Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

new boat... but not malibu :( ???

OnlyInboards

I know this won't get me very far in this forum, but I've posted this question in another forum and am not getting any replies... you know the forum.. planet something or other..

I found an 00 Super Air Nautique with the 8.2 Python in it for about 28k with only 180 or so hours. This seems like a pretty good deal.. it has:

Heater, Perfect Pass, Ballast Tanks, Cd Stereo, remote, Wood Grain Dash option, Center Ski pylon "Removeable" Electric sun pad lift, Bimini top, cover and more..

I know this is the wrong forum, so you don't need to remind me, but ya'll are much more responsive over here and friendly (imho)... anyway, does anyone have any thoughts or have any of you ridden in a SAN with the Python motor?

You're coming from a Natique, so you know what the wake is like.

Why are you upgrading?

Is it big enough for the crew you'll be taking out? SAN's are notoriously small.

Are you looking for power? the 8.2 will provide it. But it'll suck gas too.

The electric sun pad will DRIVE YOU NUTS!!!!

My friend has an '00 SAN. The wake is typical SAN - which is GREAT if you like it, or it's terrible if you can't deal with the transition.

You can actually tow with the factory tower in the 'down' position. My friend showed me in the manual - it's factory recommended, and you'll get better gas mileage.

If you like SAN & it shows clean, then do it. CC makes a solid boat. Just don't get a chip on your shoulder like the other SAN owners I know.

$28K is probably a good deal - based on wear & tear.

Why are you upgrading?

Is it big enough for the crew you'll be taking out? SAN's are notoriously small.

My friend has an '00 SAN. The wake is typical SAN - which is GREAT if you like it, or it's terrible if you can't deal with the transition.

You can actually tow with the factory tower in the 'down' position. My friend showed me in the manual - it's factory recommended, and you'll get better gas mileage.

If you like SAN & it shows clean, then do it. CC makes a solid boat. Just don't get a chip on your shoulder like the other SAN owners I know.

My Sport Nautique has no ballast, different hull and is a DD. I've never ridden behind a vDrive before, there aren't any around here! I'm upgrading because i want more room than in my DD sport plus i just want a newer ride with the ballast, tower, cruise, etc. I've read a lot and most of the owners say the 8.2 doesn't get that much worse gas mileage, i'd only use it for wakeboarding, not cruising or anything (pontoon). Is the elecctric sun pad an electric motor that opens and closes the engine cover/sun pad? I can see how that would drive you nuts. I'd rather get a Malibu honestly, but I'm having a hard time finding anything in that price range that is comparable.

IF I do get it, I swear I won't get a chip! In fact, I'll probably still hang out here... thanks for the feedback! I haven't committed yet or anything, just considering....

There are lots of Bu's on this site and one vdrive wakesetter with comparable options (minus the big block) for far less. Are you willing to drive to get a new boat? Its winter, theres nothing else to do so why not make a little trip and get a Bu. It will have lots more room then the Nautique...but if you have your heart set on a Nautique then jump on the boat and enjoy!

Its winter, theres nothing else to do so why not make a little trip and get a Bu. It will have lots more room then the Nautique...

This would be my biggest concern outside of how the boat actually performs. Nautique does make a fantastic boat, but their emphasis isn't exactly on storage & ergonomics - Malibu has them beaten by a wide margin in those 2 categories IMO. As for the wake, definitely ride behind it set up the way that you would take it out for the day because people either tend to either really love that wake or really hate it. If you love it, then go for it.

I looked in boats for sale and didn't see what you were referring to (wakesetter that is less with the same options).. the SAN has only 180 hours, is in great condition from what they've told me, waiting on pics.... I don't want to go too much older than that. If I can fit 5 - 7 people on the boat and go, I'd be fine. If I could only find an 02 or newer VLX for 28k.. haha. I did see a Malibu Sunscape LSV with the Illusion X tower on sale for about the same, but it had no ballast....

As far as driving goes... I have twin 7 month old boys at the house, so taking 4 days off to go pick up a boat would probably not go over too well with the wife! I'd rather it be within a day's drive... no more than 9 hours from here. Which rules out CA, TX, OR, FL (which seems to be where all the boats ARE!)

Thanks for all the responses! This is why I ask here! The only other question I have is... based on your experience... do you think boat prices will decline further in the next two months? When is the ideal time (in general) to buy a used boat? Right before xmas maybe?

Edited by wakereviews

OK I'll jump in on this one. :( I was once a owner of a 2000 Super Air Nautique :blush: . LOL Now this is NOT a comparison to my LSV setter.

Pros:

1. I loved the wake (owned 3 Nauti's) before I saw the light.

2. Rock solid boat (had gt-40) proped down and it would pull like a horse

3. I happen to loved the power rear deck.

4. Lighter boat to tow

5. handles like its on rails

6. can handle a TON of weight.

7. Very well built boat

Cons

1. Digital dash STINKS I replaced 3 tacks (but my hours reset every time) Surprised.gif

2. Not much room and with a full boat is was VERY crouded with more than 6 adults in it

3. Very low freeboard (if you dont have kids not a problem)

4. My digital key pad also went out on vacation (learn how to hot wire it just in case)

5. The vinal and carpet is very thin and cheep

6. Not much for creature comforts

7. does NOT handle big water at all

this could get long but I'll stop here

They are awsome boats for private lakes or small lakes, In rough water it will beat you to death. I do not regret the 900+ hours I put on it. Now that I have kids alot has changed in the boat that I need and want. I can tell you I sold my 2000 in spring of 05 for 29500 and it was still in great shape with a ton of hours left on it. I personally would go and try to find a gt-40 instead of the python. It is LOUD there are NO mufflers on it. Plus it drinks gas like you would not believe. I put mine up against on in a drag race and I beat him to 30 and that is were he would pull away. On the average we had 2000+ lbs in it and it had NO problem pulling my fat arce out of the hole (265lbs).

Good luck to you and if you have anyother questions you can P.M. me with them.

Later

LT

Thanks LT, Yeah, my lake is only about 700 acres and is narrow so we don't get much big water. Does anyone have any feedback on what the best time to buy is? Would I be better off searching in Dec or Jan? Would the dollar carry more value then for people looking to get out of a payment? What are your thoughts? I obviously don't need a boat now, I live in IA and it's f'ing cold!

Its hard to tell. Some people do not want to carry the payment over the winter so I think early winter would be better than later in the winter. If you have carried a payment untill late dec or jan I would hold on to it for the spring (more money). You'll just have to go with your gut instinct.

As for the Python make sure you DRIVE is with the wife on board. drive it at "no wake" speed at surfing speed and riding speed. I can not unstate how loud it is. anything under riding speed it has a drown from Hell!!! The dealer had an 03 (in 2003 )with 10hrs on it with the python that they had to just give away (I think it went for 32k) cause no one could stand that noise.

I have a 2 and 4 yr olds, the freeboard is VERY low and it worried the wife about the kids falling over. I know this is not what you want to hear but I have "been there done that" and you want a boat that you can keep for a while before flipping it again.

later

LT

Edited by lake texoma

A) Would like to commend all that have commented on strictly answering his questions and not blasting him out of the water like you find on most forums! This truly is a great bunch of guys/gals with a wealth of knowledge to benefit and grow from!

B) I just bought my 2004 LSV/WS and I ONLY did it b/c I was fortunate enough to find a buyer within 2 weeks for my I/O and I found what I thought the right boat for me was. With regard to timing? I was told, that once the first round of boat shows come around in your area (wherever that might be), the used boat market is usually pretty saturated with people ready, willing, able to sell...esp once they determine what the dealer WON'T give them for theirs. This time of year and on into the very EARLY Spring, I think if you can get a nice, clean, used, well taken care of, low hrs boat of your liking for around LOW NADA $$$ then you have gotten a decent deal. At least that is my opinion and the basis for my jumping so quickly on my boat. It had 64hrs, kept in door, virtually showroom new, upgrade engine 380HH, Tandem Trailer...and I got it for $1000 over LOW NADA and that was *without* the engine OR trailer.

Bottom line, if this is the boat you want and can justify it...it meets your set criteria and falls closely to the aforementioned price range, then I would say jump on it.

My $.02/worth!

Scott

Thanks LT, Yeah, my lake is only about 700 acres and is narrow so we don't get much big water. Does anyone have any feedback on what the best time to buy is? Would I be better off searching in Dec or Jan? Would the dollar carry more value then for people looking to get out of a payment? What are your thoughts? I obviously don't need a boat now, I live in IA and it's f'ing cold!
A) Would like to commend all that have commented on strictly answering his questions and not blasting him out of the water like you find on most forums! This truly is a great bunch of guys/gals with a wealth of knowledge to benefit and grow from!

Thanks to everyone again... Scott, I couldn't possibly agree more! FYI. I posted the same topic on PlanetNautique about 3 hours before I posted here. As of now, I have one response. You guys all rock.

Try that on the MC board? Crazy.gif

So many forums are brand ONLY, and blast anyone that doesn't see their way!

I wish you could find a Bu that find your price range, b/c I think WakeGirl has some valid points as does Texoma...so don't discount Bu's just yet. ;-) They certainly are a better value and have a great deal more storage and all the things mentioned before. Frankly, I never was impressed with the interior layout of any late model SAN I saw at <$55k. Interior fit and finish and material used is HUGE for me. These things are expensive regardless of the material they are made from, and IMHO, they should hold up to years of use. Case and Point...a buddy has a 2002 VLX with 400hrs on it and the interior looks LIKE NEW in almost everyway. That is HUGE for me.

Anyway...best of luck in your search. Have you tried flipsell.com?

Pretty sure you could get a Vride in the very low $30s if you look hard enough.

Scott

Thanks to everyone again... Scott, I couldn't possibly agree more! FYI. I posted the same topic on PlanetNautique about 3 hours before I posted here. As of now, I have one response. You guys all rock.

I looked in boats for sale and didn't see what you were referring to (wakesetter that is less with the same options).. the SAN has only 180 hours, is in great condition from what they've told me, waiting on pics.... I don't want to go too much older than that. If I can fit 5 - 7 people on the boat and go, I'd be fine. If I could only find an 02 or newer VLX for 28k.. haha. I did see a Malibu Sunscape LSV with the Illusion X tower on sale for about the same, but it had no ballast....

As far as driving goes... I have twin 7 month old boys at the house, so taking 4 days off to go pick up a boat would probably not go over too well with the wife! I'd rather it be within a day's drive... no more than 9 hours from here. Which rules out CA, TX, OR, FL (which seems to be where all the boats ARE!)

Thanks for all the responses! This is why I ask here! The only other question I have is... based on your experience... do you think boat prices will decline further in the next two months? When is the ideal time (in general) to buy a used boat? Right before xmas maybe?

1998 VLX

Why not a 98-00 VLX?

Edited by jetskipro550
i would buy that boat in a HEARTBEAT!!!!! i'm in love with 8.1 super airs.

not to mention they are EXTREMELY rare.

Very true, there were only 11 made in 1999, granted that was the first year of "production" for the SAN branding.

I am very fond of the 210, and I would jump on that in a heartbeat. The CC guys are a very close community, but, don't rule them out. There are some very knowledgeable, good people over there.

2 things I wanted to touch on:

1. Re: Fuel usage from the 502: If you ride with a lot of ballast, it really will probably not be using much more fuel, if any. Because the 502 has so much torque that it really doesn't get bogged down by extra ballast like the 350 or 351.

2. The 502 makes all kinds of wonderful sounds, but that says it MAKES a lot of noise. It's pretty loud from what I've heard, which is great if you don't mind the extra noise, but if you're looking for a quieter ride you might be better off with a 351 GT-40.

3. I'm guessing that with the 502 (an extra 250lbs) it will probably like some weight up front... Then again that is true for any heavily weighted SAN. ;)

As others have pointed out the '00's biggest weakness are the Teleflex gauges that notoriously burn out. With that said, you might want to have the engine scanned to check the actual engine hours. (which you can do on the 502 I believe, because it is a GM motor.) When you replace the gauges, the hours restart at 0 again, so unless you have this checked out, then you're just taking the word of the seller...

All and all I love the 210 still, and man, am I sad to see it not in the '07 CC lineup. Truly a legendary boat if you love that steep beautiful vertical wake it creates. It's wake should actually be quite similar to your '92 Sport Nautique depending on how you weigh it.

Ebay feedback on my old 210: Beautiful boat A++++++++++ would own again!

Ok guys, thanks for all the great feedback! I'll see if i can get the local dealer to do an engine check for the hours, i've heard that from others as well.

Also, give Matt a call at Minnesota Inboard (952) 474-1742.

As the boat show season approaches, they will be getting in a lot of used boats and he might be able to hook you up with a Bu in your price range.

A lot of the time, their boats are sold before they hit the listings, so you would never see them.

Dave

One other thing that I'd suggest if you really want a Bu is to see if the seller will meet you half way. There are a lot of boats out there for sale right now & you may have better luck at getting that kind of cooperation out of a seller now vs. in the spring when they know that the hot season is right around the corner. Just a thought.

Why are you upgrading?

My Sport Nautique has no ballast, different hull and is a DD. I've never ridden behind a vDrive before, there aren't any around here! I'm upgrading because i want more room than in my DD sport plus i just want a newer ride with the ballast, tower, cruise, etc. I've read a lot and most of the owners say the 8.2 doesn't get that much worse gas mileage, i'd only use it for wakeboarding, not cruising or anything (pontoon). Is the elecctric sun pad an electric motor that opens and closes the engine cover/sun pad? I can see how that would drive you nuts. I'd rather get a Malibu honestly, but I'm having a hard time finding anything in that price range that is comparable.

IF I do get it, I swear I won't get a chip! In fact, I'll probably still hang out here... thanks for the feedback! I haven't committed yet or anything, just considering....

I think the pre 98 sports have the same hull as the SAN.

Whenever they added the trunk to the sport the hull changed.

Isn't there a website for the Python owners? I thought I saw it before.

Ken