Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What rules to give friends on the boat?

Josh7711

Thank you for advance for reading this everyone.

I just bought my first boat ever, new Malibu Wakesetter MLX. Very excited.  Over the past month i've been driving it as much as possible learning as much as I can.

I'm about comfortable enough to having more people on the boat.  The people I'll have on the boat will be buddies and girlfriends.  

What are the most common rules for my guests?

My main concern is for everyone to be safe and have a good time.  One of my buddies let my boat bump the dock way too hard the other day because he didn't know it was ok to stick his arm out and grab the dock.  I didn't get too upset but it made me realize I need to communicate better expectations to my crew.  

Thank you,

Josh

So I have a few rules on my boat.

Be safe

No shoes on the boat (if you have to they get stowed)

No cheetoes or similar that stains.

Drivers word is law. Notice I may not be the driver, and they should be sober and paying attention.

I also stop before we dock or do anything major so I can get everyone on the same page as to what I expect, or what we need to do. I normally have my 2-3 people I appoint to do specific jobs like helping dock.

I also teach folks common signs like stop (patting the top of the head) because sometimes hearing is a challenge. If someone does it on the boat I kill the tunes.

Edited by Nacibound
  • Like 2

No shoes

Mind the rope at all times, especially when it's on the floor and there's a handle out

Seated while moving unless specifically asked to move by the driver

For drivers: never get out of the seat unless the boat is locked into neutral, and never engage drive if you're not at the helm and seated

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Josh7711 said:

Thank you for advance for reading this everyone.

I just bought my first boat ever, new Malibu Wakesetter MLX. Very excited.  Over the past month i've been driving it as much as possible learning as much as I can.

I'm about comfortable enough to having more people on the boat.  The people I'll have on the boat will be buddies and girlfriends.  

What are the most common rules for my guests?

My main concern is for everyone to be safe and have a good time.  One of my buddies let my boat bump the dock way too hard the other day because he didn't know it was ok to stick his arm out and grab the dock.  I didn't get too upset but it made me realize I need to communicate better expectations to my crew.  

Thank you,

Josh

No , it’s not them nor lack of communication 

actually there is a rule about docks:

never approach one faster than your willing to hit

and that is whether it’s the point of the bow or side of boat (which could have float/bumpers on it at wide points) to  prevent rub rail damage

and keep everyone seated so YOU, can hit a stiff reverse to prevent that from happening or move the stern sideways to right into dock do bumpers contact first

Edited by granddaddy55

I hope nobody chimes in with the no walking on cushions rule, do you know how impossible that is on a non walk thru rear or bow Axis!! OR a a Malibu with the rear view seat

im sure it will make the cushions last but why not just buy all of your factory colors bulk material when boat is new and be prepared for future maintenance , the bulk vinyl is stupid cheap at $44/yd with a 52-60”? Width 

i think it’s the dummest fun killing rule for a crowd having fun  

• Like 3

agreed on the stay seated when docking, also let the majority of people get off they boat. Then hand them their "stuff", it becomes a cluster when you have several people trying to grab things from every corner of the boat. 

17 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

When I’m approaching a dock, another boy or trailer, I always tell people to keep their hands in, don’t grab anything because it will throw me off and probably hurt you. But please do something if I  ask, only if I ask. 

I’ve laxed on the food and drink. Come have fun, be safe and clean up if you spill something. 

My daughter knows to keep her hands in the boat when we are docking, but I am always warning nieces, nephews and neighbor kids to keep their hands in the boat when they come out With us. I have spring loaded guide posts on my shore station that will get you if hands are out and the boat bumps those.

Have fun. Don’t go to jail. Don’t go to emergency. And if vinyl is properly treated,  it usually cleans easy. Bring what you want but don’t be stupid and spill all over.  Only thing we don’t allow is sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds. Pistachios. Stuff that has a waste. They get messy quick. And no individually wrapped candys with papers.

Get in have fun and be safe. The boat can be fixed bodies can’t. 

Edit to add. The rope is the most dangerous thing in the boat. 

Edited by Sparky450
  • Like 2

That is a good one about keeping your hands in the boat while docking. We dont do much of that since we launch and retrieve while at our lake and the half mile drive back to the "lakehouse"(in MO..) all youngsters have a vest on when they get on the dock and not to be removed until the boat or they are on terra firma. Driver determines stereo volume. Also butts are planted before we go underway. Some nonboaters try to sit on the gunnel.

No shoes leave em on the dock, unless headed to a restaurant. Cant stand this!! 

Bring whatever u want with the assumption it may get soaked

Sit down when boat is moving

Toddlers absolutely NOT allowed in bow without adult while boat's moving.

Kids wear jackets no exceptions, unless parked at a shallow sandbar and they are avid swimmers and even then probably 8 or older minimum. If you can't swim u wear a jacket. You may actually be surprised how many adults can't swim no joke seems stupid but u should ask. Many ppl love to show up for a boat and day on the lake that have no clue how to swim or can barely survive in water. 

Rope awareness when surfing it's not a noose!

Engine off when folks are boarding 

Any food and drinks are fair game since half will end up on the boat floor anyhow.. the more Cheetos the better!

Attempt to spill red wine and dripping popciclles on the outside of the boat when possible or dillute with water after spilled. 

Help clean up after docking or don't expect to be invited back.. 

17 minutes ago, kylesullens said:

there is also the question if sharing the cost of fuel.  I'm sure not everyone operates this way, but if I invite you on my boat, I don't expect you to chip in for fuel.  this is what I do for fun and I am happy to share it with folks.  just as if I ask you to come over for dinner, I don't ask you to chip in for the steaks.  I can afford it and don't mind.  if you bring your roommate and his two friends, maybe a different story.

I don't mind food - I have 3 kids so being a crumb and spill nazi would take a lot of energy. 

I like your attitude. Kinda the way I feel also. Being anal takes the fun away for our friends/family. I wipe the boat and seats weekly myself. When I purchased our first new boat I was very anal about everything to the point my wife who is my best friend did not want to go out on the water. Now that I have relaxed she pushes me to be on the water.

Everyone needs to be able to enjoy the boat. It is a material item that can be fixed/repaired.

Remember we purchase our boats to enjoy life and have fun.😁😁BE SAFE!! 

• Like 3

With docking I have realized over the years it’s easier to just get things done myself or by other family members. That way I know it’s done right and how I want it. Getting newbies to do it just ends up taking longer. 

Encourage clean snacks and drinks. No shoes of course. 

Most importantly make sure everyone is safe, yet having fun! 

• Like 2
MalibuNation

Pretty much what the others have said +

Remind people how dangerous the rope is ... kids especially like to help with it when you are slowly pulling away from the rider.

No chocolate.

I used to say no smoking until someone left a cup of chew in my boat so now it is no tobacco :)

Only one person gives out instructions to newbies riders.

Pickup riders on the starboard side.

No power turns unless a down rider is in danger or hurt.

• Like 3

Has anyone actually damaged their boat via food/drinks yet? the vinyl seems near impossible to stain assuming u whipe it up at some point during the day. Wine on carpet perhaps if u let it sit all week, power washing carpet seems to take most things out. I mean yeah I have a few stains on the carpet from things thatbsat for days in noticed but u can hardly see after power washing and by the time it's bad I'll need a new carpet snap in anyhow. i agree with some on here ive been on some food/beverage Nazi boats and I my wife and I were like we never want to go out with them again sucked all the fun out of it. Their boat their rules I get it but just keep a small tub of cleaning supplies in the boat and all good. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

Has anyone actually damaged their boat via food/drinks yet? the vinyl seems near impossible to stain assuming u whipe it up at some point during the day. Wine on carpet perhaps if u let it sit all week, power washing carpet seems to take most things out. I mean yeah I have a few stains on the carpet from things thatbsat for days in noticed but u can hardly see after power washing and by the time it's bad I'll need a new carpet snap in anyhow. i agree with some on here ive been on some food/beverage Nazi boats and I my wife and I were like we never want to go out with them again sucked all the fun out of it. Their boat their rules I get it but just keep a small tub of cleaning supplies in the boat and all good. 

No damage yet.  These things are pretty resilient.  I have a 4 and 1 year old, we just choose snacks accordingly, there nothing a shop vac can't pick up.  And frankly the most damage done was either one of my tools, or a dog that sheds.  I think I vacuumed up dog hair for nearly a year.  

• Like 3

Communication protocols for your skier / rider / surfer since once they are on the water as hand signals are it (unless really close).  Designated spotter needs to watch and focus on him/her/them.  (my dog does a much better job of spotting compared to most guests, I am not kidding here!)

Good to request a bit of quiet when getting the handle holder up and out of the water, he/she is the most important aspect particularly just hopping off the platform until the handle goes tight for verbal communication, and then visual until the end of the run and back on the platform.  Shut the engine off when they are getting back on the platform (unless that is part of the ride itself).

• Like 2
MalibuNation

I'll 2nd what @Woodski says about spotters spotting.  My main crews I don't have to tell them ... but in today's world where people stare at their cell phones a good part of the day I remind newbies how important spotting is.  Nothing like seeing someone go down in the mirror and turn to the spotter and tell them nicely "they are down" :)

• Like 3

All good ones. I especially like reminding the cell phone junkies to ‘spot’.

Make your own decisions on shoes though.  Rather than just jump on the “no shoes” band wagon without further thought.

Ill swim against the tide and say I allow shoes. Always have. I have to wear them all the time after all.  But by that I mean boat shoes. Nothing with a heel. Nothing marking. And the tread needs to be checked hosed clean.  Because little rocks stuck in the tread can scratch things.  I suspect that is where the panic over seeing a shoe in a boat comes from.  Their have never been cuts or scratches or torn seams in my boats (from shoes at least).

A shoe in a boat isn’t a magic wand of entropy that makes seems pop and vinyl tear. My big buddy who steps down in the seat heavily with his heel instead of his whole foot evenly is just that though. Boards getting tossed and slid around, yes.  Grocery bags transferring their silk screening, yes.  Fresh toenail and fingernail polish, yes.  Dragging coolers around on the seats, yes.  Certain jeans and pants that have prominent snaps, buttons, or decoration such that the boot scoot scratches things, yes.  Shoes? Nope.

All that being said, people who show up and remove their shoes on their own and stow them get points towards being invited back just because of the effort. 

• Like 2

I always remind kids that aren't mine that they are not allowed to touch the tow rope at any time unless directed by me to do so. Don't bounce the boat on the hoist, move to the bow and sit down while unloading from the hoist. When docking I remind them to stay seated, be quite, keep arms and heads inside the boat, and don't try to help unless I tell you to do something.

My kids just do all this out of habit, but I often take out kids that only come on the boat a couple times a year, so I remind them every trip.

I don't mind most snacks as long as the kids eat them on the swimplatform if they have the potential to be messy. Typically we use my parents pontoon boat for hanging in the bays so my boat isn't exposed to a lot of those snack/spill/trash type issues.

• Like 2