Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Storing A BU Without A Garage

Donnieb

How do people who don't have a big enough garage store their BU for the winter? Do they rent covered storage? Do they keep their BU in their driveway or backyard with the towing cover on it? Do they buy a canvas carport from Costco and put the boat in that?

I read posts about winterizing the boat and about putting dehumidifiers in the boat, taking the seat cushions out of the boat, etc., etc., etc., and I think I'm covered there. But my question is really more about whether people who don't have a big enough garage actually let the boat sit outside during the winter.

I live in the Northwest so the weather is more mild than in the Midwest or Northeast -- we get some snow (4 inches once or twice a year), lots of rain, and some non-snow freezing days. I also live on a lot with a lot of trees (and pine needles). So should I be concerned about keeping a new BU outside for the winter? Or should I be finding/renting indoor storage?

Thanks.

DonnieB

I have kept mine with the cover on under a Costco shelter. It works well to keep the sun, rain, and leaves/needles off of the boat. I winterize the boat and then keep a Dry Wave inside the boat to keep it from growing nasty stuff during the wet season we have here in the NW.

I'm currently building a house with a storage garage for the boat, so this will be the last season outdoors for the boat. This is good because the Costco shelter has about had it. They seem to be good for about 3 or 4 years.

I live in about the best place to keep a boat outdoors - CA Bay Area. I use two covers. I collapse the tower, then put a stretchable cover over the boat. Basically a generic cover my dealer gave me until my trailerable cover showed up. It's made of Sunbrella.

I then have a box RV cover that I put over that. I tie the bottom of the RV cover so it's secure. It's worked well.

I put a brace in the bow to make sure rain doesn't puddle over the bow. The tower makes sure nothing puddles in the back of the boat.

I'd be worried about the snow / extended rain in your area. A supported cover like the Costco one would be best.

I used to keep mine outside during our strong Central Oregon winters with just the factory "towing" cover on it, along with the little poles to keep too much water from puddling up on the cover. After a heavy snow melted or a heavy rain I would still have to bail the cover with the car wash bucket, but it wasn't too bad & I don't feel that it hurt the boat at all, with the obvious exception of cover wear & tear.

What we do is let the boat dry out really well. Then we're going to put the towing cover on the boat. We collapse the tower with the cover on, and have a 1x6 that we lay across the windshield, to support the tower from not laying on the cover. Then take one of those plastic tarps and lay it over the tower and boat. This will keep all water out. And the tower being up a bit keeps a good angle for the water to drain off, while the towing cover also helps keep water from puddling. you can even run a strap from the tower to the back of the boat to keep water from puddling. This keeps the boat dry all winter. We use bungee cords to fasten the ends and sides of the plastic tarp to the trailer and keep it tight.

The tarp i'm speaking of is the type that you put under tents or use as canopy's for camping. They won't let any water in, or out, which is why you want to make sure your boat is extra dry before you put it on.

I wouldn't let my boat sit outside all winter (especially if it were new). During the summer we let it sit out just because we were using all the time and SUPER lazy about not taking the tower off. My grandparents are snowbirds so they spend all winter in Palm Desert which allows us to store our boat in their garage from October-May Biggrin.gif That way both my parents can park in our garage when its cold out.

1. Find a friend, relative, or neighbor who doesn't use their garage or has an open space for the boat. Offer to clean up/out that unused space, offer them a little bit of $$$ or promise to take them out on the boat a few times during the summer

2. Pay for a storage unit thats clean and dry

3. Shrink wrap the boat then stick it under a costco (or something like it) cover.

4. Make it fit in your garage :)

What we do is let the boat dry out really well. Then we're going to put the towing cover on the boat. We collapse the tower with the cover on, and have a 1x6 that we lay across the windshield, to support the tower from not laying on the cover. Then take one of those plastic tarps and lay it over the tower and boat. This will keep all water out. And the tower being up a bit keeps a good angle for the water to drain off, while the towing cover also helps keep water from puddling. you can even run a strap from the tower to the back of the boat to keep water from puddling. This keeps the boat dry all winter. We use bungee cords to fasten the ends and sides of the plastic tarp to the trailer and keep it tight.

The tarp i'm speaking of is the type that you put under tents or use as canopy's for camping. They won't let any water in, or out, which is why you want to make sure your boat is extra dry before you put it on.

If you live in an area that's high in humidity, you're going to get condensation inside that will create mold.

If you live in an area that's high in humidity, you're going to get condensation inside that will create mold.

I'm assuming that it's putting the boat away for the winter, in which case humidity is not a factor. If it's warm enough to be humid, you shouldn't be putting your boat away! Biggrin.gif Also, we buy those buckets that absorb water in the air, and they keep the boat mildew free. We just replace it a few times throughout the winter.

Usually we put the boat away for the winter, and then when it get's even close to warm enough for humidity to be a problem, it goes on the lift on the lake. Next year we may actually winterize it on the lift, but we'll see about that.

Edited by GoldschlagerVT

My $80.00 a month indoor storage is worth every penny. Biggrin.gif But, back in the early 90's when I had my first Bu, in my (pre-DINK years), I would trade a buddy two tuneups on his cars (parts included) for four months of winter storage in his shop. A good deal for both of us I suppose.

Edited by LS-One

A friend is a property manager. He oversees many condo and apartment buildings and got me into one of his condo's secure underground parking units for only $25/mo. Not heated, but out of the elements and with a couple silica cups it stays pretty dry under the cover. I have to pay for it all year but at that price its the biggest bargain in town. The storage companies want over $200/mo.

Property management companies are always looking for a buck out of an empty space.

I chose to rent indoor storage. It runs me 195 a month, but its worth it to me. I live up in the Los Gatos Mountains and with all the rain, leaves, insects, dirt, etc that comes with living up there, my boat would take a beating.

You could ask your dealer to save you a shipping cover! I always keep the one that came on my boat for the rainy season, like spring and fall, since we got the new house I had an 8 x 10 garage door into basement, so she's gonna be at home this winter! Clap.gif

I live in the Northeast and I keep my boat in a "Cover-it" garage. Probably three times as expensive as a Costco cover but worth it. Mine is going on year number 5 and it has held up great...knock on wood. Lots of snow, lots of wind, and unfortunately lots of condensation. Does the Dry Wave work well obski?!?!?!?!

I chose to rent indoor storage. It runs me 195 a month, but its worth it to me. I live up in the Los Gatos Mountains and with all the rain, leaves, insects, dirt, etc that comes with living up there, my boat would take a beating.

This is what I would do also. While not always cheap, you want to protect your investment.

Too cheap to pay $200+/month for indoor storage so I have the boat shrink wrapped with a 2x4" support frame so snow will not stay on top, and park it next to my house. Has worked great for 2 years.

I have a wood frame that I built to keep the cover off the boat and then a big tarp that I tie down onto the trailer. This protects my mooring cover and also protects the boat. In addition some air can travel through the cover to keep it from getting moldy. Then we put it next to the house.

We have been storing boats in this fashion for 30+ years without any problems.

I live in the Northeast and I keep my boat in a "Cover-it" garage. Probably three times as expensive as a Costco cover but worth it. Mine is going on year number 5 and it has held up great...knock on wood. Lots of snow, lots of wind, and unfortunately lots of condensation. Does the Dry Wave work well obski?!?!?!?!

Same here, but going on year 8 with boats in the car tent. My old boat (1970 Winner) stays out doors now with its canvas cover and an old pool liner over it loosely but tied. Pool liner makes a great cover, just cut it into the shape of a boat cover.

Condensation has not been a real problem for me. I use the shipping cover loosely, make sure the tent can breath, and have a rubber floor.

I stored my 88 Sunsetter in an outside cartport, using a Malibu shipping cover loosely over my Sunbrella cover and a small heater. This worked OK, but I was always worried about condensation.

When I got the 98 VLX, I rented a spot in insulated and enclosed storage. I pay $95/month, but its worth it to protect the boat (especially in the winter).

Edited by Mechmaster

I looked into the Cover-It garages, but decided that I could replace the Costco product about 3 times before it would equal the price. I have a friend who has one for his RV and it has held up great.

I have found the Dry Wave to work well. I used to have a ritual of cleaning out all of the mold growing on the vinyl of my old I/O years ago every spring. Nasty. I bought the Dry Wave when I bought my first 'Bu and have not had any issues with mold/mildew after our wet winters come spring. I also leave some of the pellets in the boat.

I have kept mine with the cover on under a Costco shelter. It works well to keep the sun, rain, and leaves/needles off of the boat. I winterize the boat and then keep a Dry Wave inside the boat to keep it from growing nasty stuff during the wet season we have here in the NW.

I'm currently building a house with a storage garage for the boat, so this will be the last season outdoors for the boat. This is good because the Costco shelter has about had it. They seem to be good for about 3 or 4 years.

OB - which Dry Wave do you use? The bigger square one, or the tube?

Let me know, I'm going to buy one today.

Thanks!

I just bought the square one from Overton's.

With TheCrew's 10% discount it was cheaper to buy it from them, than direct from DryWave - even after shipping.

Thanks OB.

• 1 month later...

It's been dipping below freezing the past week - getting in the 20's. It's been getting in the high 40's and 50's though during the days.

I took the boat out today, it's been under covers for the last week 1/2.

The Drywave has been doing a great job.

The Bu started right up today, as usual. I didn't have any Dri-Z-Air tablets in the boat, and I usually use two units in the boat. All the carpet was dry, no musty odor - all went well. I have the unit set on a timer from 8pm to 8am.

I highly recommend the unit.

I just bought the square one from Overton's.

With TheCrew's 10% discount it was cheaper to buy it from them, than direct from DryWave - even after shipping.

Thanks OB.

Thanks everyone for your posts! I appreciate it.

Chathamsolutions -- what is "TheCrew's" 10% discount?

Thanks.

Donnieb