Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Black-Bottom Boat Experiences

jjackkrash

Anyone with a black-bottom boat, how does it look/hold up over time? I trailer my boat and it scuffs up a bit coming on and off the trailer (there is not a great way to get my current boat on and off a trailer without some scuffing and you can safely assume I am not going to 100% float the new boat on and off the trailer). With a white bottom, it is not really that noticeable unless you are under the boat looking, but I was wondering what you folks think about a black-bottom boat.  I am considering a black-bottom boat but I have my concerns.  Thanks in advance.  

I had a black bottom boat that I trailered a ton. I did get scratches that were only noticable right in front of the bunks.  They are really easy to buff out.  Make sure your bunks are clear of sand before loading and trailer is deep enough to reduce the scratches. I wouldn't have any concerns if I were you, if you like the boat buy it.  I just ordered a 2020 and went black again. 

• Like 3

I had a black bottom boat and the bunks did leave scratches but you could only see them when you squatted down and looked at the hull. Not a big deal since no one sees the bottom of your hull any way!

Edited by Chappy

Let me preface this with I am slightly OCD. I am on #2 and would do 3 if given the chance. I float it on and off as much as possible (my wife does the driving) and I beach it pretty much daily when used. I have put Keel Shields/Guards on both of them with great success and they are nearly invisible unless you are looking for them. Bit of a challenge to get the strip on, on the trailer but easily doable when you aren’t in a rush. What I wouldn’t do again is get ebony for the interior fiberglass. It shows twice as many boo boos as my white interior deck did.

• Like 2

I have a black hull on my 2019. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I live the look of the black boats. Yes you get scrapes. But then again you get scapes on white as well. IMO. The black just looks sooo much nicer. Never hurts to try something different. 😎

5 hours ago, wdr said:

Let me preface this with I am slightly OCD. I am on #2 and would do 3 if given the chance. I float it on and off as much as possible (my wife does the driving) and I beach it pretty much daily when used. I have put Keel Shields/Guards on both of them with great success and they are nearly invisible unless you are looking for them. Bit of a challenge to get the strip on, on the trailer but easily doable when you aren’t in a rush. What I wouldn’t do again is get ebony for the interior fiberglass. It shows twice as many boo boos as my white interior deck did.

Yeah, that's why we have white on the inside also. Not to mention a  black hull looks good on the trailer also..

3 boats now with black bottoms, you will get fine scratches near the bunks from launching and pulling on trailer.  They can easily be buffed out if they bother you.  If you wipe it down after each use the black hull is a non issue for water spotting.

I would do black again on the hull.  Just personal preference but I am not a fan of black all over the entire boat, I always thought the black hull adds a nice accent color used with other colors.

• Like 3

Loved the look hated the water spots and small scratches visible on lift when raised. I didn't consider white until I got my 16, and I love it, hard to see anything, however if u float a lot or leave in water for overnight or longer then u will see staining on white compared to black.. 

Interrior I always wanted to try black but second guessing now based on comments above. 

We bought a house with a strange black toilet.. it's horrible and I'll stop there... The toilet has made me second guess another black boat.. but on a boat at least it looks Soo good compared to a toilet! Just like cars Black looks great but shows everything.. double edge sword

Edited by The Hulk

I have a guy at my lake with a 2019 G23 with black hull.  It has huge rub scratches from loading it.  We have a sandy bottom and pretty shallow conditions.  I am in pain while thinking of the money spent to have huge white runs on the bottom.  He says, its black it happens.  

15 minutes ago, BigCreek said:

Black bottom boats, you make the rockin world go 'round. 

White or black hull, if you are beaching your boat, shame on you! 

If you are not using your boat to its "fullest enjoyment potential", shame on you! And yes, that does include (gasp) a tube. :Tease3: If you saw the bottom of my boat you would never be able to tell that I beach it. Of course mud is a lot less abusive than sand.

• Like 3

Agree with what has been said. I have around 600 hours in my 2014. No beaching for me, but I do have the scratches from the trailer. Only noticeable when I’m on a creeper waxing it. 

Once you go black......

2017 here,

i have buffed off the chalky white scuff marks from the bunks a few times , and (this goes for all boats) make sure you inspect your bunks for staples sticking up in the carpet. 

We are fairly OCD about the wipedowns and water spots are a non issue

• Like 3

I'm sticking with black hulls even though we trailer a couple times a week during the season. Any scuffing buffs out easily and hasn't bothered me yet.

I'm with Stevo on the wipedowns, and water spots have never been an issue with a black top-deck. It takes a little more attention than we gave our white hulled boats but it's maybe another 3-5 minutes an outing at max.

@Stevo and others are spot on with respect to wipe downs.  Both of my Malibu's have black hulls and running surfaces.  My VLX is nearly all black.  I don't think I would ever do that again, but it looks great.  The RLXI is not all black, but the running surface is.  I have no issues keeping them looking good all season.  Both live on hoists during the boating season unless we travel with one of them so the only scratches I get are from debris that gets on the lift bunks when they're submerged while we're out having fun.  I'm hoping to upgrade the VLX to a 23 LSV within a year or so and would do a black hull again without question.  

Edit:  If you're the type who isn't going to be somewhat OCD about the appearance of your boat, then black isn't for you.

Edited by Slayer

I'm pretty sure I remember someone posting on TMC that black isn't a color, it's a job. While I agree with that statement, it hasn't stopped me from having black on both Malibu's I've owned. My current boat also has a black hull. I definitely prefer the look of the black hull. I make sure to wet the bunks before pulling onto the trailer and it gets wiped down after every use. I've also buffed the hull near the front bunks.  It's pretty much a non-issue for me.

12 minutes ago, Kojak said:

I'm pretty sure I remember someone posting on TMC that black isn't a color, it's a job. While I agree with that statement, it hasn't stopped me from having black on both Malibu's I've owned. My current boat also has a black hull. I definitely prefer the look of the black hull. I make sure to wet the bunks before pulling onto the trailer and it gets wiped down after every use. I've also buffed the hull near the front bunks.  It's pretty much a non-issue for me.

Just wondering how you would load your boat with dry bunks?:Tease3:

1 hour ago, REHinH20 said:

Just wondering how you would load your boat with dry bunks?:Tease3:

The ramp that we mainly use is somewhat steep so the front bunks do not go all the way into the water.  I make sure that the driver knows to back it in far enough to wet them down and then move it to the final location that I want it in to load. It still gets some scratches near the front but not as bad as before when they were dry.  

• Like 2

There is lots of good input here.  For what its worth, I have an arsenal of different buffers as well as several shelves of different polishing compounds and wool and foam buffing pads and I'm not afraid to use them.  I pull ski-rope micro scuffs out of the boat deck with the buffers probably monthly; I keep the deck and hull sealed with Collinite; and I detail the interior of the boat close to weekly in season and keep it pretty much spotless.  

My buddy has a 2008 Mastercraft TT 197.  All black.

It has white streaks on the hull from nearly daily loading/unloading from April to October.

If you use the boat a LOT, it'll be noticeable.  If you get out 20 times a year, probably no biggie.

I’ve had black hulls on my last two boats. I got scuffs the first few times and after buffing it off, realized it was time to go deeper with the trailer. Since then, zero scuffs. 

My boat spends most of its time on a lift, so probably not the best reference but I still load it approx 20 times a year. 

The newer bigger boats you cant physically float on and off there is just no way to get the bow up to the roller. I am on my second season with a black hull, yes it does have bunk scratches but you only see them when you look under there. If you are someone always bumming into docks or boards I wouldn't do it, black can look so bad. My biggest reason for liking black so much is because of how well it holds up to water lines and stains.