Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I have to credit this forum for this must have...

rsutton1223

There are little things you pick up on here and there from groups and forums. I have been using a box anchor for years with great results and it has really made my anchoring super easy. I was recently introduced to the Anchor Buddy line on this forum. I didn't think it could get any easier but now it is again. The Box Anchor matted with the Anchor Buddy makes anchoring anywhere under 35-40 feet insanely easy and there is no dirty, white, long line to deal with.

APC_0180-Edit-X4.jpg

Edited by rsutton1223
  • Like 3
16 minutes ago, Dock4 said:

What size box anchor did you go with?  What length Anchor Buddy?

14' that stretches to 50'. Small box anchor which has held multiple boats in high wind and waves. 

Do you use the anchor buddy alone, or together with an anchor line?  I've heard you are supposed to use it in tandem with a line?  I've been using a box anchor and a regular anchor line, but thinking of getting an anchor buddy.

2 minutes ago, cmargosi said:

Do you use the anchor buddy alone, or together with an anchor line?  I've heard you are supposed to use it in tandem with a line?  I've been using a box anchor and a regular anchor line, but thinking of getting an anchor buddy.

Alone. When there are a lot of waves and you are tied up alone account for a couple of feet of pull. The boat goes right back and the anchor doesn’t move. 

Love the anchor buddy. I’ve been using it with the “Digger” anchor for a little over 10 years now and can’t say enough about the Digger anchor. It comes up very easy and squeaky clean every time due to a release that disengages the tines. They are very light as well. I’ve only used the smallest version and have had several boats much larger than mine tied up in windy conditions and never had an issue. I use the anchor buddy on an anchor to keep the boat stern in to shore. This allows me to pull the boat in when I need to load everyone up. While not pulled in it sits 10-15 ft off the shore. We have two anchor rigs so we can leave one set up at shore (with a fender to keep the end afloat) for tying up and one on the boat. I really like not having to use a length of chain on the rig, keeps things light and compact. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Jsinc29

I’ve had an anchor buddy break but it was just the rubber tubing inside the nylon rope. The rope held just fine but stretched to 50’ with no stretch. If I’m anchoring in a cove and hanging out, I just use the anchor buddy but if I’m camping overnight, I run an anchor line parallel to the anchor buddy. It’s all situational for me. I use a 13# folding grapnel anchor and it has worked just fine for me for the last 6 years. Nice and compact and fits in the bow gunwale by the cup holders. 

Edited by isellacuras

Box anchor is the truth.  We are just mad we didn't order it sooner.  Saves an incredible amount of time and frustration.  I use the danik hook off the front cleat.

I lost my box anchor last weekend. Made the mistake of not checking the connection from the anchor to the line and when I pulled it up, no anchor. Screw came loose.

6 hours ago, Goodjhunting said:

I lost my box anchor last weekend. Made the mistake of not checking the connection from the anchor to the line and when I pulled it up, no anchor. Screw came loose.

Not the first one I have heard of coming loose. LOCTITE that connection.

Oh and you didn't loose it you still know where it is!

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve never had an issue. I guess in 3-4ft of water it could be an issue. I just set the anchor accordingly. I use a bouye to mark my anchor line location so no one hits it. 

On 8/21/2019 at 6:34 PM, Cole2001 said:

How do you guys make the anchor buddy work in super shallow water? Won’t it just have way to much length and float all over the place. 

I added a bow cleat for this very reason.  I take up some slack and tie off from there.

On 8/19/2019 at 1:25 PM, Five Cent Worth said:

Box anchor is the truth.  We are just mad we didn't order it sooner.  Saves an incredible amount of time and frustration.  I use the danik hook off the front cleat.

Same here.  My only complaint is the size and weight.  I should have gotten the tiny one.  The small is way more than enough for a 23' boat.

1 hour ago, eubanks said:

Same here.  My only complaint is the size and weight.  I should have gotten the tiny one.  The small is way more than enough for a 23' boat.

I use a Small for front anchor and have a Baby Box onboard for times I use an anchor off the rear along with the Front. I usually end up anchoring for 2 or 3 more boats with the Small Box. I don't think the Baby would hold all that.

• Like 3