Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Perfect Pass vs. Malibu's Precision Pro Speed Control?

Donnieb

Does anyone have an opinion about upgrading from Malibu's Precision Pro Speed Control to the Perfect Pass Digital Pro for a Wakesetter VTX with a diamond cut hull? We're a family of 4 and will be doing a lot of surfing, some wakeboarding, and some slalom skiing.

Thanks.

DonnieB

i dont know anything about the malibu system but we have perfect pass wake pro and it works great for surfing and wakeboarding but when you get going fast for skiing like 30, 31mph it gets funky when the skier cuts out real hard

I had PP WBPro in the last boat and Malibu Precision Pro Speed in the current boat. I have found that the Malibu system works pretty well. It seems to take just a little more time to engage and find its speed, but once it does, it holds quite well. The Malibu also works better in the mph mode than the PP did.

For the uses you have described I wouldn't bother paying for the PP and stick with the standard speed control.

but when you get going fast for skiing like 30, 31mph it gets funky when the skier cuts out real hard

Sounds like you're either running in wakeboard mode (using speed rather than rpm's) or have some other problem if you see any kind of fluctuation like that while skiing.

Mike

I had PP WBPro in the last boat and Malibu Precision Pro Speed in the current boat. I have found that the Malibu system works pretty well. It seems to take just a little more time to engage and find its speed, but once it does, it holds quite well. The Malibu also works better in the mph mode than the PP did.

For the uses you have described I wouldn't bother paying for the PP and stick with the standard speed control.

Agree, the stock system works pretty well IMO. If you do find that it doesn't work to your satisfaction, you can always add PP down the road. Don't spend the money on it unless you have to.

i dont know anything about the malibu system but we have perfect pass wake pro and it works great for surfing and wakeboarding but when you get going fast for skiing like 30, 31mph it gets funky when the skier cuts out real hard

Speed mode wasn't designed for speeds that fast. Try rpm mode for a smoother pull at skiing speeds.

• 2 weeks later...

Most cutomers who have gone from PP in older boats to new boats with Malibu Cruise like the PP alot better. But its very easy to install down the road, just the Master module, a plug and play adapter, harness down to the engine, and the display. Hardest part is fishing that cable back to the ECM.

6.5n really is great to use, but without the combo gauge, I would have a hard time giving up my analog tach and the redundant LCD. If they would just fix the problem of the system turning off when the ignition is power cycled, and make it engage a bit easier it would be the best all around (and that's without even thinking of adding rider presets, etc.).

It wouldn't be hard at all to wire PP to a switch, would solve the power problem. I like having the tach but the display is pretty big with the new multiline display and that has the digital tach.

• 4 weeks later...

I've rode all summer with the pro speed control and I don't have any negative comments to say! It holds the speed just as well as a pp as stated the only reason I would upgrade to a pp would be for a hardcore slalomer!

on dbw boats it should work as well as PP for speed based modes, if it is not there is no excuse for it really, and not good enough on malibus part IMO. its far easier to have a speed control with dbw than by cable.

i agree with most, upgrade if you slalom.

factories and dealers need to be on top of how to set up the PP dbw boats, as many are coming out with very funky CS and CR values that PP are not setting them at. thats just what im hearing Dontknow.gif