Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hammerhead vs Monsoon for an 07 Rlxi?

Rjay

I am close to making an order decision on an 07 Rlxi, and am curious on opinions regarding the engine options, pros and cons, etc. The Hammerhead is spendy, and wondering whether people think it is worth it, and for what applications. I understand that the Monsoon will have catalysts for 07, while the Hammerhead will not.

Hammerhead for the win!! Yahoo.gif

But really I was behind a rlxi with a monsoon, I was wakeboarding and it would jump up to plane in no time at all, even with fatsacs.

Don't know if anyone on the board has experienced the 07 RLXi with HH just yet. The 03-06 RLXi was great with the Monsoon unless you really needed that extra couple mph on top end for fast barefooting.

What are you skiing behind today? What's your skill level?

As Edwin stated... unless you're a barefooter or REALLY don't want the cat system I'd go for the Monsoon.

I'm betting someone will even reply stating that you should move down to the LCR given this is the first year for the cat.

Mike

Don't know if anyone on the board has experienced the 07 RLXi with HH just yet. The 03-06 RLXi was great with the Monsoon unless you really needed that extra couple mph on top end for fast barefooting.

I am an agressive recreational slalom skier, usually ski 15-22 off, 34-36 mph. I have an 04 Rlxi with the hammerhead 380, but for various reasons (salt water package being one of them), feel the need to move to the 07. The hole shot on my 04 is good but could be stronger, and I like (but don't really need) 50 mph on the top end.

I am an agressive recreational slalom skier, usually ski 15-22 off, 34-36 mph. I have an 04 Rlxi with the hammerhead 380, but for various reasons (salt water package being one of them), feel the need to move to the 07. The hole shot on my 04 is good but could be stronger, and I like (but don't really need) 50 mph on the top end.

If you don't want to spend the money, then don't drive a boat with the HH. My last boat was an '04 with the 380hp HH & my current boat is an '06 with the newer Stroker motor. There is no comparison. If you drive it, you'll want it. An RLXI with that motor would be a freakin' riot. Rockon.gif

Oh I want to spend the money! Just need to seek some rationalization ---so you are saying the HH 400 is alot stronger than the HH 380 that I have in my 04'? Its hard to tell sometimes whether they (indmar, malibu) are just throwing around stats or if there is a real difference in on-water performance. thanks to all for the advice.

Oh I want to spend the money! Just need to seek some rationalization ---so you are saying the HH 400 is alot stronger than the HH 380 that I have in my 04'? Its hard to tell sometimes whether they (indmar, malibu) are just throwing around stats or if there is a real difference in on-water performance. thanks to all for the advice.

Yes, & it's stronger on the bottom end where most of us need it. The 380hp had mid range to burn & would really take off once the boat was on plane, but this motor pulls strong from the moment you give it power all the way up to WOT.

Yes, & it's stronger on the bottom end where most of us need it. The 380hp had mid range to burn & would really take off once the boat was on plane, but this motor pulls strong from the moment you give it power all the way up to WOT.

I am looking at rlxi's. what's the weight and price difference between monsoon and hammerhead 383? Need to weigh price vs. hp/torque to weight ratio.

Thanks in advance,

Jack

difference between the two isn't even worth mentioning....what do you want to do with the boat jjack? skiing at what level? at what altitude?

That's a good question. Personal tournament best 20 lbs and 10 years ago in college tourneys: 3@32off; trick 1130 points, one pass (I had a limited toe-run, but college was only one pass); jump 134 feet, 5 foot ramp @ 32 mph. I was also rated as a driver for all but championship tourneys. Then, I traded skiing for a law degree and havn't skiied in ten years. But now, I want back in. I used to love our 1992 ski brendella, but now I want something really nice. I'd also like to try boarding on occassion, although I used to speak of boarders in the same breath as jetskiers. I'm in Texas, also, so altitude is not an issue. I have a line or two on some private lakes around here, and, more than anything, I just want to be back on the water and around good skiers with a good boat.

JJack,

As said above, the 03-06 RLXi is pushed along quite well by the Monsoon. Early reports on the 07 RLXi / Monsoon seem to be that it's similar in most cases (not high altitude) to the 03-06's performance. If that's the case, I gotta say the Monsoon is a perfect match for what you're into. I strongly considered ordering my 05 RLXi with the HH but ended up test driving a few with the Monsoon and chose that route. Not for one moment have I wished I had gone the HH route with regarding the boat's performance. I do wish I had the lumpy cam sound of the HH :)

Take one for a test spin...I believe you'll be pleasantly surprised by how well the RLXi performs with the Monsoon.

JJack,

As said above, the 03-06 RLXi is pushed along quite well by the Monsoon. Early reports on the 07 RLXi / Monsoon seem to be that it's similar in most cases (not high altitude) to the 03-06's performance. If that's the case, I gotta say the Monsoon is a perfect match for what you're into. I strongly considered ordering my 05 RLXi with the HH but ended up test driving a few with the Monsoon and chose that route. Not for one moment have I wished I had gone the HH route with regarding the boat's performance. I do wish I had the lumpy cam sound of the HH :)

Take one for a test spin...I believe you'll be pleasantly surprised by how well the RLXi performs with the Monsoon.

Plus1.gif

JJack,

Eddy hit it on the head here. If you want to course ski, you don't need the HH. Also, if you have a line on some private lakes that have tournament skiers as members, you should strongly consider the Monsoon since that is what the tournament guys will see at tournaments. Otherwise, with the HH, the pull might be significantly different such that some folks may not want to ski behind it.

Don't let the practice of law interfer with you skiing any longer. Just do like I do, schedule all your trials from November to March.

JJack,

Eddy hit it on the head here. If you want to course ski, you don't need the HH. Also, if you have a line on some private lakes that have tournament skiers as members, you should strongly consider the Monsoon since that is what the tournament guys will see at tournaments. Otherwise, with the HH, the pull might be significantly different such that some folks may not want to ski behind it.

Don't let the practice of law interfer with you skiing any longer. Just do like I do, schedule all your trials from November to March.

Hey, thanks. That sounds like solid advice. I used to only schedule t-th classes from 8 to 11 am and take a m, t, wed, night class. And I skiied the rest of the time. Its amazing what how smart you are before you go to law school and how much common sense they beat out of you.

Lets put it this way, a few weeks ago I had 12 grown adults in my RLXI and was amazed when I hit the throttle, it was as strong as if I were by myself. This is not an exaggeration (well maybe a small amount but not much). The HH really shows its power when it is under full load and is extreemly smooth and predictable at pulling up skiers. My wife pulls me and does a perfect job. I never feel like there is too much power becuase it is so predictable. I reccommend the HH.

lets put it this way. 12 people in the boat while skiing- not

12 people in the boat- tracks different, wake different

12- people- cost way to much to haul them around

HH- how much more to purchase

HH- how much more to pay when making passes on the course

Is it needed; if that great why not in all of the lxi/ promo etc.

HH- sounds like a nice addition but not needed for any reason.

They are ski boats, not drag boats- go by a COLE and build it or buy a scarab and pack 12 in it.

12 people- how many pounds This does not seem to be anywhere close to what the cappacity calls for nor safe for that matter.

lets put it this way. 12 people in the boat while skiing- not

12 people in the boat- tracks different, wake different

12- people- cost way to much to haul them around

HH- how much more to purchase

HH- how much more to pay when making passes on the course

Is it needed; if that great why not in all of the lxi/ promo etc.

HH- sounds like a nice addition but not needed for any reason.

They are ski boats, not drag boats- go by a COLE and build it or buy a scarab and pack 12 in it.

12 people- how many pounds This does not seem to be anywhere close to what the cappacity calls for nor safe for that matter.

Did I forget to mention it was me and 11 babes? Belive it or not, the boat is used for more than just skiing. And have you ever tried to ski behind a scarab? I can't belive that would be too much fun.

But on a serious note, "how much more to pay when making passes"? The fuel consumption of the HH is excelent. I would put it up against a harder working Monsoon anyday. I first test drove a Monsoon and was not at all impressed by the power of the boat. I was used to driving my brothers Moomba Boomerang and the Monsoon in a RLX was not even in the ball park for power and quickness and top end. Now is it worth the extra $, that is your call, but for me, worth every penny.