Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Winter Covering question

PNWoke

I appreciate the help in advance.  long story short, my covered winter boat storage fell through on me and I'm a couple months out from getting a proper metal storage building erected on my property. I expect to to have to stomach a few cold wet Oregon nights in the meantime.  The Malibu cover still is doing ok for UV but its no where near water tight anymore.  I have decided to get my boat vinyl wrapped after it is winterized later this month.  I ran into this product from greatlakeskipper.com(https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/malibu-2013-lsv-23-w-g3-tower-door-transhield-boat-shrinkable-shipping-cover-7811020).  Seems like a decent price, and was wondering if you guys had any opinions of the product.  Also, these are for 2013 23LSVs, and mine happens to be a 2014.  I am thinking the layouts should be close enough to work, but does anyone know if big structural differences exist between the 2013 23lsv and the 2014 23lsv?  I assume with its shrinkable nature, it can compensate for some minor differences.  Cheers!

How do you plan to account for condensation if you shrink the cover?  Another thought just came to mind:  ask your dealer if they have one of the malibu shipping covers. I got one for free for my Response.  Even after it was used to transport a boat, it still fit.

Edited by Eagleboy99
No reason

I have ben using these shelter logic tent barns for years now. This one is going on year 5. Dollar for dollar around here i can't beat them. Best part is i can work in them during the spring and fall.

15685859650562480297689280669334.jpg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, asnowman said:

I have ben using these shelter logic tent barns for years now. This one is going on year 5. Dollar for dollar around here i can't beat them. Best part is i can work in them during the spring and fall.

What size is that one? What size is your 25 LSV in?

25 lsv is still in the lake. The response is in the picture, its in a 12x24 11ft high barn style, about 1200 bucks. Next to this one is a 28'long version, which i will see if the 25 can fit in. But, i am ready to get a 32' version for the 25 to go in.

In my experience, the 9oz basic cover has lasted about 7 years, and the 14 oz ones past 10, at least up here in new england.

9 minutes ago, asnowman said:

25 lsv is still in the lake. The response is in the picture, its in a 12x24 11ft high barn style, about 1200 bucks. Next to this one is a 28'long version, which i will see if the 25 can fit in. But, i am ready to get a 32' version for the 25 to go in.

In my experience, the 9oz basic cover has lasted about 7 years, and the 14 oz ones past 10, at least up here in new england.

Ok thank you! That’s great advice and they look great. 

16 hours ago, PNWoke said:

I appreciate the help in advance.  long story short, my covered winter boat storage fell through on me and I'm a couple months out from getting a proper metal storage building erected on my property. I expect to to have to stomach a few cold wet Oregon nights in the meantime.  The Malibu cover still is doing ok for UV but its no where near water tight anymore.  I have decided to get my boat vinyl wrapped after it is winterized later this month.  I ran into this product from greatlakeskipper.com(https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/malibu-2013-lsv-23-w-g3-tower-door-transhield-boat-shrinkable-shipping-cover-7811020).  Seems like a decent price, and was wondering if you guys had any opinions of the product.  Also, these are for 2013 23LSVs, and mine happens to be a 2014.  I am thinking the layouts should be close enough to work, but does anyone know if big structural differences exist between the 2013 23lsv and the 2014 23lsv?  I assume with its shrinkable nature, it can compensate for some minor differences.  Cheers!

I used a transhield shipping cover several times on my last boat and will be using one again this winter. They are great covers.

50 minutes ago, Raimie said:

I used a transhield shipping cover several times on my last boat and will be using one again this winter. They are great covers.

Do you store it under a roof as well? Just curious. We stored a boat under shrink wrap one time, and it was more work to clean in the spring, but that was an absurd winter, we had over 5 feet of snow on the ground for half that winter.

13 hours ago, asnowman said:

Do you store it under a roof as well? Just curious. We stored a boat under shrink wrap one time, and it was more work to clean in the spring, but that was an absurd winter, we had over 5 feet of snow on the ground for half that winter.

No. I have never had an issue. The boat is generally a bit dusty inside, but aside from that very clean and always bone dry.

On 9/15/2019 at 7:29 AM, Eagleboy99 said:

How do you plan to account for condensation if you shrink the cover?  Another thought just came to mind:  ask your dealer if they have one of the malibu shipping covers. I got one for free for my Response.  Even after it was used to transport a boat, it still fit.

Good question.  Saw there are clip on style  vents that come with those vinyl wrap kits.

23 hours ago, asnowman said:

That’s Awesome and I have wondered about doing this too, do you think it could handle a foot of snow?

3 hours ago, PNWoke said:

That’s Awesome and I have wondered about doing this too, do you think it could handle a foot of snow?

Yes the ones i have now can handle a good snow load. It does depend on the model. I had one previously that i had to go out and clear all the snow off it to prevent it from caving in. The one in the picture has been through multiple storms with over a foot of snow, i have not had to d anything to remove snow from it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2019 at 4:20 PM, asnowman said:

I only got 2 years out of mine anchored on a concrete slab.  I dont live in a windy area, but the sun really did a job on mine.  It was so brittle, I could tear it like a piece of paper with my hands. Just upgraded to the heavy duty PVC cover with 10 year warranty.  Seems to be a much higher quality cover.  Hope I get 10 years out of it. Glad to hear yours are lasting longer than mine did.

18 minutes ago, bovhica said:

I only got 2 years out of mine anchored on a concrete slab.  I dont live in a windy area, but the sun really did a job on mine.  It was so brittle, I could tear it like a piece of paper with my hands. Just upgraded to the heavy duty PVC cover with 10 year warranty.  Seems to be a much higher quality cover.  Hope I get 10 years out of it. Glad to hear yours are lasting longer than mine did.

Do you think that  have had to do with the breathability of the gravel/ amount of temperature and heat difference? Or the amount of shade?  

I only ask because you mention you had yours on slab vs the gravel in the earlier post.

Those shelter logic tents are great. The tarp material does leak a bit when it's raining but not enough to really worry about. The sun is really what gets to them along with the snow weighing them down in the winter. Some of the models have a steeper round top that is better at allowing the snow to slide off, but you still need to go out and remove it. We use them on our boat slips, super redneck style. Our tent is on its second season now and still in good condition, one next door has small holes where the cross beams meet and it's about 4 years I believe. 

Ultimately for a little bit more money I would get one of those tin roof kits you see advertised. 

7 hours ago, Raleigh said:

Do you think that  have had to do with the breathability of the gravel/ amount of temperature and heat difference? Or the amount of shade?  

I only ask because you mention you had yours on slab vs the gravel in the earlier post.

The shade certainly makes a difference, but the grade of the tarp also makes a big difference. The one in my picture above is the cheap grade, and holding up well. At our lake house we used the heavy duty tarp, and it is noticeably better, more water tight, much more flexible. Price difference was 4-600 when you buy the whole package, the replacement canvas, is almost as expensive as a whole new kit.

@Raleigh I looked into a metal roof structure too, but it required a permit for me to install here, and i couldi't get one with the right snow load for less than 3x the cost of the upgraded tarp shelterlogic kit. 

On 9/26/2019 at 11:55 PM, Raleigh said:

Mine has virtually no shade.  Houses on each side but gets most of the days sun.  Summers here are 90s with a couple weeks in 100s and it gets hot inside.  FWIW much cooler on the floor/concrete vs the ceiling.  Sweat my a** off working inside the boat.  Comfortable laying on concrete underneath.  The standard tarp only has a 1 year warranty and is a different material than the heavy duty options.  It's a tarp type material.  The heavy duty seems to be more flexible and much stronger. My original "tarp" lasted exactly 2 years.  Others are obviously getting more life out of theirs.  I assume weather conditions and the sun play the biggest role in shelf life.  We dont get much snow, but when we did get dumped on, mine shed most of it and I got the rest with a broom.  Mine is a round top version. I just put the new pvc cover on last night.  Seems like a good upgrade, but only time will tell. Cost me a little more than the whole original setup for just the cover and doors this time around.  If it doesn't last I will be weighing other options.  I haven't taken any photos of the new but here are some of old cover.20180808_175812.thumb.jpg.119480049703a7d11ca70444d9b17a21.jpg20171029_161730.thumb.jpg.2fcad17fe8a78ad0c41fc808926d345c.jpg20171029_163221.thumb.jpg.d221fc3d303f62f6654e178508271880.jpg20171029_160400.thumb.jpg.0026df325985d746b213892e3363e4cb.jpg 

Edit:  photos of new.  I went with heavy duty 10 year vs the ultra heavy duty 15 year because grey wasn't an option.   Did not want white or forest green.  

20190928_090404.jpg

20190928_090526.jpg

Edited by bovhica
  • Like 2

I ran those shelter logic units for a number of years, if you lower your expectations and maintain it they work pretty well. I buy the 12x20x10 units and usually cost me $400 CDN. I will typically get two years out of them. funny story though.... I had one set up in the corner of our yard (work, industrial area) and a big wind storm came thru. Went to check on it to see how she had fair'd............she gone! The whole thing was physically gone, not a part sitting there anymore...... so I proceed to drive around looking for it (or parts of it) and cant find anything! so a few weeks go by and I did notice the trucking outfit had exact same one as mine in their yard (about 10 Km's away) but was set up perfectly in the corner of their yard....I thought there is no way it blew over there and landed like that...... So I go to the office and ask them about it and they immediately start laughing as they figured someone had set it up and they were using it for storage now.......The damn thing actually blew away in one piece and landed perfectly in someone else's yard......

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, mackie12 said:

I ran those shelter logic units for a number of years, if you lower your expectations and maintain it they work pretty well. I buy the 12x20x10 units and usually cost me $400 CDN. I will typically get two years out of them. funny story though.... I had one set up in the corner of our yard (work, industrial area) and a big wind storm came thru. Went to check on it to see how she had fair'd............she gone! The whole thing was physically gone, not a part sitting there anymore...... so I proceed to drive around looking for it (or parts of it) and cant find anything! so a few weeks go by and I did notice the trucking outfit had exact same one as mine in their yard (about 10 Km's away) but was set up perfectly in the corner of their yard....I thought there is no way it blew over there and landed like that...... So I go to the office and ask them about it and they immediately start laughing as they figured someone had set it up and they were using it for storage now.......The damn thing actually blew away in one piece and landed perfectly in someone else's yard......

That's epic 10 KMS???

11 minutes ago, mackie12 said:

@Raleigh Lol, it wasn't really 10 Km's........but like a fishing story the number has to get bigger every time you tell it....probably 3-4 Km's as our yard is two wide.

Still insane. Did you get it back?