Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

EPA and offroad diesel parts

1HELLUVALIFE

Every diesel performance enthusiast can thank all the "coal rollers" for what is in progress with EPA and the shops that did any tuning or altering of emissions on diesel trucks. One of the tuners said he was threatened with up to $35,000 fine per vehicle that he modified if he didn't cooperate with the EPA on investigating everything that went through his shop. The next step they are going to do is go after the individuals that own the vehicles. There are already billboards going up with 800 numbers to report smoking vehicles. 

• Like 3

I will look into this. I am a coal roller on occasion. Very rarely. And I will call the shop that tuned mine. I think most of the modern tunes are "smoke free" for the most part. At least they are advertised as such. I can give up the coal, but not the hp,tq.

Yea my last truck was was an 06 6spd dodge with a lot of work.  Upgraded to a 13 auto and now i see this about the race parts. my plan was to run until the emissions stuff failed then do a small tune, mainly for deletes and trans tuning,. not looking for all out power like the last one. 

In my area what got the federal attention wasn't the "coal rollers" , it was a few shops that had deleted tractor trailers. 

Ahhh man... I have an apt next week to delete my 2018 Cummins. They did say it won’t roll much coal, even on the most aggressive tune. Also having them keep the muffler on there... it’s loud enough stock for me. I should be able to sneak by since they don’t have emissions testing in Kansas. Can I put the emissions stuff back on if it all goes south?

5 hours ago, carguy79ta said:

I will look into this. I am a coal roller on occasion. Very rarely. And I will call the shop that tuned mine. I think most of the modern tunes are "smoke free" for the most part. At least they are advertised as such. I can give up the coal, but not the hp,tq.

Search "diesel epa crackdown" on youtube. Many of the forums have gone silent due to fear of telling on tuners that have deleted before. Several threads on Duramaxforum asking who still sells delete pipes. Apparently dealers are dropping delete parts from their inventory.

5 hours ago, BlindSquirrel said:

Ahhh man... I have an apt next week to delete my 2018 Cummins. They did say it won’t roll much coal, even on the most aggressive tune. Also having them keep the muffler on there... it’s loud enough stock for me. I should be able to sneak by since they don’t have emissions testing in Kansas. Can I put the emissions stuff back on if it all goes south?

So... if it is tuned correctly it will not "roll coal".  To cause a truck to do this is to push more fuel than required. A properly modified performance diesel truck should not roll coal (it might briefly, but not for a long period of time).

I know this is going to be an unpopular opinion on here -- but have any of you guys considered that the EPA may be trying to protect our lakes/rivers/streams/families and wildlife with these "horrible" restrictions?

Season 1 of Dirty Money (Netflix) has a story about the VW emissions scandal and it blew my mind.  It flipped me from a "my property, my choice" type of person to someone that thinks a lot more about how the choices of a few can severely impact the lives of many.  It's about more than just being wasteful.  It's harmful.

But I'm an open minded guy and I'm perfectly willing to listen to explanations on how I'm wrong.  Let me have it.

• Like 3

Ya called my diesel shop they said epa is cracking down. I was going to replace my 4in pipe/4" straight thru muffler with a 5in straight pipe and nobody sells them anymore. Oh well, if I want it now I will have to fab it up. No biggie 

2 hours ago, Fffrank said:

I know this is going to be an unpopular opinion on here -- but have any of you guys considered that the EPA may be trying to protect our lakes/rivers/streams/families and wildlife with these "horrible" restrictions?

Season 1 of Dirty Money (Netflix) has a story about the VW emissions scandal and it blew my mind.  It flipped me from a "my property, my choice" type of person to someone that thinks a lot more about how the choices of a few can severely impact the lives of many.  It's about more than just being wasteful.  It's harmful.

But I'm an open minded guy and I'm perfectly willing to listen to explanations on how I'm wrong.  Let me have it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want horrible air quality.  With that said i don't think the government does much that is truly in the best interest of the people, there is always money or another motive in mind.

Where does it stop, do you really need a 700hp car? how much more co2 is that putting out over a civic?  

10 hours ago, 1HELLUVALIFE said:

Where does it stop, do you really need a 700hp car? how much more co2 is that putting out over a civic?  

The question is - who gets to draw the (co2) line?  Do you really need a Civic?

Edited by MadMan
  • Like 1

I am not a big fan of government over-regulation or EPA mandates that (from what I can tell) actually reduce fuel milage and might be also hard on the engine (especially the EGR), but I can honestly say that my last three Duramax trucks ('13, '16, and '19), have been powerful, reliable, quiet, and that I have had no complaints with the stock truck (or the emissions system).   

Also, as a side note, I have read advanced factory encryption of the ecu is also becoming a big hurdle for tuners and those who want to delete the emissions system.   

I’m deleted and tuned b/c I was looking at a large repair bill to fix a DEF system at 55k miles which was 5k out of warranty.

Did my delete myself and it was cheaper than DEF parts and Labor.  Saved equipment but would never revert back to stock unless forced by law which won’t happen.

The emissions equipment in these trucks is poor quality. Fix that and I bet many would not alter the emissions equipment. No more “50 miles to 50mph” warning messages for me.  

1 hour ago, Murphy8166 said:

I’m deleted and tuned b/c I was looking at a large repair bill to fix a DEF system at 55k miles which was 5k out of warranty.

I just had this very same issue on my '16 LML Duramax. 51K miles, 1k out of warranty, and my DEF system takes a dump. I was looking at a $3500 bill, but luckily my local GMC dealer got the majority of the tab taken care of or else I was looking really hard at the alternative...

Edited by UpperleftWake
6 hours ago, Fffrank said:

From what I’ve seen, the addition of all the EPA regulations has decreased efficiency (MPG) and reliability and increased cost. Not sure how that is good for the environment or the economy. 

1 hour ago, jjackkrash said:

I am not a big fan of government over-regulation or EPA mandates that (from what I can tell) actually reduce fuel milage and might be also hard on the engine (especially the EGR), but I can honestly say that my last three Duramax trucks ('13, '16, and '19), have been powerful, reliable, quiet, and that I have had no complaints with the stock truck (or the emissions system).   

Also, as a side note, I have read advanced factory encryption of the ecu is also becoming a big hurdle for tuners and those who want to delete the emissions system.   

With that many trucks in that short of a time, I’m not sure you are the best barometer of overall reliability of the truck or the emissions system. Not a shot at you, just an observation of anyone with three trucks in 6 years. 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, RyanB said:

With that many trucks in that short of a time, I’m not sure you are the best barometer of overall reliability of the truck or the emissions system. Not a shot at you, just an observation of anyone with three trucks in 6 years. 

I am a small sample and flip trucks before I put a stack of miles on them.  So that is a fair and accurate observation.   

7 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

I am a small sample and flip trucks before I put a stack of miles on them.  So that is a fair and accurate observation.   

How many miles did you actually drive them to?  I have no complaints on the stock power level and noise, etc, But idk how many miles this one will make it before it has problems.

The one before it was an 06 that i drove to 220k miles with 200hp tune , only replaced  water pump and a/c compressor. Still had stock fuel system.  the only thing that is helping this new truck is it has a load behind it most of the time. 

Without these deletes, many were forced into dealer repairs with OEM replacements Or reflashing of ECM  almost guaranteed to do it again .  This was substantial relief for the owners to do this when out of warranty allowing thee we n to keep their trucks that they paid for with hard earned snd already taxed income. 

i can almost conspiracy guarantee that if you follow the money it’s the new truck manufacturers lobbying the EPA

i thought we had clean diesel fuel now at the pump from refinery anyway  .  We don’t need any more regulation or enforcement of existing

too many of you are too young to remember what we were taught repeatedly through grade school snd middle school in the 60’s and 70’s;

CO2 is a greenhouse gas and the reason we can live on this planet in this proximity to the sun   

14 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

CO2 is a greenhouse gas and the reason we can live on this planet in this proximity to the sun   

Yes, but I suspect that Earth's magnetic field is an even bigger reason since the magnetosphere deflects most of the sun's charged energy around us, and not into our atmosphere.

So the Earth is apparently way overdue for a magnetic field reversal, and the field has been weakening for quite some time (which is normal).  The field will probably collapse at some point just before it flips (which may take decades, or it could occur in a day).  All of the naysayers who think you are killing us with your coal roller have conveniently kept this from you so they can blame you.  

Let me restate that: when the magnetic field weakens, more solar energy gets past the magnetosphere and into the atmosphere and the Earth warms up.  Further, when the sun becomes more active (reasonably correlated to sun spot counts), the Earth receives more energy and warms up.  If you want to keep your finger on the pulse of climate change, watch our magnetic field and our sun.

Next up: Volcanic activity!

• Like 2

I am at 200k on my current truck and went 300k on previous. Both were deleted and ran clean tunes (non smoke). So if I only buy a new truck every 5-6 years how much pollution did I save the world from the automotive industry having to build me a new truck every year?

19 minutes ago, justgary said:

Yes, but I suspect that Earth's magnetic field is an even bigger reason since the magnetosphere deflects most of the sun's charged energy around us, and not into our atmosphere.

So the Earth is apparently way overdue for a magnetic field reversal, and the field has been weakening for quite some time (which is normal).  The field will probably collapse at some point just before it flips (which may take decades, or it could occur in a day).  All of the naysayers who think you are killing us with your coal roller have conveniently kept this from you so they can blame you.  

Let me restate that: when the magnetic field weakens, more solar energy gets past the magnetosphere and into the atmosphere and the Earth warms up.  Further, when the sun becomes more active (reasonably correlated to sun spot counts), the Earth receives more energy and warms up.  If you want to keep your finger on the pulse of climate change, watch our magnetic field and our sun.

Next up: Volcanic activity!

Bingo on sun spots! ,  my Dad did 9 months at South Pole Station in ‘58 as a research meteorologist for as we know today NOAA.  Went there to study ice cores for evidence of same over  centuries of data

Conclusion was the sun spot activity as the regulator for weather variance due to their energy 

Edited by granddaddy55

Same thing when i had my Yamaha jetski, gp1300r , all sold in US had to have cat converters that clogged up and failed around 50 hours. All others sold around the world didn't have them. 

30 minutes ago, 1HELLUVALIFE said:

Same thing when i had my Yamaha jetski, gp1300r , all sold in US had to have cat converters that clogged up and failed around 50 hours. All others sold around the world didn't have them. 

Taking them out was not hard.