Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Couple questions on a possible project boat

trace

I looked at a 93 Echelon yesterday for a possible winter project, and have a couple questions.

The trailer has other issues, but the biggest one is the seller has no title for it. Anyone know of a way to check its history and get a title issued for it in Texas? Otherwise, the trailer is basically a liability to get rid of instead of adding any value to the deal.

The gelcoat needs major buffing, but it has what appears to be clearcoat peeling off in several areas. I think some previous seller may have sprayed it with clearcoat to shine it up to sell. To me this means the entire boat would have to be buffed, and it may be difficult to buff the clear off without going thru the gel. Has anyone seen this on a Malibu, or any fg boat before?

This boat has the old MMC computerized dash, which I have very little experience with. How reliable are these? It would toggle thru the display with the down arrow on the dash, up arrow didn't work but that is probably just the switch. What do the buttons on the steering wheel do? I didn't even mess with them. How hard is it to just gut the MMC and go to traditional gauges? Is it hooked into the engine or anything else in any way, or just simply a few computerized gauges? I did notice the blower ran automatically.

Those are my questions, more on the project...

It needs cosmetic work in a major way - it needs all vinyl and carpet redone, and all the deck gelcoat buffed. It also has a few gouges through the gelcoat from trailering. The trailer needs help in a major way - new fenders, bunks, and brakes, and I assume lights. The motor has 1535 hours on it, and the dash needs to be rebuilt. I'd say 90% of this boat needs attention.

The seller took it in trade for a Response LXi he sold recently, and was going to do it as a project himself but has no time now. He was told it had about 500 hrs on it, and I guess didn't know how to operate the MMC or just didn't care.

This is really a lot more work than I'm looking for, but for the right price I would be interested. The guy is asking $6k obo for it, and I think he's more negotiable after seeing the hours. From a flip project perspective, I don't think it's worth more than about $1500, and I don't think he'll stoop that low. Still gonna ask, though. Biggrin.gif

Here in CA I've taken many a boat trailer without titles, ground off any identifying marks (numbers stamped into the frame/decals etc) and registered them as a "new construction". I always get bill of sale from the prior owner and just have them say that I bought misc trailer parts such an axle(s), fenders, hitch, springs etc.

While not 100% legal I suppose, I've never had an issue with CA DMV. I figured if the prior owner could provide the pink on the boat, then the trailer is probably not stolen!!

Otherwise, see if there is a plate number or VIN number on the trailer and check TX DMV to see if there is anyway to track down the last registered owner and hope he's willing to sign things over to you......

Lance

Here in CA I've taken many a boat trailer without titles, ground off any identifying marks (numbers stamped into the frame/decals etc) and registered them as a "new construction". I always get bill of sale from the prior owner and just have them say that I bought misc trailer parts such an axle(s), fenders, hitch, springs etc.

While not 100% legal I suppose, I've never had an issue with CA DMV. I figured if the prior owner could provide the pink on the boat, then the trailer is probably not stolen!!

Otherwise, see if there is a plate number or VIN number on the trailer and check TX DMV to see if there is anyway to track down the last registered owner and hope he's willing to sign things over to you......

Lance

Same.

DMV has been very easy to deal with on "new construction" trailers for me over the years

Properboatcare.com has some great products - their gel coat restoration kit in conjunction with a circular polisher (not random orbital) will really spiff up oxidised gel coat, but the peeling clearcoat is kind of baffling. What I do know is that a clear coat layer is sure a lot more fragile than gelcoat, and acetone or lacquer thinner won't hurt the gelcoat. I wouldn't hesitate to call properboatcare and ask them the question.

Have them put "home made"trailer on the bill of sale and they will most likely have you just go get it weighed and then let you get a tag for it.

That's how it works in Ohio.

Thanks for the replies.

I've done a cut & polish on some lightly faded areas on my own boat just recently, and have tools & supplies for that and some experience. That's one of the reasons this was attractive as a project.

The clearcoat really surprised me too. Is this true that it could be stripped with lacquer thinner without harming the gel? I bet the guy would let me test a spot on the boat anyway.

Thanks and keep em coming!

Trace

In texas there is no trailer titlling for a trailer that size. Just registration. As far as the value I would say $2000-$4000 depending on what works.

The computer you speak of "MMC" is actually called a Computron. They usually well when they are working. I.E. if they go out they crap out completely and you lose all functions. Other than that is a great easy to use system.

IF you have any questions PM or e-amil me directly.

Well, thanks again, but all this is now moot... called the guy to make an offer, and someone coughed up $5000 for it. I'd say the seller made out very well on that deal.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to disagree with Ramman, but there is a title issued for a trailer in Texas. If you go to the Texas Department of Public Safety website, you can print out forms for a lost title and get another one issued. I know that the Texas Wildlife Dept issues the boat titles, but I am not sure about the trailer. If the boat has a lien against it (that should show up on the title), then its a good bet the trailer has a lien on it too. You are going to have to address the problem when you sell it, so I would go ahead and get it straight now. Of course, if you have another trailer, you can merely swap out plates when you tow and avoid the problem (until you sell it) Biggrin.gif

I believe that when I purchased the boat I was informed that their is no title for a trailer if the gross weight is under 10,000, however the registraition must be changed upon sale to the new owner. I know that there was no title transfered when I bought it.

I DO have a outstanding lien on both the boat and trailer.

I could be wrong but that was what was explained to me by the loan agent at the credit union...however she could have just been Crazy.gif and not explained it correctly.

Oh well guess it does not matter now. Like I said I could be mistaken but that is the way it was explained to me.

Dontknow.gifDontknow.gifDontknow.gifDontknow.gifDontknow.gifDontknow.gifDontknow.gifDontknow.gifDontknow.gif

Here are some difinitive answers.

Q. How do I title a new manufactured trailer?

A trailer must weigh at least 4001 pounds to be titled. You will need:

Manufactured Certificate of Origin (MCO)

Form 130-U Application for Texas Certificate of Title

May need weight certificate if weight is not indicated on MCO

Q. How do I register a homemade / shopmade trailer that does not meet the title requirements?

You will need:

Form VTR-305-A - Statement of Fact for Ownership of Homemade/Shopmade Trailer

Form 130-U Application for Texas Certificate of Title (Required even if not titled)

Weight Certificate

Q. How do I title a homemade / shopmade trailer that is 4001 pounds or more?

You will need:

Form VTR-305-A - Statement of Fact for Ownership of Homemade/Shopmade Trailer

Weight Certificate

Form 68-A - Application for Assigned or Reassigned Vehicle Identification Number

Q. What documents do I need to transfer an out of state titled trailer?

You will need:

Negotiable Out of State Title

May need weight certificate if weight is not indicated on title

VI-30-A Certificate of Inspection

You can get more info from here

http://www.tax.co.harris.tx.us/