Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

8.1l Oil Change Specs.

I recently did my first oil change on the 8.1L in my 06 247. Prior oil changes were done by the dealer.

In researching which oil filter was needed I contacted the dealer and they said Indmar spec'd out AC Delco PF454.

I then cross referenced this to get some other choices for my beloved 8.1L.

AC Delco PF454

K&N HP-1011

Mobil 1* 1-111

WIX 57099

Napa Gold FIL 7099

Fram PH 8873

Purolator PureOne* L15313

Amsoil EA EA059

Amsoil Super Duty SDF59

*highly rated by oil filter study

The filter is very difficult to get a hold of. Not much room to work with, even worse than the HH383 on the 23 LSV Mad.gif Luckily, I bought a filter wrench that attaches to the bottom of the filter and has a 1" nut molded into it. I tried to use a 1" open end wrench but the wrench was too long. So I switched to a 3/8" drive socket wrench (the filter wrench has a 3/8" square in the center). Luckily the socket wrench was short enough and I was able to get the filter off. A traditional strap type filter wrench would not have worked in this situation, not enough room to work with.

One interesting note: The K&N Filters come with a nut welded on the bottom which would make them ideal for close quarters like the engine compartment. Just use a scoket wrench :)

The recommended oil viscosity on the 8.1L is SAE 40w. Indmar specs out 8qts of oil. I went with Pennzoil Marine SAE 40 (cuz Pete had some left over). :) Next change will probably be synthetic since I am now over 100 hours. the 8.1L calls for 8 qts.

I used the Tempo Oil Boy to extract the oil through the hose on the oil pan. The hose on the engine pan has a 1/4" male pipe thread. The Tempo comes with a 3/4" female hose thread.

I built the following adapter: 1) 1/2" to 1/4" Female Thread Coupling 2) 3/4" Male Hose Thread w/ 1/2" male pipe thread. See below:

post-28-1161277591_thumb.jpg

Edited by stewart

I would use Baldwin or Wix. The book says 8 quarts, but Indmar's specs on the 8.1 boast an 10 qt pan. Make sure the engine is level when you suck it out or you will not get all the old oil out of the center drain pan and maybe it will only take 8 qts to refill.

I am running Mobil 1 Delvac 5-40 Synthetic. It is about $150 for 5 gallons (2 changes). I duplicated the oil filter study and found the two above filters superior in construction over Fram, PUrolator, and AC . You can also get a longer (more surface area) version of the "PF454" from Baldwin and Wix if you think you have enough room to fish the old filter from the bilge. I also found oil absorbant diapers are great in the bilge to soak up the drips and it does not drip like a rag or paper towels.

If you have an LSV with an 8.1 with a shower, it is next to impossible to get to the filter. Let alone get it out once remove. I added a remote oil filter kit at my first oil change. Indmar sells a kit made for the 8.1. Since I did 4 oil changes this season this ended up being money well spent!

I added a remote oil filter kit at my first oil change. Indmar sells a kit made for the 8.1.

Sounds like a great idea to reduce the PITA factor in changing the oil.

If you have an LSV with an 8.1 with a shower, it is next to impossible to get to the filter. Let alone get it out once remove. I added a remote oil filter kit at my first oil change. Indmar sells a kit made for the 8.1. Since I did 4 oil changes this season this ended up being money well spent!

And the hydraulics manifold for the power wedge Crazy.gif

Do you have any pictures of the remote setup?

And the hydraulics manifold for the power wedge Crazy.gif

Do you have any pictures of the remote setup?

No... Next time I head to the lake I will take some. Maybe this weekend. It's about time to winterize.

• 9 months later...

UPDATE: After doing a little research I got the Indmar part number for the remote oil filter kit, INDMAR PART NUMBER S495127. The price is $275.50. Shocking.gif The INDMAR version has a bracket included that will mount the filter just behind the cylinder head on the odd bank side (?). The remote oil filters use the PZ3 size filter which is larger than the AC PF454 which is used on the 8.1L.

After weighing the cost, I decided to do just the oil change this go around. I am using a NAPA Cup Oil Filter wrench 3-3/4" dia that fits both the 8.1L oil filters and the 5.7L PZ3 and equivalent. The wrench fits over the bottom of the filter and lines up with fluted end of the filter. I use a small 3/8" socket drive that fits into the bottom of the filter and it gives me enough room to turn the filter off even with all the equipment around it. It also has a 1" nut welded on the bottom. I went with a the Mobil 1 1-111 filter again, but will change to a NAPA 7099 or Wix 57099 next time. The reason being that the Mobil 1 filter is all black and extremely hard to see in the dark bilge.

Oil of choice this time around was Valvoline VR1 SAE 40 oil. It meets the requirements for the SAE 40 ratings and is one of the few oils out there that still uses ZDDP. The 8.1L took 8qts and was full. I tried to get the engine as level as possible but it still needed an inch or so rise to get it there. (Next time I will place a block of wood under the tailer wheel and see if I can get it more level). In the meantime, I will run it and check it on the water to get a level reading and see if it needs anymore oil.

I know the 8.1L specs at 10 qts. If it only takes 8qts this time, I will contact Indmar and verify if I got the 10qt dipstick :)

Edited by stewart
I was wondering... My 8.1 used 10. Indmar told my dealer to use 8 quarts of oil and 2 quarts of Lucas additive. You must have the wrong dip stick.

Why?

I was wondering... My 8.1 used 10. Indmar told my dealer to use 8 quarts of oil and 2 quarts of Lucas additive. You must have the wrong dip stick.

Why?

I don't remember... My dealer and his mechanic were told thas at cert class in '06.

• 12 years later...

Is anyone interested in this  Indmar Billet Alum. Remote Oil Filter Kit 8.1 Liter,495127
Remote Oil Filter Kit includes billet aluminum relocator pieces, & all necessary brackets, hoses, & hardware to install remote oil filter on GM 8.1 Liter engine.

IMG_1761.jpg

33 minutes ago, 247LVer said:

Is anyone interested in this  Indmar Billet Alum. Remote Oil Filter Kit 8.1 Liter,495127
Remote Oil Filter Kit includes billet aluminum relocator pieces, & all necessary brackets, hoses, & hardware to install remote oil filter on GM 8.1 Liter engine.

IMG_1761.jpg

Anybody have a clue if this adapter fits the Monsoon 340?

1 minute ago, 247LVer said:

What Filter P.N. does your motor use ? 

The 340 Monsoon uses Indmar 872023 filter.  I would have to look at my records, but I believe I use the NAPA 1069 filter.

18 hours ago, kylesullens said:

The 340 Monsoon uses Indmar 872023 filter.  I would have to look at my records, but I believe I use the NAPA 1069 filter.

Indmar shows that 872023 filter. also fits 8.1 L ... 
...........So if you are correct that is the same filter for both motors, then you could probably make this relocation kit work.

https://inboardonline.com/indmar-oil-filter-for-gm-5-7l-8-1l-and-454-replaces-indmar-501000-501001-filters-single-filter-872023-1/

Edited by 247LVer