the Ski 1000 controller in order to warm the engine, but the more I learn about it I'm guessing that's not the case?  I reached out to ZF and they replied right away, as I suspected the Ski 1000 hasn't been manufactured for 7 years and their are no parts available. 

ZF was nice enough to give me the schematics of the the throttle, their PDF so I can't post them but I'll send them to anyone via email if you want them.   

I've scoured the web looking for replacement, I've come to the conclusion their about as rare as a rainbow unicorn.  I have yet to reach out to Malibu, does anyone know if a newer model replacement would work?

Not positive, but I think Malibu has an updated version made by Livorsi that works.

1 hour ago, COOP said:

Yes, Malibu has an updated throttle.

malibu part number 007012 for econtrols and

007013 for mefi6

Thanks for the info.  Any chance this is available online, do you know what it's running?

Can anyone confirm or deny my thoughts on this button I'm pointing to?  Does it have a function or not?  Seems like it should, it has a slight spring return to it.  I've reached out to ZF to see if they have the original operation manual for it, if anyone has one they can share I would greatly appreciate it. 

ZF Ski 1000 B.JPG

51 minutes ago, OnTheWater said:

My guess is that it disengages the transmission (neutral throttle).

I agree, my thought exactly.  I've disassembled and studied the parts, nothing seems to be out of place or broken but it def doesn't do anything.  This throttle was used for years, someone has to know. 

1 hour ago, jonthefireman said:

Can anyone confirm or deny my thoughts on this button I'm pointing to?  Does it have a function or not?  Seems like it should, it has a slight spring return to it.  I've reached out to ZF to see if they have the original operation manual for it, if anyone has one they can share I would greatly appreciate it. 

ZF Ski 1000 B.JPG

Very early versions had a neutral button.  On most like the one on my 2012 it is just a black cap.  There is no reason to be reving up a fuel injected motor in neutral. 

34 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Very early versions had a neutral button.  On most like the one on my 2012 it is just a black cap.  There is no reason to be reving up a fuel injected motor in neutral. 

Newer engine I completely agree, but on a 12 year old 383 it would be nice to raise the idle just a tad at startup rather than have it spit and sputter until it's warm. 

18 minutes ago, jonthefireman said:

Newer engine I completely agree, but on a 12 year old 383 it would be nice to raise the idle just a tad at startup rather than have it spit and sputter until it's warm. 

Sounds like it needs maintenance.  There is no reason a fuel injected motor should be spitting and sputtering when cold.  Something is wrong with it.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Correct. Ive heard the early versions could do this. But every one Ive seen its just a cap. 

On 2/10/2020 at 6:24 AM, oldjeep said:

I respectfully disagree.  It can be useful during maintenance, for example when changing coolant to make sure that you get a good purge and fill before you close the cap.  Other examples exist, possibly including charging the heater quickly.  I did it when I installed perfect pass and wanted to test it (in RPM mode).  I did it when I wanted to get some MEFI data to compare with loaded performance data at the same RPM (and yes, the boat was in the water at the time).  I did it when the old man came over at the boat ramp and told me how much he missed hearing his old ski boat. 

Bill famously asked, "why would you ever need more than 640k of RAM?"  And also, "why would you need more than an 8.3 file name?"  Just because you don't see any reason to rev in neutral doesn't mean I don't. 

I happen to enjoy knowing that I can rev up my engine in neutral whenever I want.  And sometimes I do it. 

8 hours ago, oldjeep said:

For maintenance you just unplug the harness from the solonoids and then rev to your hearts content. 

Sure, but why?  Kind of a pain when you could just use a button. 

• 7 months later...

Just recently purchased an '08 247 LSV and I'm new to the electronic throttle setup...so if I am reading this correctly, my throttle (same exact one as being pointed to in photo) doesn't have the neutral "rev" button at the bottom and that black button at the bottom is just a cap? Any input is greatly appreciate. T.I.A.

• 8 months later...

Looks like my 2009 response has developed the same problem with the throttle assembly.  Intermittently will not engage forward or reverse and then if it does the position where the acceleration begins can be after rotating throtlle ~45 degrees.  

If 23LSVOwner still has the pdf of the schematics it might help.  I have the split plastic ring and the brass spring washer and not sure where they are supposed to be.  It looks like the cams may not be properly aligned with the switches and the position sensor.  Would appreciate any advice.

• 11 months later...
On 2/6/2020 at 6:31 AM, jonthefireman said:

Hi Jon, do you still have those schematics ?

tx

[email protected]

Pierre

• 2 months later...

I have that same zf controller as in the photo. John could I get the schematics also? [email protected]

Does anyone have one of these ZF Ski 1000 controllers that they replaced?  My locks for forward and reverse are still great, but the controller seems to be bad (not sending a signal to the transmission to go into forward or reverse). I’d like to slave in another controller to see if that’s really my problem before ordering the $950 part. (970) 201-1391. Boat is a 2012 Malibu Response TXi.  Jake

1 hour ago, Jakester said:

I have that same zf controller as in the photo. John could I get the schematics also? [email protected]

Does anyone have one of these ZF Ski 1000 controllers that they replaced?  My locks for forward and reverse are still great, but the controller seems to be bad (not sending a signal to the transmission to go into forward or reverse). I’d like to slave in another controller to see if that’s really my problem before ordering the $950 part. (970) 201-1391. Boat is a 2012 Malibu Response TXi.  Jake

There are microswitches that send the signal to the solenoids - if you are not getting forward or reverse, that would indicate an issue in the wiring leading to the microswitches or the cam that they ride on is somehow messed up.

You can see the 3 switches in the harness at the top.  There is a FWD, REV and Neutral switch in the full electronic version of the throttle.  I would assume that your 2012 TXI uses the same throttle as my 2012 VTX

WP_20160811_06_27_03_Pro.jpg

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 1

So I’ll rip the controller apart and do some checking. Might ring out the wires with a meter. Can the switches be replaced or will I have to go with the livorse replacement since this one is discontinued. Love to have one to slave in to see if it fixes it. 

15 hours ago, Jakester said:

So I’ll rip the controller apart and do some checking. Might ring out the wires with a meter. Can the switches be replaced or will I have to go with the livorse replacement since this one is discontinued. Love to have one to slave in to see if it fixes it. 

Take it apart slowly and take pictures.  There are some wave washers in there that you will want to pay attention to where they go.  

We’ll I rang out the wires on the ZF controller and they all ohm check fine from circuit board to plug end. The controller is in pristine condition (no water, corrosion, nothing). The 3 switches inside all engage when the control arm is moved from neutral to forward and from neutral to reverse. Each “clicks” on and off as the control arm is moved. Is there another common component that would cause the boat to remain in neutral (able to rev up the rpms) when placed in BOTH forward and reverse?  I did notice that the drive shaft out of the tranny spins freely no matter what position the control arm is placed in. Not sure if the drive shaft spun like this when it was in neutral before.