Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

06-08 23 LSV - which one to get? Found one of each

Juice75

So I'm finally ready to pull the trigger on a 23 LSV.  I found an 06, 07 and 08, all with similar options and condition.  The 08 is about $5k more, but the 06 and 07 are close to the same price.  I know the 08 has the newer hull, dash, interior and tower, but is that boat that much better than the 06/07?  

Any opinions on those three years?  We mainly wakeboard, but may try surfing at some point.  Haven't brought myself to try it yet.  I still like flying through the air too much.

Thanks!

2008.  Better hull for water sports.  It is also a 102" beam vs 100", so more interior space (and 2" DOES make a difference).  Come resale time, there will be those that won't consider an '07 but will an '08+; you won't have that the opposite direction.

I don't think you can go wrong either way.  We have an '07 and it has been a great boat, very reliable with no problems.  Personally, I like the dash of the '07 much better but the new hull on the '08 is definitely a plus.  We mainly surf and have custom Wakemakers PnP sacks in the rear and use the Mega Shaper to produce an awesome wave!  Not sure the '08 is worth $5K additional if hours of the boats are all about the same as when it comes time to sell you won't get that much more for it.  Good luck with your purchase!

I'd lean towards the 2008 for the same resale reason. The 2008 redesign has the same hull through 2013, which is why it gets a premium over the 2006-2007s.

I bought my 2008 23 LSV in 2014 and sold it in 2018, and saw a consistent $5-8K premium over 2006/2007 at both points in time. You may see less of a spread in your area since these boats tend to sell for less in your region. Regardless, you should be able to buy that boat, use it for a few years and sell it for what you paid for it, or very close to it.

2 hours ago, JWBeav said:

I don't think you can go wrong either way.  We have an '07 and it has been a great boat, very reliable with no problems.  Personally, I like the dash of the '07 much better but the new hull on the '08 is definitely a plus.  We mainly surf and have custom Wakemakers PnP sacks in the rear and use the Mega Shaper to produce an awesome wave!  Not sure the '08 is worth $5K additional if hours of the boats are all about the same as when it comes time to sell you won't get that much more for it.  Good luck with your purchase!

Good to hear.  My wife likes the 06 because it still has cup holders by the glove box.  :)  I've only seen one of the boats in person so far, and going to look at the others.  Hours are all within 100 or so of each other.

The 08 dash definitely would take some getting used to.  Plus, there's something to be said for good old fashion rocker switches.  I would look for a 2009-10, but I can't stand how Malibu moved the bow rails inside.  I sat in one, and if I moved, I ended up with a rail in my back.  My kids love to ride in the bow, so I think that would be deal breaker.

Agree with JW.  I don't think you will see any difference in resale between the 06-08 boats with similar hours and features.  After 10+ years, the small differences don't impact buying decisions as much on the used market.  Its more about condition, condition, condition. 

In an older boat, I appreciate the manual dash controls so that I am not at the mercy of 10 year old electronic displays.  less likely to fail, and if it does, much easier to repair than trying to diagnose a problem with the digital touch screen displays.

Disclaimer: my boat is an 06 LSV and I love 99.9% of the features.

I added 3 pumps and 4 PnP bags to my boat, total cost about $2500 from WakeMakers.  I did the install.  The boat throws a decent wave, and I have spent zero time trying to dial it in.  We spend most of our time wakeboarding, skiing, and tubing (easy guys - I have young kids).  If the kids show interest in surfing (zero thus far), I will add GSA system.

kylesullens - I pull a tube, too, so no worries here.  I'd like to say it's only my kids back there, but the adults like to get destroyed, too.  But fear not, we only tube in rough water.  :)  Nice work on the install.  I did the same thing for my 99 VLX.  It didn't have any ballast, but now it has a fully automated 1300 lbs, which sinks that boat nicely for wakeboarding.

jcon44 - 08 was the only year for the dash, but the tower lasted 2 years.  I believe the G3 tower replaced it in 2010.  The dash isn't terrible, but the height does cut down on visibility a little.  My nephew has an 08 23 LSV, and I've driven it a few times.

The 08 dash looks like ET.  I am sure that there are pics around.  I think that since nobody in this thread yet called it the ET dash, I should be the first.  

Edited by TallRedRider
7 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

The 08 dash looks like ET.  I am sure that there are pics around.  I think that since nobody in this thread yet called it the ET dash, I should be the first.  

I can see the resemblance. Loved that boat though and it served us very well.

3ED54867-DDB0-4840-8252-9E8B609B7666.thumb.jpeg.867240ecf507dcec2cac21a0cc6ef9ae.jpeg