Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

gauge lens replacements

On 10/3/2019 at 1:48 PM, SkiPablo said:

it was the Facebook page - but here is what I posted...

2 of the gauges on my 03 Malibu had heavy crazing for the last few years. The guages both worked fine so it was hard to justify replacing them at $300 a pop. After several dead ends, I was able to get a hold of medallion customer service and they found the lenses that were the exact size of my year and sold them to me. I wasn't sure it was going to work out b/c I failed opening up a dead gauge last year. I couldn't get the plexi to separate from the base. Anyhow this is what I found - a razor saw (Zona 35-050). It was just the right size to cut out the glue and I was able to pop the old lenses off. After a little clean up this is how they look - see last pic.

The Lens was Medallion part 4625-10554-01 - I can tell you it is year specifc - my gauges were made in 2002.   Phone (800) 828-8127

Just called today and order 3 of those lenses (4625-10554-01). Just over $2 each. Shipping was $20, so about $27 all in. Not bad for getting brand new looking gauges (after a bit of work to install them...).

Thanks for doing the research on this!!

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/13/2022 at 10:51 AM, SevernRat said:

Just called today and order 3 of those lenses (4625-10554-01). Just over $2 each. Shipping was $20, so about $27 all in. Not bad for getting brand new looking gauges (after a bit of work to install them...).

Thanks for doing the research on this!!

I've received the new plastic lenses to replace my cracked lenses. Now I'll need to read through this thread again to figure out how to get the old lenses off. Likely need to pick up that little saw thing, then some of that marine adhesive. 

• 2 months later...
On 7/5/2022 at 11:36 AM, SevernRat said:

I've received the new plastic lenses to replace my cracked lenses. Now I'll need to read through this thread again to figure out how to get the old lenses off. Likely need to pick up that little saw thing, then some of that marine adhesive. 

fyi, I didn't get the saw thing and just used a knife (exacto-style). I did that for 2 of them and used a spinning cutting wheel for the third. I would definitely recommend against the spinning wheel or anything like that. The exacto knife was decent, but you have to be crazy careful, which isn't easy and is both time consuming and frustrating. 

If I had to do this again, I would definitely buy the knife suggested by the OP.

Separately, the little screen on my speedo (that provides hours/depth/etc...) looks to be delaminating. Anything I can do about that? I pulled the whole gauge apart and looks like I'd need to de-solder the screen to take it out and then pull off the old backing thing that's peeling off so that I could re-glue it. Is this the correct approach? If yes, any ideas about what glue works best? I'll attach a picture of the delamination next.

Here's the before pic of the speedometer gauge: 

Before Image

After the lens replacement:

After Image

Pictures of the delamination:

How it looks from the front with no lens

Angle 1 showing the delamination

Angle 2 showing the delamination

I used my finger to slide under the screen and push the backing film thingy that's peeling off so that it stuck to the screen better, but I think that backing film has warped (maybe from heat?) so it wants to naturally peal away. Any ideas?

• 8 months later...

You guys must've talked with a different Medallion company than I did. She refused to even take the part number and see if they were available, wants me to take the guages out first and give her the part number off them before she will even tell me if they are serviceable or not. 

On 9/6/2022 at 7:21 AM, SevernRat said:

Here's the before pic of the speedometer gauge: 

Before Image

After the lens replacement:

After Image

Pictures of the delamination:

How it looks from the front with no lens

Angle 1 showing the delamination

Angle 2 showing the delamination

I used my finger to slide under the screen and push the backing film thingy that's peeling off so that it stuck to the screen better, but I think that backing film has warped (maybe from heat?) so it wants to naturally peal away. Any ideas?

@SevernRat Did pressing the backing film back onto the screen work? I have this issue and am nervous to open up the gauge. The gauge is $950 on bakes / malibuparts.

On 5/23/2023 at 4:21 PM, MtnMali said:

You guys must've talked with a different Medallion company than I did. She refused to even take the part number and see if they were available, wants me to take the guages out first and give her the part number off them before she will even tell me if they are serviceable or not. 

I'm pretty sure the part numbers I posted will work with your gauges too.   I'm the guy who posted the pictures a few years ago.   the person who email me was from medallionis.com

• 1 month later...
On 5/30/2023 at 12:51 PM, saskicker32 said:

@SevernRat Did pressing the backing film back onto the screen work? I have this issue and am nervous to open up the gauge. The gauge is $950 on bakes / malibuparts.

Not really, no. It's a temp fix at best. I think there must be some kind of glue that I'm going to need to use. Taking the guages apart wasn't too hard. Worst part for me was just cutting off those old lenses.

• 3 months later...