Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What rules to give friends on the boat?

Josh7711

Also if a toddler is on our boat, a PARENT must be also. If 2 toddlers are on the boat, BOTH PARENTS must be also. I also tell the parents that THEY are responsible for their kids.

Oh yeah, if you are falling while surfing, LET GO OF THE ROPE and COVER UP! I broke my finger trying to prolong the ride 4 yrs ago. I always preach that.

And I have never yet accepted gas money. I might at some point, but I am  just happy to have diff peeps on the boat.

Edited by carguy79ta
  • Like 2
12 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

I hope nobody chimes in with the no walking on cushions rule, do you know how impossible that is on a non walk thru rear or bow Axis!! OR a a Malibu with the rear view seat

I don't get this one either.  Impossible not to walk on the seats and more likely to get somebody hurting trying to avoid it.  We walked all over the seats on our 2005 and it took about 13 years to see any tearing of the vinyl at the seams.  I would much rather walk on them and replace a panel every 10+ years.

• Like 2

Hopefully this adds to the original post and doesn't de-rail it...- What about directions for getting into the boat for friends/family that have bad knees/hips/etc... I find a lot of weight gets dropped directly on the rear seat cushions since they cant support their own weight comfortably. I'm always there to give them physical support getting in but that doesn't seem to work either.

Don't horseplay neither the window.

Listen to the driver.

Depending on size of child...don't jump off the platform, it's not a diving board.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

With docking I have realized over the years it’s easier to just get things done myself or by other family members

I usually try as well but when there are 6-12 people in the boat it is hard to get out of the drivers seat.

2 hours ago, Woodski said:

Good to request a bit of quiet when getting the handle holder up and out of the water,

I always ask the rider to hold the handle up so I can see it, that signals to me they are ready for slack out.

56 minutes ago, Slurpee said:

Ill swim against the tide and say I allow shoes. Always have. I have to wear them all the time after all.  But by that I mean boat shoes. Nothing with a heel. Nothing marking. And the tread needs to be checked hosed clean.  Because little rocks stuck in the tread can scratch things.  I suspect that is where the panic over seeing a shoe in a boat comes from.  Their have never been cuts or scratches or torn seams in my boats (from shoes at least).

A shoe in a boat isn’t a magic wand of entropy that makes seems pop and vinyl tear. My big buddy who steps down in the seat heavily with his heel instead of his whole foot evenly is just that though. Boards getting tossed and slid around, yes.

We also allow shoes if they have laces and what not. People with slip ons usually kick them off before stepping in. But also watch out for those Reef flip flops with bottle openers on the sole. Those I worry about. We will put a towel down on the vinyl when we pick people up at the dock. I usually ask them to hand me the ice chest. And newbies with boards and fins have caused the most damage to our vinyl.

4 hours ago, The Hulk said:

Has anyone actually damaged their boat via food/drinks yet? the vinyl seems near impossible to stain assuming u whipe it up at some point during the day

The peat dirt in the water where we boat is the worst. I have given up on weekly cleaning of the floors. And the Gatorstep cleans amazingly easy.

4 hours ago, saxton15 said:

No damage yet.  These things are pretty resilient.  I have a 4 and 1 year old, we just choose snacks accordingly, there nothing a shop vac can't pick up.  And frankly the most damage done was either one of my tools, or a dog that sheds.  I think I vacuumed up dog hair for nearly a year.  

We have a 17 year old Jack Russel who has been on our boats since day one. Never a problem with nails, however the white hair on black gel.  But I know if she isn't on the boat, the wife and daughter wont be either:rofl: It will all clean in time

• Like 3

Related to giving instructions while docking:

There are several public parks with docks on our lake and we use them all to tie up briefly while using the restroom, meeting other members of our party, etc.  There is always that dude on the dock that is compelled to help me dock the boat.  I get that people want to be helpful - I do the same thing by asking "need a hand"?  The serial-dock-assistant will grab the gunnel or tower to "help" which screws up my angle when trying to swing the stern in.  Really goes down hill when he starts giving me advice: "its shallow here, be sure to raise your drive" or "use reverse to swing your back end over to the left", or some other pearl of wisdom.   I usually tell him "I appreciate the help, but I have a strategy that works for me.  Please step back".  Then he gets pissed....

With my luck, the good samaritan will end up getting pulled into the drink, or worse getting a hand or foot caught between the dock and the rub rail.

Last weekend was a particularly busy weekend.  Most of the docks were full of guys fishing/drinking/wrenching on their seadoos.  During one docking session, I had 5 guys on the dock "helping".  This adds to the number of things I have to pay attention to which raises my stress level.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, The Hulk said:

Has anyone actually damaged their boat via food/drinks yet? the vinyl seems near impossible to stain assuming u whipe it up at some point during the day. Wine on carpet perhaps if u let it sit all week, power washing carpet seems to take most things out. I mean yeah I have a few stains on the carpet from things thatbsat for days in noticed but u can hardly see after power washing and by the time it's bad I'll need a new carpet snap in anyhow. i agree with some on here ive been on some food/beverage Nazi boats and I my wife and I were like we never want to go out with them again sucked all the fun out of it. Their boat their rules I get it but just keep a small tub of cleaning supplies in the boat and all good. 

Only thing that has permanently stained by seats is the ATF for the vdrive. That red stuff is terrible.I take all my rear seats out when I change fluids when winterizing now. 

We just did wake the world yesterday. Bags of cheetos, red gatorade, bring it on! It all wipes right off.

All my rules are safety related and all have been said. Unless it's my wife or one of my own children helping me I dock and handle all bumpers myself. Getting people to stay seated is sometimes hard with non boat people.

Also, having a pontoon boat to use for cruising when you aren't out doing watersports is fantastic. So much more room and i clean it with a leaf blower.

• Like 3

Somebody said my #1 already: the person at the helm is in charge, do what they ask/tell and don't ask questions. The boat owner may not be the one at the helm, but that doesn't matter. Even if I'm the owner, the person at the helm is in charge.

An additional thought if you're in a location that requires a "rider down" flag: if the flag isn't in the air then put it on the floor, not on the seat, not resting on the seat against the gunnel, not holding on to it,, etc. If someone steps on it or falls on it, then it's going to break, if it breaks it's sharp and someone is going to get stabbed AND you need to get a new flag before you can do anything in the water again. If you step on the flag when it's on the floor it's not going to break.

Oh, and if you're the one holding the flag: hold it above the bimini and equipment in the racks. Other people have to be able to see it for it to be effective!

• Like 2

We don't have too many but a few come to mind: 

* Shoes off and stored in the boat

* Kids wear life jackets all day (no exceptions)

* Kids butts on the seats when underway

* No spray sunscreen (new one for us)

* I loosely try to enforce no crumbling food or at least have kids eat them at the back of the boat, but this is a losing battle

* Have fun!

My buddy used to have people dry off on the boat of the boat...at least within reason so that you're not bringing buckets of water into the boat.  I thought he was insane, but now being the primary cleaner of the seats and black deck at the end of a hot day on the new boat, this one might have to go onto the list!  I let this go with the older boat, but the new one I've been very strict about drying between the cushions at the end of the day.  And that is a PITA especially for the bow with where all the water goes and how it spots the black deck.

• Like 4

Just remember - It doesn't matter how many times you remind them that you're going for direct and quick delivery of information because timing is critical. In my boat, you will still get called cranky when you skip the "please" when asking for minor assistance when docking during tougher conditions. Most especially when the help you are asking for is "STOP HELPING!!!". 

And, like several above, I've never solicited gas money from my guests, but I don't recall ever turning it down if someone offers while we are at the pump. 

Edited by BigCreek
12 minutes ago, BigCreek said:

In my boat, you will still get called cranky when you skip the "please" when asking for minor assistance when docking during tougher conditions.

Sounds like you should let you wife drive a few times!  So she'll realize where you're coming from.

2 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

Sounds like you should let you wife drive a few times!  So she'll realize where you're coming from.

I've encouraged her 1,000,000 times to try. She can barely drive a car without crashing it, so the boat is something she just will not attempt. I've given up on that solution. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, mikeo said:

Even if I'm the owner, the person at the helm is in charge.

34 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

+1!

Unless overruled by the owner.  :salute:

• Like 3

I don't think I've seen anyone post no-smoking on the boat yet?  I put a couple of small decals in two places on two separate instances had someone start smoking.  In one instance, ash blew off and instantly stained white vinyl.

• Like 3

Docking at our marina slip has become challenging since the next slip is occupied by another 23 LSV.  These docks were designed with 18' runabouts in mind.  Parking two wide-beamed surf boats next to each other, both with tower racks, is a tricky gambit.  When we are parked and secured, there is about 10" between our board racks.  I haven't met the other boat owner yet.  They aren't around much (we are there 3-4 times a week).  I'm hoping they will request a move to a slip where they can dock on the starboard side for easier docking.

When the wind is blowing, docking is a full-pucker operation.  I like to think that I'm as good a boat operator as you'll find, but i've had to take several stabs at it a few times.

boats.thumb.jpg.a042cb465dddd9622ce10f60a8580259.jpg

26 minutes ago, John I. said:

Unless overruled by the owner.  :salute:

Nope!  As hard as it is for me, the owner, the person at the helm is in charge.  Can't have two captains on a ship.  I will only say something if one of my first two rules is about to be violated.

4 hours ago, carguy79ta said:

Also if a toddler is on our boat, a PARENT must be also. If 2 toddlers are on the boat, BOTH PARENTS must be also. I also tell the parents that THEY are responsible for their kids.

Oh yeah, if you are falling while surfing, LET GO OF THE ROPE and COVER UP! I broke my finger trying to prolong the ride 4 yrs ago. I always preach that.

And I have never yet accepted gas money. I might at some point, but I am  just happy to have diff peeps on the boat.

Speaking of gas money.  I have a buddy that had a bigger fishing boat on Lake Michigan.  We would do a lot of trolling out there.  He had this sign on his boat.  I have not accepted gas money and don't expect people to give me any.  Although I did find his sign funny and true.

image.png.f3c73944856bdd6f6316e992d6790b46.png

That saying has been around on T-shirts and stuff for ages.  Got real popular when gas was 4 bucks a gallon a while back.

We have an understanding in our slalom crew.  If your boat is pulling, each skier chips in a bit at the end of the day, unless your boat is next in the rotation.

• Like 1