Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

EPA and offroad diesel parts

1HELLUVALIFE

13 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

Taking them out was not hard.

No but my point was why should only the ones in the US have them installed. I think it should be a global effort, if your going to do it.  

4 hours ago, cowwboy said:

I work in the environmental monitoring industry. You have no idea how true that statement is. The EPA is no longer about environmental responsibility but rather a political tool filled with corruption and extreme bias. 
Just a quick read of the CSAPR rule will have you shaking your head.  
Just like Granddaddy said it 's a huge money maker for the manufacturers. 
The environmental industry has huge dollar signs tied to it. One of our coal plants was forced by the EPA to put in scrubbers at the cost of $500M even though the state and OG&E had a plan to meet the requirements with less cost effective means (low NOx burners, boiler design upgrades, etc.). But the EPA mandated that we go to scrubbers at a much higher cost. So all the huge corporations like GE and Siemens make billions off of the required changes.

Same thing in the auto industry. Hell look at all of the money spent on failed CP4 pumps.

Or how many times someone slips and puts DEF in their fuel tank. Instant 8k for the dealer. 

This has nothing to do with the environment but 100% to do with $$$$. 

Off topic a bit, but I am curious to know what technology may be utilized to remove SO2 from a coal fired power plant's flue gas streams in a more cost effective manner than FGD (Scrubber) systems? 

28 minutes ago, Fffrank said:

I'm out.  You scientists go back to explaining to each other about climate change and how diesel smoke is good for the environment.

It's simple really.  Black smoke makes shadows.  Shadows block light.  Less light=less warming.  Coal rolling for everyone!  Let the skies look like the Birmingham England skies in Peaky Blinders!  :)

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, Murphys said:

Off topic a bit, but I am curious to know what technology may be utilized to remove SO2 from a coal fired power plant's flue gas streams in a more cost effective manner than FGD (Scrubber) systems? 

Sub-bituminous Wyoming coal that we run doesn't have as high of a sulfur as the others. 
Why we were forced to scrub and convert to gas was based upon fugitive dust. To be honest I forgot which of the latest rules it fell under.

I work in gas plants so I try my best to forget about the headaches at coal plants.  The complexity and problematic mercury monitoring systems is unreal. 
But honestly seeing how much time we spend on tuning and constant monitoring of our SCR's in the plants I'm shocked they work in our trucks after a year of service. 

23 hours ago, Fffrank said:

But I'm an open minded guy and I'm perfectly willing to listen to explanations on how I'm wrong.  Let me have it.

... and then...

I'm out.  You scientists go back to explaining to each other about climate change and how diesel smoke is good for the environment.

I'm pretty sure that nobody here said that diesel smoke is good for the environment.  And yes, certain emissions have caused some problems.

I'm just sick of the global warming climate change people telling me: 1) humans are the cause of it; and 2) 99% of scientists agree that humans are the cause of it.  At one time, 100% of scientists agreed that the Earth was the center of the universe.  Galileo Galilei was the only one who knew the truth.  How did that work out for him?

Field trip:  Go to Yosemite National Park and look at the granite walls on both sides of the valley.  Ask *anyone* there how they formed.

Pop quiz:  If a glacier formed Yosemite valley, where is that glacier now?

Extra credit:  Did humans cause it to melt?

Volcanic activity creates *much* more greenhouse gas and particulate matter than all human activity combined each year.  99% of scientists apparently don't ever go outdoors and look around at things.  Even when they fly a jumbo jet to their next "climate change" conference.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Fffrank said:

Not a scientists and just my 2 cents...

1. Rolling Coal is stupid... my 2 cents
  2. A properly tuned (modified) diesel does not roll coal
  3. I do believe that human intervention has an impact.. very small one
  4. One volcano explosion would result in more damage to the environment than all human interventions combined
    1. Filling the sky with ash blocks the sun cooling the earth is the biggest effect
  5. Climate change is real, and dates back all the way to when earth was created.
    1. Statistic data provided by scientist from ice cores does show an increase in carbon monoxide and methane.
      1. This is preached to why climate change is caused by man. But other variables are left out even the scientist use them in their modeling.
      2. What is the earth's orbit around the sun (this changes all the time due to gravitational pull)
      3. What is the earth's axis during these climate change.
    2. Let's not forget the little ice age from 1300 - 1870
    3. Let's not forget the big change that extinct the dinosaurs
    4. Where did metropolis of Egypt go?

Climate change is always happening and takes 1000 of years to show indications and cycle

Hate to say it, but when mother nature is done with us.. we gone.. no matter what we do (we could possible be increasing that time but that will come)

Humans are not the only factors either.

Edited by kerpluxal
36 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

Not a scientists and just my 2 cents...

1. Rolling Coal is stupid... my 2 cents
  2. A properly tuned (modified) diesel does not roll coal
  3. I do believe that human intervention has an impact.. very small one
  4. One volcano explosion would result in more damage to the environment than all human interventions combined
    1. Filling the sky with ash blocks the sun cooling the earth is the biggest effect
  5. Climate change is real, and dates back all the way to when earth was created.
    1. Statistic data provided by scientist from ice cores does show an increase in carbon monoxide and methane.
      1. This is preached to why climate change is caused by man. But other variables are left out even the scientist use them in their modeling.
      2. What is the earth's orbit around the sun (this changes all the time due to gravitational pull)
      3. What is the earth's axis during these climate change.
    2. Let's not forget the little ice age from 1300 - 1870
    3. Let's not forget the big change that extinct the dinosaurs
    4. Where did metropolis of Egypt go?

Climate change is always happening and takes 1000 of years to show indications and cycle

Hate to say it, but mother nature is done with us.. we gone.. no matter what we do (we could possible be increasing that time but that will come)

Humans are not the only factors either.

As per George Carlin , “ maybe the earth made man to get plastic”

” The Earth is going to shake mankind off like a bad case of the flees”

31 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

Gotta do your part for?

"It ain't easy being green" - Kermit the Frog.  You know, I'l trying to reduce my environmental footprint.  What better that a Porche to do so?

4 hours ago, cowwboy said:

Sub-bituminous Wyoming coal that we run doesn't have as high of a sulfur as the others. 
Why we were forced to scrub and convert to gas was based upon fugitive dust. To be honest I forgot which of the latest rules it fell under.

I work in gas plants so I try my best to forget about the headaches at coal plants.  The complexity and problematic mercury monitoring systems is unreal. 
But honestly seeing how much time we spend on tuning and constant monitoring of our SCR's in the plants I'm shocked they work in our trucks after a year of service. 

I understand. I've worked in coal fired generation for many years. I believe reducing So2 and PM is definitely warranted as a means to protect the environment. Mercury is a whole different story. Billions of dollars spent yearly to comply with MATS standards. 

Just now, Murphys said:

I understand. I've worked in coal fired generation for many years. I believe reducing So2 and PM is definitely warranted as a means to protect the environment. Mercury is a whole different story. Billions of dollars spent yearly to comply with MATS standards. 

And yet, standards are slipping.  BTW, if you want to know where your coal goes, go to eastern Europe. Romania, Ukraine, etc. are running on US coal.

1 hour ago, Eagleboy99 said:

"It ain't easy being green" - Kermit the Frog.  You know, I'l trying to reduce my environmental footprint.  What better that a Porche to do so?

Yea i also love how nobody mentions the effect of lithium mining, to produce the batteries for these "green" vehicles.  

I still find it fun to occasionally roll a little coal on an a$$hole driver. love the shift on the fly tunes. 

Edited by 1HELLUVALIFE
  • Like 3
1 minute ago, 1HELLUVALIFE said:

Yea i also love how nobody mentions the effect of lithium mining, to produce the batteries for these "green" vehicles.  

+1 And actually lithium is not the worst.  Ever seen a beach strip mined for silica to priduce glass? Or a coltan mine?

• Like 1
12 hours ago, justgary said:

Yes, but I suspect that Earth's magnetic field is an even bigger reason since the magnetosphere deflects most of the sun's charged energy around us, and not into our atmosphere.

So the Earth is apparently way overdue for a magnetic field reversal, and the field has been weakening for quite some time (which is normal).  The field will probably collapse at some point just before it flips (which may take decades, or it could occur in a day).  All of the naysayers who think you are killing us with your coal roller have conveniently kept this from you so they can blame you.  

Let me restate that: when the magnetic field weakens, more solar energy gets past the magnetosphere and into the atmosphere and the Earth warms up.  Further, when the sun becomes more active (reasonably correlated to sun spot counts), the Earth receives more energy and warms up.  If you want to keep your finger on the pulse of climate change, watch our magnetic field and our sun.

Next up: Volcanic activity!

I have heard this many times from engineers. 

6 hours ago, UWSkier said:

It's simple really.  Black smoke makes shadows.  Shadows block light.  Less light=less warming.  Coal rolling for everyone!  Let the skies look like the Birmingham England skies in Peaky Blinders!  :)

No wonder we had global cooling in the 70’s😂😂

10 hours ago, Sparky450 said:

I have heard this many times from engineers. 

Talk to any pilot or captain that relies on compasses as part of navigation.. True North and Magnetic North are not the same and changes...

10 minutes ago, kylesullens said:

Sigh...  Electric vehicles.  The highest form of irony.  Folks buy electric cars so they can pat themselves on the back (and more importantly, achieve social status among the urbanites) for being "green".  But a little bit of research tells you that the electric vehicle has higher cost of ownership and much higher environmental impact than a standard car.  And its not even close.  And you can only drive them 300 miles.  And then you need to plug them in to recharge them with electricity made from... wait for it... burning coal.

Teslas are cool.  I mean, they have computer screens, right?  And that is what we need more of in our lives.

They are stupid fast, but no styling what so ever, cant wear jeans with the white interior... etc   id just rather have a hellcat. 

Edited by 1HELLUVALIFE
26 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

Only a matter of time till gas guzzlers are gone. The horse and buggy folks all poo poo'd steam and gas vehicles too. 

Steve B.

For sure - but when? 10 years?  20?  50?

30 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

Only a matter of time till gas guzzlers are gone. The horse and buggy folks all poo poo'd steam and gas vehicles too. 

Steve B.

Going to be interesting to see the effect ford and other makers closing their car making facilities. Sounds like a great excuse to raise the price of gas. 🤔

51 minutes ago, kylesullens said:

Sigh...  Electric vehicles.  The highest form of irony.  Folks buy electric cars so they can pat themselves on the back (and more importantly, achieve social status among the urbanites) for being "green".  But a little bit of research tells you that the electric vehicle has higher cost of ownership and much higher environmental impact than a standard car.  And its not even close.  And you can only drive them 300 miles.  And then you need to plug them in to recharge them with electricity made from... wait for it... burning coal.

Teslas are cool.  I mean, they have computer screens, right?  And that is what we need more of in our lives.

I have never seen a cradle to grave cost analysis nor environmental impact of manufacturing them and that is missing from picture 

I hope all the greenie weenies also realize that you will still need fossil fuel to manufacture them and supply the power to them. Even if you charge by solar, wind, or hydro electricity... fossil fuel is behind the composites and production.

I will state that electric motors are more efficient in terms of making power and are instantaneous with torque.. A better way than a battery needs to be found to power them...