Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How many sessions

wheelman

Curious to how many surf or wakeboard sessions most do in a days outing? If you go out for the day or however long you’re out for  how may times does each rider ride? And how long is your usual session before you’re ready to go back in the boat?

I personally only like surfing for like 20 minutes tops before taking a break. It could be 3 pulls, it could be 15 depending on what board and if I'm trying to do tricks. I normally try to let everyone ride as much as they want, but after 5 pulls or so I suggest letting someone else get a ride and they can go again later. The exception is new Learners/people. I normally let them go until the either get up and have the hang of it or give up for the time being.

I normally just play it by ear though.

I try to keep a very small crew, but occasionally have out other families. During the adults only sessions 3-4 of us can get in 3 sessions each in 2.5-3 hours. When kids are with me, as long as I get in a decent 20 minute session, I am happy. I do love it when my kids fall asleep in the boat and I get to spend an hour or more behind the boat without having to share :lol: That doesn't happen as often now as it used to, but it's also great to see them progress.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We are out a lot with families and then it's kids and adults doing their thing. I wait until the very end and then usually go for 10-15 minutes. My six year old is just learning to ski, so as much as I would love to surf more, I'll gladly pull her around to her little hearts content. Tonight however I had some neighbors out and one of the guys does competitions so he went for the longest(fun to watch and learn). Then three others before I went for literally a minute. Pulled off my second ever 360 and called it a night.

We try to let everyone have a good turn, but the sessions are shorter, like 1.5-2 hours on average. Either people start to get hungry or the lake gets whipped up. Try to get everyone a good 3-5 pulls or 20 minutes, then switch off.

We don't go far from our dock, so short sessions are really easy. Been known to take a crew while other eat, and then switch people.

As long as everyone is smiling, its all good with me.

We stay out for at least four hours, depending on how many are with with us. But even when we have a small crew of just 3-4 surfing, no one ever really goes more than two riding sessions. I am not sure how long they get, but in a days riding we are all happy to get 2 sessions. I am happy if I get just one session. 

Those of you with young kids, if you haven't yet, start teaching them safe boating tips as soon as they can walk. When they are 17-18, they will be as good of a captain as you've taught them to be. I've been with buddies that won't let anyone do anything at all out of fear of minor damage to the boat. Nobody learns to take some of the load off of you that way. Let me tell you, I get tired being at the helm for hours on end while everyone else is riding or enjoying watching others ride. It was a life changing event when I realized that my boy is fully capable of giving me the opportunity to sit in the observer's seat for a minute when I want to.

Bottom line - sessions last a lot longer with more people on board capable of taking the helm. Last session was cut short after a few hours due to darkness. 

Edited by BigCreek
15 minutes ago, BigCreek said:

Those of you with young kids, if you haven't yet, start teaching them safe boating tips as soon as they can walk. When they are 17-18, they will be as good of a captain as you've taught them to be. I've been with buddies that won't let anyone do anything at all out of fear of minor damage to the boat. Nobody learns to take some of the load of of you that way. Let me tell you, I get tired being at the helm for hours on end while everyone else is riding or enjoying watching others ride. It was a life changing event when I realized that my boy is fully capable of giving me the opportunity to sit in the observer's seat for a minute when I want to.

Bottom line - sessions last a lot longer with more people on board capable of taking the helm. Last session was cut short after a few hours due to darkness. 

And you don't end up being one more knuckle head with his boat tied up to the dock forever while his wife or kid sits in it getting ugly stares because he won't teach her/them how to drive it! :Doh:

39 minutes ago, BigCreek said:

Those of you with young kids, if you haven't yet, start teaching them safe boating tips as soon as they can walk. When they are 17-18, they will be as good of a captain as you've taught them to be. I've been with buddies that won't let anyone do anything at all out of fear of minor damage to the boat. Nobody learns to take some of the load of of you that way. Let me tell you, I get tired being at the helm for hours on end while everyone else is riding or enjoying watching others ride. It was a life changing event when I realized that my boy is fully capable of giving me the opportunity to sit in the observer's seat for a minute when I want to.

100% agree!  Getting the trained on the ins and outs of boating, safety, tying up, launching, etc. is key.  With 2 kids on board who know the ropes (no pun intended) it makes it so much easier for me to focus on driving the boat.  Even though its not technically allowed, I like to let them take a turn driving the boat back to the dock when the lake is clear.  I grew up boating, wife didnt, and it has take her quite awhile to get comfortable driving.  Getting a jumpstart on the little ones so they are ready to take the helm when the time comes.

• Like 1

Interesting to see it’s about the same as we do. The how many hours thread got me thinking how people are putting the hours on their boats. Our boat stays at our summer lake house and sometimes I swear my hour meter is broken(it’s not) as we can be out on the lake for the day but only put an hour clock time on the boat with 2 to 3 people surfing. Feels like we are surfing for longer than we actually are I guess. Like I said in hour thread, my boat is only running while it is pulling someone, all other times it shut off. 

It's pretty much unlimited for me, but the only ones on our boat on a normal outing are me, my wife a four year old and one year old.  I'm the only one that surfs or wakeboards in our crew.  Still, it depends on how the kids are behaving.  Since having the first kid, we haven't been able to get out enough to keep the skills up so I still suck, but just enjoy being behind the boat.