Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Metal fab shop around Sac to modify a Swoop tower??

peter19u

Hi:

I'm trying to get a VLX I'm about to purchase to fit in through my 7' garage door and the Swoop tower arms stick up around 4-6" too high. I thought that maybe I could have a metal fab shop weld in some sort of hinges on the ams that stick up so I could collapse them down when I need to put the boat in the garage and then lock them in place when the boat is out of the garage. Can anyone think of some place around Sacramento that could do this. The other option is to purchase the top half of the low profile swoop tower from Syklon but they want $1500 which is pretty steep.

Thanks,

Pete

I modified mine for the same reason.

What I had done is cut the arms right at the cross bar. Welded a sleve inside the maing tower with a 1 inch threads. The arm piece that was cut off has a sleeve with a 1 inch stud in it so I can just screw the arms on and off as I please. I did it this way to make it look much cleaner in general. I had a place here in Modesto do it. All in all to do all the fabrication, sandblast and repowdercoat the whole thing. I think I spent roughly 450 dollars. I can try to get some pics if you would like. I have never been happier since I did it. I hated with a passion taking that whole top off everytime I went out. I did more damage to my boat doing that, than anything else.

Chad

Hi:

I'm trying to get a VLX I'm about to purchase to fit in through my 7' garage door and the Swoop tower arms stick up around 4-6" too high. I thought that maybe I could have a metal fab shop weld in some sort of hinges on the ams that stick up so I could collapse them down when I need to put the boat in the garage and then lock them in place when the boat is out of the garage. Can anyone think of some place around Sacramento that could do this. The other option is to purchase the top half of the low profile swoop tower from Syklon but they want $1500 which is pretty steep.

Thanks,

Pete

I had some brackets for my trailer rollers made at Inch's in Loomis. Might be worth giving them a call.

Inch's Tooling & Machining

3230 Taylor Rd

Loomis, CA , 95650-9582

Phone: 916-652-0628

FAX: 916-652-0628

Edited by Addictedto6

I had my roll cage built, *inside* the Pimpala at Thornhill Engineering in Rancho Cordova..

Boss Towers is over here in this neck of the woods too - not sure they'd help you, but might be worth a call. maybe they'd have a referral

Here is Thornhill's info:

Thornhill Engineering

Address: 3265 Monier Cir # A, Rancho Cordova, CA 95742

Phone: (916) 635-6530

Thanks for all the feedback! Chad if you could send me some pics and the name of the place in Modesto that would be great. Maybe I can show the pics to the place in Loomis to see if they could do it or I could bring the boat to modesto. My tower is brushed aluminum so it may be a little less work and $450 sounds better than $1500 for a new top section of a tower.

-Pete

Maybe you would just as soon not end up with a low profile tower in the end but have you thought about buying a whole low profile tower and then selling the one that is on the boat? Not sure what the price difference would be doing it that way tho. You might be able to leave the bottom half on your boat and sell the new bottom with the used higher top.

Sounds like Forwaken has your ticket anyway tho.

You could also try Warlocks/Bullet in Rancho Cordova. Jaime builds Bullet Towers that look like Skylons, maybe they could help fab something up.

Warlocks 916-859-0126

Hey Guys:

Got the new boat home and the good news is it fits in the garage lengthwise but with the tower folded down it's about 4" too tall. I took the top part of the tower off and it was kinda a pain so I decided to take the entire tower off and I'm gonna drive it down to the place in Modesto that modified Chads tower (thanks for sending the pics Chad). It may be a ways away but they did a really nice job so I don't mind. Without the arms sticking over the top of the windshield it will fit.

Stewart, I was thinking of upgradind the system myself (adding sub, amps more speakers, dual batteries and so forth). I've installed some stereo equipment in my cars many many years ago and I don't want to screw anything up so I was thinking I may just take it over to Warlocks and have them do the work. Do they do a nice job and are they pretty reasonble. I could probably save some money buying the gear on ebay and doing it myself but I don't want to screw anything up. I'm also not that handy when it comes to wood and building a sub enclosure. Can't wait to get everything together and out on the water.

Thanks for all the help!

-Pete

Hey Guys:

Got the new boat home and the good news is it fits in the garage lengthwise but with the tower folded down it's about 4" too tall. I took the top part of the tower off and it was kinda a pain so I decided to take the entire tower off and I'm gonna drive it down to the place in Modesto that modified Chads tower (thanks for sending the pics Chad). It may be a ways away but they did a really nice job so I don't mind. Without the arms sticking over the top of the windshield it will fit.

Stewart, I was thinking of upgradind the system myself (adding sub, amps more speakers, dual batteries and so forth). I've installed some stereo equipment in my cars many many years ago and I don't want to screw anything up so I was thinking I may just take it over to Warlocks and have them do the work. Do they do a nice job and are they pretty reasonble. I could probably save some money buying the gear on ebay and doing it myself but I don't want to screw anything up. I'm also not that handy when it comes to wood and building a sub enclosure. Can't wait to get everything together and out on the water.

Thanks for all the help!

-Pete

Jaimes products and service are top notch. Tell him your part of the Crew and that you we're refered over there. I know several on the crew whom had their systems installed by them.

Jaimes products and service are top notch. Tell him your part of the Crew and that you we're refered over there. I know several on the crew whom had their systems installed by them.

I have had 4 systems done by them, and each one was awesome. They do a very clean install, and do not try to over engineer the system.

Tell Jaime your from the Malibu Crew and he will do you a solid.

You might want to also ask him about your tower while your at it. They do all there tower fab work in house. It might save you a trip.

Hey Stewart:

I spoke to Jamie who mentioned he could not do the metal work because the piping he uses for his towers is 2" and the swoop tower is 17/8". He seemed like a really nice guy and knew what he was talking about so I dropped my boat off and he's putting in a system for me. Can't wait to hear what it sounds like. He also gave me a good deal since I mentioned the malibucrew.

I've got the tower loaded on my truck and I'll be heading down to Modesto tomorrow to have the mod work done.

-Pete