Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Will my boat fit in the garage?

sooch

Hi all, embarassed to post this, but my 97 Response LX (new to me) is currently in the shop getting winterized, and one of my neighbors was kind enough to let me store the boat in his garage, but I need to let him know ASAP if I want it.

Any ideas on what garage door opening (height and width) and garage length are required for my 1997 20' Response Lx and trailer?

Can't get a response from the shop, but I know someone here will know....

Thanks!

You'll need a 9' wide door - my trailer (BoatMate) is 8' 6" from guide pole to guide pole. If you don't have a tower, the boat will easily fit under a 7' tall door.

Edited by SunriseH2OSkier

Length will depend on the trailer - whether or not it's got a breakaway tongue & where exactly the tongue breaks (if it's an Extreme, it will break right at the nose of the boat & that coupled with taking the swimstep off, makes it an even 20' that you'll need).

Oh & sooch, welcome to the site. :)

Sorry sooch, forgot my manners. Welcome.gif

Regarding Tracie's comments on the type of trailer, I see you are from Ohio. Don't see a lot of Extreme trailers here in the midwest. Mostly BoatMate, Elete (no longer in business), SMP, and (maybe) some Dorsey. If you have an Elete, which was pretty common in the late 90's, you are probably going to need significantly more than 20' to park her. Even with a swing tongue, those trailers were really long. BoatMate trailers are probably very similar to the Extreme from a length standpoint. Can't speak to the SMP or Dorsey.

Sorry sooch, forgot my manners. Welcome.gif

Regarding Tracie's comments on the type of trailer, I see you are from Ohio. Don't see a lot of Extreme trailers here in the midwest. Mostly BoatMate, Elete (no longer in business), SMP, and (maybe) some Dorsey. If you have an Elete, which was pretty common in the late 90's, you are probably going to need significantly more than 20' to park her. Even with a swing tongue, those trailers were really long. BoatMate trailers are probably very similar to the Extreme from a length standpoint. Can't speak to the SMP or Dorsey.

The SMP trailers from that era had removable tongues that broke right at the nose of the boat. The only PITA with them was that the tongue was removable, not swingaway, and of course, there wasn't enough brake hydraulic hose to allow you to lay it on the ground. Other than that, I had great luck with the SMP trailer on my 2000 VLX.

If you have an SMP with a removable tongue, it will be 20' total length. If not, it will probably be around 22 feet with swim platform removed.

Put my 2000 RLX on a Elete trailer with no swing away tongue in garage with a two car wide door and 23' long without any problems. The 05RLXi on a Boatmate trailer with the swing away tongue fits in the same spot. The guide posts on both trailer came off and could shave the width down just under 8'.

• 2 weeks later...
Put my 2000 RLX on a Elete trailer with no swing away tongue in garage with a two car wide door and 23' long without any problems. The 05RLXi on a Boatmate trailer with the swing away tongue fits in the same spot. The guide posts on both trailer came off and could shave the width down just under 8'.

Thanks for all the help- good news is it will fit in the garage; bad news is it is going in the garage for the next 6 months!

• 2 weeks later...

What about the true length of a 2000 Sunsetter LXi? The trailer has a retracting tongue, so the actual length of the boat is all I need. I know spec sheets say "21 feet, 8 inhces", but is that the "true" overall length? I cannot check it because the boat is that the sellers house, and he is out of town. I forget to measure its true length. The depth of my garage is just a bit shy of 21'8", thus my need to know EXACTLY what the lengthy really is. Can anyone drop a couple of plumb lines on their SLXi and let me know? I'd greatly appreciate it!

-kenny

Edited by BAXMAN

Bow to stern w/o platform is 21'8". I have a detachable toung and the trailer is shorter than the boat. Sounds like you might a few inches short. Unless you have enough width to turn it a bit sideways.

Edited by Lakenut

We got our 05 WS into our garage this weekend. It was quiet the experience. Our Bu' wouldn't fit so we used a hand jack. We put the tongue of the trailer on the jack so that we could get the boat in under the garage door and then manually pushed the boat in wiggling it side to side. She is sitting side ways in the garage in order to fit. We do have a break away tongue which was helpful. We droppped our tower and had to take the ball off the top of the tower but, we got her in there. We have a small garage so needless to say it is bustin out at the sides with MS. THANG crammed in there. I have a little spot left open so that I can get to the washer and dryer. If you back up or bend down to fast you'll get 2 stainlesss steel tips in the tushy. Shocking.gif Good luck

Edited by DRAGONFLYPRINCESS

I think this product (Tire Skate) or something similar is a must when squeezing a boat into a tight garage. Not only lets you position the boat exactly where you need it in order to maximize your limited space, but the boat can be very easily moved within the garage to access cabinets, shelves, etc.

A word of caution, don't assume all vehicle dollies are the same. Make sure they have quality, ball-bearing casters.

post-92-1164147146.jpg