Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat lift options

ibelieve

Am looking at boat lifts and wondering if the floating lifts are to much to attach to a small dock. I am leaning toward this type and know that they are available in both front and side mount versions. I am also thinking that maybe the lift gets attached to fixed pylons instead of the dock so as to be more sturdy.

Are there pros to the lifts that sit on the bottom? Is the slope of the shoreline an issue with these? I am planning the entry to the lift as being parallel to the shoreline.

Interested in your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks,

Steve

Ah, didn't see this before I responded in the other one. Floating lift is probably best with your water level fluctuation. I have seen some on a lake near home and they look pretty slick, especially if you have electricity nearby. Not sure how good they are when covered tho with wind to consider. I'd think you would want them well anchored to posts but would have to be in a way that they can freely move up and down. Not sure why you want to go into it parallel to shore tho.

If I get the boat in this weekend I'll drive by and get some manufacturer names for you. I did talk to one guy with a mastercraft on one and he loved it. But on that lake they are almost a requirement cuz the water goes up and down on almost a weekly basis.

The slant of the bottom does not really matter on lifts that sit on the bottom, the legs telescope to match your bottom contour. But your water fluctuation would be a real pain with them. If you go that route you would need the vertical lift type, not the cantelever kind.

Floating Docks can be designed sturdy.. of course, I don't have any experiance with ice - but all docks around here float.. no issues

We built all our docks at my parents river house - with an enclosed boat house, and polly lift (floating). The docks are secured by pilings, and just ride up and down onthe pilings as the water level changes

I have not seen this lake in the winter time but assume it will have some ice. Not sure I would ever feel safe walking on it though.

The lake is 110 acres and stream fed, so it has some flow all year long. The bottom is some silt over an otherwise rocky bottom. It will see boat wakes but do to sizing limits on the lake, there will be no wakeboard type boats. I/Os and us, with the wedge down, will be about it.

There are regulations about how large the dock can be and how far out the dock can sit, a max of 25' from shore. Most of the existing docks have about a 8 - 10' ramp that is attached to concrete on shore and a floating dock stabilized by pylons (pipes).

The reason for a lift running parallel with shore is because of the dock sizing regulations. I was thinking of having the lift behind the dock with entry to the boat from only the one side.

Hope the 2 seperate posts (dock / lift) are not confusing. I was afraid one topic or the other would get lost if they were both ask together.

/Steve

I am kind of having trouble picturing your situation. I have an econolift for my boat at the Marina we use. It uses a large plastic box to hold air, and an electric pump to fill. It is attached at four points to the sides of the slip. The slip does not receive any lifting pressure, it is simply there for side to side and front to back stability. Water level fluctuations have no effect as the lift will go up or down with the water level, as does the floating dock.

I am kind of having trouble picturing your situation. I have an econolift for my boat at the Marina we use. It uses a large plastic box to hold air, and an electric pump to fill. It is attached at four points to the sides of the slip. The slip does not receive any lifting pressure, it is simply there for side to side and front to back stability. Water level fluctuations have no effect as the lift will go up or down with the water level, as does the floating dock.

Does wave action cause the lift to put any stress on the dock? Where can I find info on the lift you have?

Thanks,

Steve

i've actually seen one of those Sunstream floaters on a mooring in Newport harbor holding a large boat. It seems really weird riding past a boat in the middle of the harbor lifted. It is solar powered, with the controls and panels mounted on the lift itself.