Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Black-Bottom Boat Experiences

jjackkrash

We basically float on /off, I winch the last 1 or 2 feet. Doing it that way will scuff on the bunks, but the only way you see that is from under water or on a lift. Winching the last 1 or 2 feet, perfectly centers the boat on the bunks. Works for me.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, carguy79ta said:

We basically float on /off, I winch the last 1 or 2 feet. Doing it that way will scuff on the bunks, but the only way you see that is from under water or on a lift. Winching the last 1 or 2 feet, perfectly centers the boat on the bunks. Works for me.

Ditto!

• Like 2

Both of our Bu's are now black bottomed. Maintaining the black was one of my concerns initially, but it really hasn't turned out to be an issue for us. I admit to not being as particular in season as i would like.... i mean, ski or surf vs. polish up the boats....while i am at the lake... we hit the lake and don't worry about it. So far the black gel coat has polished up just fine. 

Not trying to derail, but has anyone with the black bottom ever done the ceramic coating?  Does that make a difference on whether it scratches or not??

25 minutes ago, Sixer said:

Not trying to derail, but has anyone with the black bottom ever done the ceramic coating?  Does that make a difference on whether it scratches or not??

Obviously I have not done a black bottom, but I have ceramic coated all my cars and done a few family and friend cars and I don't view ceramic coating as scratch protection like a 3m clear paint protection film.  It is more like wax that doesn't wear off so quickly.  It seals the paint/gel and beads water like crazy but doesn't really offer physical scratch protection.  

• Like 2
18 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

Obviously I have not done a black bottom, but I have ceramic coated all my cars and done a few family and friend cars and I don't view ceramic coating as scratch protection like a 3m clear paint protection film.  It is more like wax that doesn't wear off so quickly.  It seals the paint/gel and beads water like crazy but doesn't really offer physical scratch protection.  

Continuing to derail...guess it doesnt help with water spots? I remove water spots with 50.50 distilled water and white vinegar. Would prolly have to keep doing that. Wonder how the ceramic coating holds up to vinegar. 

46 minutes ago, carguy79ta said:

Continuing to derail...guess it doesnt help with water spots? I remove water spots with 50.50 distilled water and white vinegar. Would prolly have to keep doing that. Wonder how the ceramic coating holds up to vinegar. 

I have not tried ceramic coating on gelcoat (which is more porous than paint), but on cars I use CarPro Cquarts UK 3.0 and then topcoat that with Gliss.  I use Gliss specifically to help with water spots and at least on cars it works great.  The base coat does not do as well with water spots without the topcoat.  

https://carpro.global

https://www.carpro-us.com/protection/carpro-gliss-version-2-50ml-kit/

Next spring I am thinking about giving this a try on my boat as it is supposed to be formulated specifically for gelcoat:

https://www.marine31.com/marine-31-captains-boat-coating.html

Edited by jjackkrash

My bigger concern would be around water spots.  I have black on the sides of my boat and the water spots really bug me.  Also the black dries faster on a sunny day, making it harder to avoid the water spots....

4 hours ago, cmargosi said:

My bigger concern would be around water spots.  I have black on the sides of my boat and the water spots really bug me.  Also the black dries faster on a sunny day, making it harder to avoid the water spots....

I use 50/50 white vinegar and DISTILLED water. It is honestly no problem. You wipe the boat down any way right? If you are referring to spots while on the water, well cant help with that. But if you use the vinegar/water, your boat will be spotless after you wipe it down. I also use spray wax afterthe vinegar mix. I have tried to shortcut it and skip the vinegar mix and just use Maguires spray wax, but the spots remain after the spray wax is applied. So vinegar mix then spray wax is what I do.

ahopkins22LSV
2 minutes ago, carguy79ta said:

I use 50/50 white vinegar and DISTILLED water. It is honestly no problem. You wipe the boat down any way right? If you are referring to spots while on the water, well cant help with that. But if you use the vinegar/water, your boat will be spotless after you wipe it down. I also use spray wax afterthe vinegar mix. I have tried to shortcut it and skip the vinegar mix and just use Maguires spray wax, but the spots remain after the spray wax is applied. So vinegar mix then spray wax is what I do.

Have you tried boat bling hot sauce? Or boat candy speed gloss? Both work well to remove water spots but not the wax and both actually add a bit of wax. Some prefer one over the other but I think both work good, could be one or the other is better in specific types of water. I used speed gloss all last year on ours and our black is above the rubrail so that's the worst spot for water spots and I never had any that didn't come off right away and it was just a very quick one step process. 

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Have you tried boat bling hot sauce? Or boat candy speed gloss? Both work well to remove water spots but not the wax and both actually add a bit of wax. Some prefer one over the other but I think both work good, could be one or the other is better in specific types of water. I used speed gloss all last year on ours and our black is above the rubrail so that's the worst spot for water spots and I never had any that didn't come off right away and it was just a very quick one step process. 

I will try that. Would love to have a one step process. 

2 hours ago, cmargosi said:

On to get some boat bling hot sauce for me!!  Thanks for the tip!

I use Hot Sauce on my boat and it works great, FYI my wife uses it to clean our glass shower doors too.:)  I usually order it when Overtons is having a sale, they sell it by the gallon too.

7 hours ago, dcarl said:

I use Hot Sauce on my boat and it works great, FYI my wife uses it to clean our glass shower doors too.:)  I usually order it when Overtons is having a sale, they sell it by the gallon too.

And five gallons.