Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hammerhead vs Monsoon for an 07 Rlxi?

Rjay

JJack,

As said above, the 03-06 RLXi is pushed along quite well by the Monsoon. Early reports on the 07 RLXi / Monsoon seem to be that it's similar in most cases (not high altitude) to the 03-06's performance. If that's the case, I gotta say the Monsoon is a perfect match for what you're into. I strongly considered ordering my 05 RLXi with the HH but ended up test driving a few with the Monsoon and chose that route. Not for one moment have I wished I had gone the HH route with regarding the boat's performance. I do wish I had the lumpy cam sound of the HH :)

Take one for a test spin...I believe you'll be pleasantly surprised by how well the RLXi performs with the Monsoon.

Eddy hit it on the head here. If you want to course ski, you don't need the HH. Also, if you have a line on some private lakes that have tournament skiers as members, you should strongly consider the Monsoon since that is what the tournament guys will see at tournaments. Otherwise, with the HH, the pull might be significantly different such that some folks may not want to ski behind it.

Don't let the practice of law interfer with you skiing any longer. Just do like I do, schedule all your trials from November to March.

Hey, thanks. That sounds like solid advice. I used to only schedule t-th classes from 8 to 11 am and take a m, t, wed, night class. And I skiied the rest of the time. Its amazing what how smart you are before you go to law school and how much common sense they beat out of you.

Yep. Too much brain clutter. It's been 16 years and I still can't see the forrest for the trees.

...I was used to driving my brothers Moomba Boomerang and the Monsoon in a RLX was not even in the ball park for power and quickness and top end...
So your contention is that a Moomba Boomerang exceeds the Monsoon equipped Rlx in terms of power, quickness, and top end? Crazy.gif I occasionally ski behind one and I could not disagree more. It is one of my least favorite boats to ski behind. I kept telling the driver..."quicker on the up"...turns out he was burying the throttle already and it couldn't quickly pop my huge 160 lb body out of the water. Lame.gif
...I was used to driving my brothers Moomba Boomerang and the Monsoon in a RLX was not even in the ball park for power and quickness and top end...
So your contention is that a Moomba Boomerang exceeds the Monsoon equipped Rlx in terms of power, quickness, and top end? Crazy.gif I occasionally ski behind one and I could not disagree more. It is one of my least favorite boats to ski behind. I kept telling the driver..."quicker on the up"...turns out he was burying the throttle already and it couldn't quickly pop my huge 160 lb body out of the water. Lame.gif

Actaully it is faster and quiker than my RLXI with the HH even. We have tested them side by side with simular loads. He has the 335HP Indmar in it. That is a lot of power for a very small boat. Keep in mind I am only talking about straight line driving. There is no comparisons on handeling, tracking, fit and finish and wake quality. I love the RLXI but for my taste I feel it is best equiped with the HH.

Actually it is faster and quicker than my RLXI with the HH even...
Hmmm, interesting. Must be a prop issue? Dontknow.gif I guess it kinda makes sense though. My little Sporty is a rocket sled in no small part because it's so small and light. Biggrin.gif

HH- sounds like a nice addition but not needed for any reason.

They are ski boats, not drag boats- go by a COLE and build it or buy a scarab and pack 12 in it.

I love the RLXI but for my taste I feel it is best equiped with the HH.

These are 2 perfect examples of why people need to qualify their recommendations by saying that "this is what works for me" or "this is what I prefer". Plenty of people think that the Monsoon is more than enough engine & don't "get" why people would pay extra for the HH. There are also plenty of people that love the HH & can't understand why you wouldn't want one. Just remember that when you make a recommendation, whatever works for you may not for the next guy. JM2C

HH- sounds like a nice addition but not needed for any reason.

They are ski boats, not drag boats- go by a COLE and build it or buy a scarab and pack 12 in it.

I love the RLXI but for my taste I feel it is best equiped with the HH.

These are 2 perfect examples of why people need to qualify their recommendations by saying that "this is what works for me" or "this is what I prefer". Plenty of people think that the Monsoon is more than enough engine & don't "get" why people would pay extra for the HH. There are also plenty of people that love the HH & can't understand why you wouldn't want one. Just remember that when you make a recommendation, whatever works for you may not for the next guy. JM2C

Very wise words indeed. The discussion has really helped me make a decision-- Yahoo.gif

I would have thought a Boomerang might have been quicker than a Sporty.

I would have thought a Boomerang might have been quicker than a Sporty.
Not the Boomerang that I have experience with. Why would you think the Moomba would be quicker?