Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need suggestion for recovering my 21Xti onto its trailer

kwold

So with my old Glastron, I used to soak my trailers bunks then pull the trailer up a bit so the leading bunks where a bit out of the water. Then I could easily motor the Glastron up onto the trailer. No problem. Remeber the Glastron is an IO boat.

So with this inboard setup I am having difficulties performing a decent trailer recovery. The boat tends to go a bit sideways on the trailer on me. This forces me to winch the boat in. Sometimes I have to dip the trailer back in to get the boat to seat correctly on the trailer.

I must be doing something wrong because I feel like a moron everytime I go to take my boat out of the water.

Any feedback (other than confirming Im a moron) would be much appreciated!

Try putting the trailer in a bit shallower. If the trailer is set up correctly for the boat, it will guide itself on with no problems. If it seems too shallow & that you need more power than seems appropriate, you can try some Liquid Rollers or silicone spray on the bunks. She'll slide right on with that stuff, just don't unhook the bow strap when launching until you've got the boat in the water or you might lose the boat on the ramp.

Yeah, you could be putting the trailer in too deep or the ramp may be really steep. Either way makes it difficult to get it all the way on and straight. If it does go on crooked, just have a couple of guys rock the boat side to side after you pull it out. It should slide into place.

I back my trailer in so the top of the fenders are right at the water line. This is the perfect depth for me to drive the boat on the trailer. Of course the depth will vary a bit depending on how steep the ramp is. Practice a few times at different depths and gauge how deep your trailer using the fenders.

I have tried silicone spray on my bunks too, but nothing compares to using pledge. This stuff is so slipery. If you use pledge on your bunks, your boat will fall off the trailer if the bow is not secured. I mainly use it because our boat launch is not very steep. It allows me to get the boat off the trailer without hammering it into reverse every time.

I have a very shallow ramp which is at an angle sideways. It is almost impossible to get the boat to sit correctly on this ramp. We try over and over, and it takes some pushing of the back of the boat for it not to sit at an angle. We've tried putting the trailer in too deep, too shallow, everything, it's the angle sideways that kills it. Then I go a few blocks away to another ramp that is steep and straight, and the boat loads perfectly.

For the areas where the ramp isn't level from side to side, it just takes work to get the boat on right.

Yep, all of the too deep, steep ramp advice is dead on. My usual ramp is not steep and I get the boat on straight 95% of the time on the first try. The alternate ramp is alot steeper and it usually takes two or three tries before the boat is on straight. I hate using that ramp because I feel like such a wally!!

i had the same problem the first few times with my boat. i usually back the trailer in to where the fenders are a little more than halfway in. i found that if you go a little faster then you would with your I/O then you can keep the boat staright and it will slide right on the trailer. if you go to slow then you cant really steer and it willl pull to the side.

Thanks for all the replies.

I have a feeling I was going to slow, lost my ability to steer and the current moved the boat sideways.

Next time will try to get the trailer sunk just to the top of the fenders and keep the speed up a bit to slide onto the trailer.

Thanks for all the replies.

I have a feeling I was going to slow, lost my ability to steer and the current moved the boat sideways.

Next time will try to get the trailer sunk just to the top of the fenders and keep the speed up a bit to slide onto the trailer.

If you just bump it in & out of gear sort of in a quick rhythm, you'll find that you don't have to go so fast & will still retain steering.

Sometimes we use two stage trailering. First trailer part way in to allow to get hull lined up on the bunks properly. Once located it can't really move sideays. Then wife backs trailer in about 1m more and small amount of boat throttle to get it full on.

I'd think with a lighter boat it would be easier, but with the 23LSV no matter what I do I have to hand crank it up higher than she'll want to go. And I'm too scared to let the bunks guide the boat under the amount of throttle I'd have to use to get it to the locking point.

9.9 times out of 10 I'm the one driving the Bu onto the trailer. I'll slow it down to a crawl - literally. Once my nose has passed the bunks I walk up over the nose and step onto the trailer bunks - and then I walk it up the rest of the way. Hand crank it the 1-2 feet needed.

Slow, yes, but I make sure it's on right. I don't bend props and don't worry about steering.

Seriously, you guys should try the pledge/silicone spray/Liquid Rollers-on-the-bunks-trick. We have always driven our boats on & powered them up. Before using this stuff it took a lot of power to get it all the way on & that's not only hard on the bunks, it's hard on the boat as well. But the first time after using it I dang near put the boat in the back of the truck, I was used to a certain amount of power needed & it just wasn't required after using that stuff. It slides on soooooooo easy now, very little power required. Because the trailer can be so shallow, centering is almost never an issue, it's right just about every time (of course, our trailer is really right for the boat, YMMV on that part). Just don't unhook that bow strap when you're dropping the boat in before you get to the water or you'll put the boat on the ramp - it makes them that slippery.

Seriously, you guys should try the pledge/silicone spray/Liquid Rollers-on-the-bunks-trick. We have always driven our boats on & powered them up. Before using this stuff it took a lot of power to get it all the way on & that's not only hard on the bunks, it's hard on the boat as well. But the first time after using it I dang near put the boat in the back of the truck, I was used to a certain amount of power needed & it just wasn't required after using that stuff. It slides on soooooooo easy now, very little power required. Because the trailer can be so shallow, centering is almost never an issue, it's right just about every time (of course, our trailer is really right for the boat, YMMV on that part). Just don't unhook that bow strap when you're dropping the boat in before you get to the water or you'll put the boat on the ramp - it makes them that slippery.

This is dead on! The trailer must be out of the water somewhat for the bunks to guide you on the best. You do need a certain amount of power to drive onto a trailer like this and pledge or liqiud rollers will help slide it on way better.

I too almost put my boat into the back of my truck the first time I used pledge, and I was barely at idle. Pledge does a pretty neat thing when you spray it on to the bunks. My bunks were wet but not dripping when I sprayed it on. As soon as the pledge hit the wet bunks, water just started pouring off of the bunks, weird Crazy.gif

As a side benefit, I really think that it will help get more longevity out of the bunk carpeting.

That sounds just crazy enough to work! LOL. I think I have a can of pledge somewhere around the house. Also will take it easy on the throttle next time I recover with the Aid of pledge. I don't think my Tahoe would look too good with a boat inbedded into the back of it.