Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tesla Cybertruck

UWSkier

5 minutes ago, bamaboy said:

Pre ordered the tri motor today.  

I love the design.  Straight outta total recall baby!

I wonder how much money Elon will make off pre-orders?

Edited by Eagleboy99
Spelling
Just now, Pnwrider said:

I’m guessing they’re gonna end up way over price target and look nothing like the release vehicle. But the specs on paper look respectable so I put a deposit on one too.

sucker!  Elon is going to steal your 6 dollars in interest you could have made over the next 3 years!

I actually really like this, it's different. Only thing holding me bak is the rage with towing as most longer trips that we use our truck for is towing and we have some intense mountains to go over. Would be a better daily driver that is comfortable and can tow. Price tag is very comparable to a loaded HD truck, the question will be how well does it handle the stated max 14k towing, Any half ton can tow 14k around town but take it up a mountain and see how it does. I am still a believer in a 1 ton truck even though the half tons are catching up in ratings.

35 minutes ago, Cole2001 said:

I actually really like this, it's different. Only thing holding me bak is the rage with towing as most longer trips that we use our truck for is towing and we have some intense mountains to go over. Would be a better daily driver that is comfortable and can tow. Price tag is very comparable to a loaded HD truck, the question will be how well does it handle the stated max 14k towing, Any half ton can tow 14k around town but take it up a mountain and see how it does. I am still a believer in a 1 ton truck even though the half tons are catching up in ratings.

Assuming that the batteries or traction motors don't overheat, expect the same performance but shorter range in mountains.  Also expect to get some energy back on the down slope through regenerative braking.

With most of the mass in batteries and traction motors at the bottom of the chassis, I would expect really good handling when towing due to great torque and low CG.  I'm about to jump in line as well if I can get past the metal finish.  Maybe they just don't bother painting the development models.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a29890843/full-electric-pickup-trucks/

There are others coming as well.  

I like to see this space becoming competitively electrified.  Soon we will be hearing about large electric SUVs from the current manufacturers.  

Rivian has the https://rivian.com/r1s/  I will check this out once it becomes available.

9 hours ago, justgary said:

I'm about to jump in line as well if I can get past the metal finish.  Maybe they just don't bother painting the development models.

I read an article that said the metal would be standard and wraps would be an option in a few different colors (From the factory). 

I'd say at 500 miles, range anxiety with no payload isn't much of a factor.  Even on a long trip that's enough range to take a break at a charging station.  What IS a factor is when you are towing; that range likely goes to half or less.  That becomes a BIG problem because even if there are easily available charging stations, most are pretty difficult to access with a trailer attached.  You would also be charging/stopping way more frequently than you would in a gasoline vehicle and for a much longer time.  That puts this out of contention for me, as I tow a long trip 1-2 times a year, in places where charging isn't really an option currently and long stops aren't either.  

Price of the truck is spot-on.  The look...too radical.  As for the stainless body, I'm fine with that and stainless can be painted (as I've seen on a couple local Delorean DMC-12's).