Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Storing A BU Without A Garage

Donnieb

It's been dipping below freezing the past week - getting in the 20's. It's been getting in the high 40's and 50's though during the days.

I took the boat out today, it's been under covers for the last week 1/2.

The Drywave has been doing a great job.

The Bu started right up today, as usual. I didn't have any Dri-Z-Air tablets in the boat, and I usually use two units in the boat. All the carpet was dry, no musty odor - all went well. I have the unit set on a timer from 8pm to 8am.

I highly recommend the unit.

I just put one in my boat last night based on your recomendation, and it seems to be doing a great job. Even though its in the garage, I don't want my baby gettin to cold!

Years past we would put the factory cover on with a PVC support system to keep water from pooling. We would follow that up with an RV cover, we would then put a giant grey nylon tarp over everything. This kept both the sun and rain off of the boat. Kept the boat very dry, and clean from all of the dust and dirt blowing around...Now she gets a better home!

a Garage!

My vote is for shrink wrap. Be careful if you use a tarp over your canvas cover. The tarp may help keep water out but it doesn't let the cover breathe. If you use a tarp, be sure to pull it back on warm days. You can also use a product called DampRid. They sell it at Home Depot and other hardware stores usually in the paint department. They sell your typical tub type desiccant but the one I prefer is the one they sell to hang in your closet. It's self contained so you can tow your boat without having to worry about it spilling. They are sold individually or in packs of 3 (approximately $9.00). Hang one on your steering wheel and the other two in your rear locker.

Good luck!

...I have 2 "silver" (heavy duty) tarps still in the original packages that I got while I had no garage for my old Bu. PM me if anyone is interested. They (each) are large enough to go over a 21 footer with a Titan folded. My setup was a couple of driz airs, a canvas cover, over a pvc anti pooling device, with a silver tarp over it all with bungees holding it on. It worked great. Just remember to change the driz airs every few weeks... I will dig em out and see what size they are if anyone is interested...

(25 X 15 I think)

Patrick

Donnie

Where do you store your Bayliner? It that area too small for a potentil bu?

Hi NHbufan. I store it on a gravel patch off our driveway. So I'll need to store the BU there too if/when I get one.

Thanks!

Don

• 2 weeks later...

Home Depot car port after the pad got poured next to the Garage, just in time for the fall. Seems to be keeping things nice and dry given the rain and wind we've been having up here this year. Also have 2 driz air and the west marine version of a dry wave. Thanks to this post I checked the driz airs last night, 3/4 full! Better empty more frequently! Lazy.gif